Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Off topic

#21   Report Post  
    Old 12-03-2012, 08:16 PM
    Banned

Well, I'll take your word for it...to tell the truth, I don't mind that I dint know that.
      #22   Report Post  
    Old 12-03-2012, 08:16 PM

It may look a bit dumbed down from the trailer, but I think I'll enjoy it.

Looks like it's got more appeal than the original trilogy and I enjoyed that, even though it was drawn out at times.
      #23   Report Post  
    Old 12-03-2012, 09:17 PM

There is a huge amount of back history to both the Hobbit and LOTR and it will therefore be interesting to see what they leave out, rather than what they include. There is more than enough material to cover dozens upon dozens of films, and a good chronology of the events can be found here:

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_Arda#First_Age[/url]

I'm a huge fan of the world that JRRT created, but it is a very detailed fantasy world, covering thousands of years, and I can understand why some people have neither the time or inclination to lose themselves in unravelling it's history.

No film is ever going to recreate the images that I visualise when thinking about the different ages of Middle Earth, but I do enjoy getting a glimpse at some of the things that other people imagine. Now that the technology exists to recreate Middle Earth on film, we will hopefully get to see more and more films over the coming decades, each revealing a new glimpse into someone else's imagination. There will be films of the proud Numenor and Noldor, as they fall under the influence of the supposedly repentant Sauron, as he secretly forges the nine rings. There will be films about his master, (Melkor), as he battles first the Valar and then the Elves. The potential list of major events worthy of a film just goes on and on, and I would happily sit through every single one of them, if they are of a similar quality to the Jackson films. I don't agree with all the choices that Jackson made when casting and filming LOTR, but that didn't stop me from enjoyng the films for what they were. I hope that the Hobbit films are a huge box office hit, because I want to see more of Middle Earth, regadless of whether or not I like Jackson's version.

If there ever was an after life, then I would happily settle for Middle Earth. I have journeyed across its lands so many times, wondering at it's peoples and spectacle, that it's now a part of who I am.

Regards - Mr P
      #24   Report Post  
    Old 12-03-2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Spatula View Post
    length descriptions of, oh look, another hill.
    I like my landscapes and Tolkien does a great job of creating epic images in your mind so I like all the looking at hills

I agree with all the poem stuff but that is rather just because I am not cultured enough to appreciate poems
    “There has seldom if ever been a shortage of eager young males prepared to kill and die to preserve the security, comfort and prejudices of their elders, and what you call heroism is just an expression of this simple fact; there is never a scarcity of idiots.” - Ian Banks
      #25   Report Post  
    Old 12-03-2012, 09:31 PM
    Banned

Goblins, Dwarves, Elves, etc have always been in human folklore. But thanks to JRRT we've now got Orcs. Developers rejoice.

Zug Zug!
      #26   Report Post  
    Old 12-03-2012, 09:51 PM

Did you guys notice how the dwarfs in the film look... plastic-y? Unlike Gimli who really looked like a dwarf...
      #27   Report Post  
    Old 12-03-2012, 10:13 PM

How can you say the LOTR trilogy has aged badly? The acting is great, the special effects still stand up to anything released today, the story is great, etc. The LOTR trilogy is my favourite film / group of films / whatever. Before those it was Goodfellas and I didn't think anything would ever knock that film off my #1 spot.
      #28   Report Post  
    Old 12-03-2012, 10:47 PM
    Banned

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) View Post
    YOu think that's bad, you should try reading The Silmarillion
    Grarrgh it's so boring. Like a history textbook. I dislike Tolkien's religious undertones too because he was a heathen monotheist.
      #29   Report Post  
    Old 12-03-2012, 11:33 PM
    Banned

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dayve View Post
    How can you say the LOTR trilogy has aged badly?
    I don't mean it's age badly persay. I loved it when it came out. However, I don't have the same lasting fondness for it like I do with some of the other iconic films and trilogies of the past..

I did the day long epic directors box set couch trip, I think that was enough for me.
      #30   Report Post  
    Old 12-04-2012, 08:03 AM

I imagine these films will be The Hobbit/Simillarion.

Lots of flashbacks to lore and legends as characters sit around camp fires talking.

The only thing I'm excited about will probably be the last film with the Dragon. Hope its Maaaaaaaaaaahooooooooosive!

Yeah, film companies will just be greedy. I was upset when I learnt Grindhouse was being split into 2 full films. I really wanted to watch it as Tarantino intended, 1 long length movie with all the cheesy adverts inbetween.