Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Off topic

#11   Report Post  
    Old 12-01-2012, 10:12 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheXand View Post
    Start with the modern series with Christopher Eccleston. They're expressly designed for new fans to the series and Christopher Eccleston was brilliant. I preferred David Tennant but Eccleston was fantastic.

The old ones have aged really, really badly. Doctor Who originally started in in the early 1960's so was entirely in black and white, awful quality and was watched by middle aged veterans of WW2.

The only older episodes I would suggest watching from what I've seen is Genesis of the Daleks. Goes into detail on how they started and introduces Davros for the first time. It's also in colour and features Tom Baker.
    I decided to check Wikipedia and decided to go with the reboot. I will check on the older ones later. It's the story that matters to me, as long as I can understand the story then it's ok. Thanks guys! Appreciate it.
      #12   Report Post  
    Old 12-02-2012, 01:33 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Spatula View Post
    Anything written by Moffat is gold.
    That man has a terrifying imagination.

But yes, Moffat's stuff is the best of the new series. The quality tends to oscillate between really good (Weeping Angels, Silence in the Library) and just boring (Curse of the Black Spot, which was shit.)
      #13   Report Post  
    Old 12-02-2012, 01:54 AM

I think Patrick Troughton gets unfairly overlooked in all "Who was the best Doctor" debates.
    If he had'nt succesfully pulled off the first transition, none of the others would ever have had a bite of the cherry.
    He also introduced the whole " New generation, new personality" meme that became standard.
      #14   Report Post  
    Old 12-02-2012, 03:53 AM

I have a friend that is crazy about doctor who that could tell you, but she won't join pcgamer.
      #15   Report Post  
    Old 12-02-2012, 06:59 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by daviddanut View Post
    That man has a terrifying imagination.

But yes, Moffat's stuff is the best of the new series. The quality tends to oscillate between really good (Weeping Angels, Silence in the Library) and just boring (Curse of the Black Spot, which was shit.)
    Just look at Sherlock. One of the best shows in UK. You Brits have awesome shows (I just assumed you're British, most people here are ).
      #16   Report Post  
    Old 12-02-2012, 07:13 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JackRabbit View Post
    I think Patrick Troughton gets unfairly overlooked in all "Who was the best Doctor" debates.
    If he had'nt succesfully pulled off the first transition, none of the others would ever have had a bite of the cherry.
    He also introduced the whole " New generation, new personality" meme that became standard.
    Pat got an honourable mention from me, the main problem with his era is that very few episodes survive and there are only a handful of complete stories available.

I really like his Doctor he was the first to introduce an element of eccentricity to the character and he had some great little catch phrases, oh my giddy aunt.
    -8GB kingston DDR3 1333MHz HyperXBlu Red
    -Corsair 650w psu
    -Win 7

Void Destroyer - Space Sim meets RTS
      #17   Report Post  
    Old 12-02-2012, 02:06 PM

I'll watch (and enjoy) the newer Doctor Who episodes on occasion, never seen the older stuff. I find that I really like the idea of the Doctor Who character, but sometimes the execution of the episodes can seem a bit underwhelming. IMO the best episodes are the ones that have their focus on a small area, like the recent-ish Western one, where the effects are self contained to a small group of people, and you can see the Doctor facing a personal moral quandary, rather than the epic potential end-of-the-world/universe ones. They never manage to be quite as epic as they should be. I also don't like the fact that the world and everyone on it has now been involved in so many Armageddon/general alien encounter situations, that the concept of the Doctor or any other extra-terrestrial stuff is no longer particularly notable to them. Where's the fun in that?
      #18   Report Post  
    Old 12-02-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Burglar View Post
    I'll watch (and enjoy) the newer Doctor Who episodes on occasion, never seen the older stuff. I find that I really like the idea of the Doctor Who character, but sometimes the execution of the episodes can seem a bit underwhelming. IMO the best episodes are the ones that have their focus on a small area, like the recent-ish Western one, where the effects are self contained to a small group of people, and you can see the Doctor facing a personal moral quandary, rather than the epic potential end-of-the-world/universe ones. They never manage to be quite as epic as they should be. I also don't like the fact that the world and everyone on it has now been involved in so many Armageddon/general alien encounter situations, that the concept of the Doctor or any other extra-terrestrial stuff is no longer particularly notable to them. Where's the fun in that?
    this is mainly why I prefer the older stuff, it's not so melodramatic and alot of the stories take place on alien planets rather than being so earthcentric all the time.
    -Corsair 650w psu
    -Win 7

#19   Report Post  
    Old 12-02-2012, 03:08 PM
    Banned

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
    this is mainly why I prefer the older stuff, it's not so melodramatic and alot of the stories take place on alien planets rather than being so earthcentric all the time.
    You mean it's more boring and has more sets made of unconvincing cardboard.

The best doctors from what I've seen are Christopher Eccleston and David Tennant. Tom Baker is usually hailed as the best of the old Doctors yet I didn't think him that great. From what I've seen of the other ones they're even worse, just a string of dull old men acting like child groomers.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtmiMIIberg[/url]

Last edited by TheXand; 12-02-2012 at 03:12 PM.
      #20   Report Post  
    Old 12-02-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheXand View Post
    You mean it's more boring and has more sets made of unconvincing cardboard.

The best doctors from what I've seen are Christopher Eccleston and David Tennant. Tom Baker is usually hailed as the best of the old Doctors yet I didn't think him that great. From what I've seen of the other ones they're even worse, just a string of dull old men acting like child groomers.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtmiMIIberg[/url]
    I liked the stories in the old series, the new stuff is all character based the stories are just an aside, and I've got a nice pair of rose tinted specs which make all the crappy special effects go away.

if it was as crap as you'd like to think it was it wouldn't have lasted as long as it did and then get resurrected again, lets face it there would be no new stuff unless there had been the old stuff, now show some respect .
    -Corsair 650w psu
    -Win 7