Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Off topic

#11   Report Post  
    Old 12-03-2012, 09:49 AM

I don't know if the plot will be addictive if its 3 parts of the movie. But i have to see it anyway :P
      #12   Report Post  
    Old 12-03-2012, 10:01 AM

Really quite looking forward to it actually, love the LotR film adaptations. But yeah splitting it from two to three films mid-way through production seems a bit sketchy.

Has anyone seen these [URL="http://www.youtube.com/user/pjacksonwingnutfilms/videos?view=0"]BTS production video diaries[/URL]? I especially recommend number 6, the logistics of location shooting for that many people look absolutely terrifying!
      #13   Report Post  
    Old 12-03-2012, 12:20 PM
    Banned

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheXand View Post
    By the literary standards set by novels considered great and good it's badly written. The Lord of the Rings was written more like a textbook than anything and left a lot of room for improvement. It was functional but there was very little flair. Don't get me wrong, it's excellent source material it's just his literary technique is a little lacking when it comes to properly involving the reader and drawing him in.
    YOu think that's bad, you should try reading The Silmarillion
      #14   Report Post  
    Old 12-03-2012, 01:37 PM

Its being filmed in 3 parts in order to expand on some of the LOTR backstory as filler.
    In other words there aren't enough tie ins to the original to appease the suits. (ie Olando Bloom and Liv Tyler- esp the latter as part of LOTR was changed to give her a bigger part)
    Om - Thats a funny thing, winners never talk of Glorious Victories. That's because they're the ones who see what the battlefield looks like afterward. It's only the losers who have Glorious Victories.

T Pratchett, Small Gods.
      #15   Report Post  
    Old 12-03-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) View Post
    YOu think that's bad, you should try reading The Silmarillion
    the silmarillion isn't really a novel it's more like a collection of notes made by the author as he was developing the backstory many of which I seem to recall were quite contradictory, I don't remember much about it to be honest it must be 20 years or more since I read it.

it's an interesting peek inside the authors mind and as such has a bit of curiosity value but little else to recommend it.
    -8GB kingston DDR3 1333MHz HyperXBlu Red
    -Corsair 650w psu
    -Win 7

Void Destroyer - Space Sim meets RTS
      #16   Report Post  
    Old 12-03-2012, 03:27 PM

It's the amazing scenery and soundtracks in the LOTR films that made them so great imo, and by the looks of it, The Hobbit offers that again.
    Ocz zt 650w /Samsung 840 250gb
    Western digital 1TB / Dell U2713H 2560x1440
    Filco majestouch 2/ Deathadder
    Onkyo HT-S9405 /
      #17   Report Post  
    Old 12-03-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by alberthammond View Post
    Its being filmed in 3 parts in order to expand on some of the LOTR backstory as filler.
    In other words there aren't enough tie ins to the original to appease the suits. (ie Olando Bloom and Liv Tyler- esp the latter as part of LOTR was changed to give her a bigger part)
    The trouble is that it's not being filmed in three parts. It was conceived, scripted and filmed as two (as far as I'm aware), and it was only after filming was finished that they announced it was now going to be a three-parter. But a film as big as the Hobbit spends long enough in the planning stages for the studio behind it to decide if it wants three films for it's money instead of two, so I feel it must have been a creative decision rather than a grab for more cash. Either way unless they just had two three-and-a-half hour films and decided that three two-and-a-half hour films would be more palatable for the audience, or the script was an inaccurate indicator for the running time, they must be doing some heavy re-scripting and additional shooting else we're in for a couple of additional hours of b-roll of New Zealand.
      #18   Report Post  
    Old 12-03-2012, 04:52 PM
    Banned

If I remember rightly, I'm going back at least 20 years here, Bilbo was a young man meets Gandalf at a party, travels with him to a cave, meets Gollum, gets ring returns home. It's a hero's journey plotline.

man, if they can make 3, 2 1/2 hour movies outa that??

Also, notice that Gollum in the trailers is the same age....He should basically still be in Smeagol form back when bilbo meets him.
      #19   Report Post  
    Old 12-03-2012, 08:04 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Arobein View Post

That's not badly written, just not written to your liking.
    I got to agree with this. Although the counsel of Elrond goes on forever!!

Also as much as I like the original Star Wars trilogy LotR wins hands down for me personally.

Smeogal looks the same age because he is incredibly old and buy the time Bilbo finds him he has fallen heavily under The Ring's influence and has become almost ever living so it makes sense he looks the same.
    “There has seldom if ever been a shortage of eager young males prepared to kill and die to preserve the security, comfort and prejudices of their elders, and what you call heroism is just an expression of this simple fact; there is never a scarcity of idiots.” - Ian Banks

Last edited by Daniel; 12-03-2012 at 08:08 PM.
      #20   Report Post  
    Old 12-03-2012, 08:09 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) View Post
    Also, notice that Gollum in the trailers is the same age....He should basically still be in Smeagol form back when bilbo meets him.
    Nope, he was already 500+ when Bilbo meets him, in LotR he is 550+.