Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Off topic

#1   Report Post  
    Old 12-01-2012, 08:41 AM

Default Doctor Who

I wanna watch Doctor Who, but I have no idea where to start. There are just so many series and I'm confused. Any fans there? Help me out?
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 12-01-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by consigliere94 View Post
    I wanna watch Doctor Who, but I have no idea where to start. There are just so many series and I'm confused. Any fans there? Help me out?
    I used to love Dr Who as a kid but I think the new stuff is a right load of old toss, if you want my opinion start with the first 2 or 3 seasons of the Tom Baker era, this to me was the golden age but don't expect lavish production values.

If you're a style over substance type person check out the newer stuff from Christopher Ecclestone's incarnation onwards.

the rest of is more of a curiostity than anything else ranging from the archaic to the dire, some of the Patrick Troughton stuff is worth a chuckle though.
    -8GB kingston DDR3 1333MHz HyperXBlu Red
    -Corsair 650w psu
    -Win 7

Void Destroyer - Space Sim meets RTS
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 12-01-2012, 11:44 AM

I used to watch it a bit but I have never been a massive fan of it. I'm not sure why. I think it is that it was never quite dark enough. Some of it is quite creepy but then it kind of manages to be childish as well. It's ok but not great. That's my opinion somewhat poorly explained.
    “There has seldom if ever been a shortage of eager young males prepared to kill and die to preserve the security, comfort and prejudices of their elders, and what you call heroism is just an expression of this simple fact; there is never a scarcity of idiots.” - Ian Banks
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 12-01-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
    I used to love Dr Who as a kid but I think the new stuff is a right load of old toss, if you want my opinion start with the first 2 or 3 seasons of the Tom Baker era, this to me was the golden age but don't expect lavish production values.

If you're a style over substance type person check out the newer stuff from Christopher Ecclestone's incarnation onwards.

the rest of is more of a curiostity than anything else ranging from the archaic to the dire, some of the Patrick Troughton stuff is worth a chuckle though.
    I guess I will start with Tom Baker then. If in case I start with the newer ones, will be lost with the story? I hope not.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    I used to watch it a bit but I have never been a massive fan of it. I'm not sure why. I think it is that it was never quite dark enough. Some of it is quite creepy but then it kind of manages to be childish as well. It's ok but not great. That's my opinion somewhat poorly explained.
    We'll see when I start watching. It's got a lot of following and I'm really curious what's all the fuss about.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 12-01-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
    I guess I will start with Tom Baker then. If in case I start with the newer ones, will be lost with the story? I hope not.
    No, you can jump in anywhere, the old ones were short (3 episode?) story arcs and the new ones are mostly stand alone episodes with minimal arcing story.
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 12-01-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:

the newer ones are more of a reboot than anything, so you won't miss much by jumping straight to them.
    -Corsair 650w psu
    -Win 7

#7   Report Post  
    Old 12-01-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jon_hill987 View Post
    No, you can jump in anywhere, the old ones were short (3 episode?) story arcs and the new ones are mostly stand alone episodes with minimal arcing story.
    4 to 6 episodes generally although some were as long as 10 or 12 episodes and some as short as 2.
    -Corsair 650w psu
    -Win 7

#8   Report Post  
    Old 12-01-2012, 03:18 PM

What? Ignore the old crap.

Start with David tennant then move forward. Tenants brilliant as to is the new chap.

Anything written by Moffat is gold.

-------
    An irreverent look at gaming, and film; www.TheFunTurret.com
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 12-01-2012, 04:27 PM
    Banned

Start with the modern series with Christopher Eccleston. They're expressly designed for new fans to the series and Christopher Eccleston was brilliant. I preferred David Tennant but Eccleston was fantastic.

The old ones have aged really, really badly. Doctor Who originally started in in the early 1960's so was entirely in black and white, awful quality and was watched by middle aged veterans of WW2.

The only older episodes I would suggest watching from what I've seen is Genesis of the Daleks. Goes into detail on how they started and introduces Davros for the first time. It's also in colour and features Tom Baker.
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 12-01-2012, 09:22 PM

The old ones are absolutely excruciating to sit through. The acting is awful, the budget is so low that most things are made from cardboard wrapped in tin foil - I even saw one where a gun was just a toilet roll tube wrapped in foil with a red lightbulb on the end of it.

Also the new ones are crap. I'd recommend another series entirely.