Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > Starcraft II

#1   Report Post  
    Old 09-15-2010, 10:48 AM

Default PCG Starcraft 2 Replay & Help Thread

Hey guys, Ive been thinking about doing this for a while (mainly as our other threads have become a bit long/derailed.

This thread is for posting replays, specifically losses that we could use some analysis on (ie. What did I do wrong? What could I have done better? etc), but also for some replays that show good strategy tips (ie. One where you did something unorthodox/clever and it actually worked).

Any further ideas, feel free to say. Ill go first:

Here is an utterly humiliating defeat at the hands of one TaoMaster, although after watching the replay, it was clear he was far better than me from the start. My question is: What COULD I have done at the start to avoid the MMM rush without compromising my opening (i was going for fast-ish Vikings)?

[url=http://www.gamereplays.org/starcraft2/replays.php?game=33&show=download&id=149144][/url]
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 09-15-2010, 02:11 PM

If you're teching to a higher tier and your opponent is making low tier units, make defense. Bunkers are essentially free, since you can salvage them and get all 100 minerals back
    Also, since you have a factory already. Make seige tanks with seige mode.
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 09-15-2010, 07:16 PM

I think at your skill level all the advice that should be given is in relation to your macro mechanics., so simply put constatnly make scvs and always try to have your money as low as possible.

You build order seems quite inefficient, with you sitting only on one unit producing structure for quite some time, and it also takes you a while to get up your orbital command, which hampers your economy. Say if you had built your barracks on 12, gas at 13, orbital at 15, then factory and second refinery when you have 100 gas, followed by starport right after you could have had your vikings up much more quickly. You also let yourself get supply blocked. What I do is work my first three supply depots into my build, generally 10, 16 and 22, and then have an scv constantly building supply depots.

Although your mechanics are the most important thing to worry about, you also have to question your long term strategy and what you want to do. Vikings are strong in that situation because they can bypass the rocks and get in some good scouting, as well as snipe the opponents medivacs, but they aren't strong in a direct fight if your opponent went, say, mass marauders. In conjunction with tanks however Vikings are great, as siege mode tanks can shoot farther than they can see, so Vikings can give the tanks that extra bit of sight.

I've included a replay of one of my TvT where I open up barracks into factory into starport to show you a smooth build, and the kind of thing you should be aiming for. My plan was to get a banshee from my starport, and use that in my initial timing push, then switch on a reactor and start building vikings and use them with tanks as described above. It can adapted for your viking build though, by just making a reactor instead of a tech lab, or no add on at all.

[url=http://www.gamereplays.org/starcraft2/replays.php?game=33&show=download&id=149210][/url]
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 09-15-2010, 08:50 PM

Might be better to move this thread to the folder, now that we have one!
    I am finding a weakness with most terran players is to go airbourne and they tend to neglect their upgrades. I am finding that a well tooled marine army can be used for pretty much any scenario!
    Of course, they are a bit slow, and cant be used for raiding, or lightning strikes, but for a slow steady progression, I'm liking them more and more.
    I also find it odd to be giving advice, considering I'm still relatively new!
    Anyway, another stunning victory! Though not much of a suprise, much like my victory against the frenchman, once he was bottlenecked in his corner, it was only a matter of time.

[url=http://www.gamereplays.org/starcraft2/replays.php?game=33&show=download&id=149222][/url]

Still, on a posative note, I finally got a GG from a defeated opponent!
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 09-15-2010, 09:50 PM

Nice replay, JackRabbit. The guy didn't even know you had a secondary base in the bottom left, and I liked how you pulled a hard right with the Command Center after you flew it halfway across the map.

The biggest flaw, I noticed, is that despite seeing that you focused primarily on ground forces, he still went all-out with Viking anti-air. If he had built a solid anti-ground force, the tables could have easily turned.

PC Gamer Game Club
    Game of the Week - Amnesia: The Dark Descent
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 09-15-2010, 10:34 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rope View Post
    I think at your skill level all the advice that should be given is in relation to your macro mechanics., so simply put constatnly make scvs and always try to have your money as low as possible.
    You know what messed me up on that game? It was my first beginner league game in a while, and Ive been playing customs with Congo and another chap I met (he likes 2v2s, alot), and after getting slightly used to the "faster" game speed, playing back on "normal" messed up my internal clock. Really messed it up.

Dont get me wrong, not an excuse for the rather pathetic loss, just the main reason I was so slow to build up, the whole bloody thing felt like a crawl tbh, till he hit me with those bloody medivacs of course.

I also think that Battle.net's matchmaking is a bit lopsided too, Ive went from playing people with no clue (a zerg player who built nothing but structures for example), to guys like ZenMaster, who looks like an utter pro with his minerals. I can assume this as sheer luck, but I think its because I was on a 5 win streak it.

Oh yeah, GO ROPE!!!

And YAY! WE HAVE OUR OWN SUB-FORUM!!!
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 09-16-2010, 02:19 AM

Hey guys, I'm pretty happy I got my very first Bronze victory, proving it can be done. It's a PvZ , my opponent was pretty newbie, even worse than me, but I'll post it anyway as a milestone game.

[url=http://www.gamereplays.org/starcraft2/replays.php?game=33&show=download&id=149268][/url]
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 09-16-2010, 07:58 PM

Congrats on the Bronze!
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 09-16-2010, 11:22 PM

As promised in the sticky I've got a few replays to upload.

I've been holding back on doing 1v1 placements since release now but today I finally grew some balls and just went for it. The results were certainly interesting. This was my first time playing 1v1 as Zerg. My previous 1v1's hadn't been league games and had all been as Terran. I'd played some 2v2 with Zerg but 1v1 is a very different kettle of fish. I'll post the games in order so you can view my triumph and my suffering!

Game 1

[url=http://www.gamereplays.org/starcraft2/replays.php?game=33&show=download&id=149498][/url]

Mirror match...great. As it turns out, this was a fairly comfortable win. We're off to a good start!

Game 2

[url=http://www.gamereplays.org/starcraft2/replays.php?game=33&show=download&id=149499][/url]

Ok a Protoss. I was possibly overly expecting some cheese play here, hence the very thorough in base scouting with my drone. As it turns out DT's were on the table. But that's fine. I've got my oversee...oh shit!

Game 3

[url=http://www.gamereplays.org/starcraft2/replays.php?game=33&show=download&id=149500][/url]

A Terran this time. I didn't actually realise the lead I had in this game with regards to worker count, but was playing cautiously due to his continued infantry pushes. I also was loathe to throw my army at his fortified siege tank position until I knew I had a significant advantage. Amusingly I ward off his island expansion with an overlord, even though I would've had no means to kill it at the time (no air units or drop research)! Hero overlord!

Due to the image limit I'll post the other 2 games in the next post!
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 09-16-2010, 11:22 PM

Game 4

[url=http://www.gamereplays.org/starcraft2/replays.php?game=33&show=download&id=149501][/url]

Another ZvZ. After my first game I thought I'd be ok here. I saw he was going for a fairly early (9 supply) pool and so started to prepare accordingly. However, I was so focused on my own build order that I completely missed the spine crawler that he put down RIGHT UNDER MY NOSE! I was completely kicking myself after that particular escapade as I would've been way ahead had I actually been paying attention!

Final Game

[url=http://www.gamereplays.org/starcraft2/replays.php?game=33&show=download&id=149502][/url]

Another Protoss opponent. He pushes my fast expansion with zealots fairly early. I figure I can take it so let the expansion go up without cancelling. It's fairly close though and there's a definite "doh!" moment shortly after I hold off the first push.

Hopefully these should be mildly entertaining. I'll post some more when I get round to playing some more.

I also have some 2v2 league match replays which I played with my brother. Let me know if you'd like to see any of those and I'll try to find some good ones.