Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Off topic

#1   Report Post  
    Old 11-30-2012, 08:37 PM

Default SAS man freed after gun import

So an SAS man has today been set free though not cleared of having a gun (a nice one too) that he was given in Iraq. some thoughts from both sides of the fence below.

the guys a hero = free him now!!!

he had a brain injury - free him he's a hero who served his country!

Awww his children will miss him at chrimbo.

SAS sniper (killer/murderer depending whether you are english/iraqi)+brain injury+gun=

Seriously though some rules have been severely broken here and the full facts are not yet known so.....

How much did he know? how long had he had it at home before the cops found it?
    if his friends sent it home without his knowledge why are THEY not on trial?

Ultimately all involved know this is illegal and ultimately have no defence,

HOWEVER. Having worked for the services for many years I am aware that if they want someone to be innocent it will be so and vice versa for guilty.

Personally Im 50/50 on this case but there does seem to be an over-riding public current that our service people can do no wrong because hey - heroes!

Thoughts? Facts would be even nicer.
    Om - Thats a funny thing, winners never talk of Glorious Victories. That's because they're the ones who see what the battlefield looks like afterward. It's only the losers who have Glorious Victories.

T Pratchett, Small Gods.
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 11-30-2012, 08:41 PM
    Banned

About bloody time he got let off. The man was a war hero, and so what if he had a trophy of his time in the forces. It's certainly not the first time that soldiers have brought back trophies. Japanese katanas and German Lugers were prized trophies of Allied soldiers in WW2 and good on them.
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 11-30-2012, 08:53 PM

I can't believe they ever charged him what with the mitigating circumstances. There are more important things the law enforcement agencies in this country could be doing. I mean fine confiscate the weapon, but did they really need to do anything more?
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 11-30-2012, 09:09 PM

He should still be in prison. Whilst I can understand him being given a gun as a memento, my step dad was once put into a fairly difficult position when given a kukri (Rather large knife) at an airport, few media outlets are reporting on the 300 rounds of live ammunition that were also found with the gun, because, you know he's a hero. He served in Afghanistan defending our freedoms so he must be.
    Hopefully a very close eye will be kept on him so he doesn't try a Raol Moat.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 11-30-2012, 09:11 PM

Quote:
    I can't believe they ever charged him what with the mitigating circumstances.
    Which the court heard and rejected - even the appeal court. I doubt we have the full facts on this

Quote:
    The man was a war hero
    +1 lemming. -1 law

Quote:
    Japanese katanas and German Lugers were prized trophies of Allied soldiers in WW2 and good on them.
    So were ears - they made nice pouches for the Ghurka's - heroes one and all!

Any facts on the case?
    Om - Thats a funny thing, winners never talk of Glorious Victories. That's because they're the ones who see what the battlefield looks like afterward. It's only the losers who have Glorious Victories.

T Pratchett, Small Gods.
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 11-30-2012, 09:19 PM

They tell us it was all because of a handgun. But was it really?
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 11-30-2012, 09:41 PM
    Grand Inquisitor

Send a message via Skype™ to SAeN

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jon_hill987 View Post
    I can't believe they ever charged him what with the mitigating circumstances. There are more important things the law enforcement agencies in this country could be doing. I mean fine confiscate the weapon, but did they really need to do anything more?
    You forget that this is the country that imprisons you for a socially unacceptable tweet.
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 11-30-2012, 10:05 PM

Ok, just watched two news reports both of which go with the hero line and no facts.

On his side - yes he is one of the many people fucked over a barrell by the MOD ( btw if you ever see Breaker Morant on TV - Watch it!)

Agaianst him - he has the gun hes guilty

T Pratchett, Small Gods.
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 11-30-2012, 10:11 PM
    Banned

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JackRabbit View Post
    He should still be in prison. Whilst I can understand him being given a gun as a memento, my step dad was once put into a fairly difficult position when given a kukri (Rather large knife) at an airport, few media outlets are reporting on the 300 rounds of live ammunition that were also found with the gun, because, you know he's a hero. He served in Afghanistan defending our freedoms so he must be.
    Hopefully a very close eye will be kept on him so he doesn't try a Raol Moat.
    If anyone could be trusted with firearms it's ex-SAS. You do realise just quite how stringent the psychological testing is on even regular military applicants before they're even let near a gun? Special forces would be even stricter given the sneaky beaky ops they embark.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alberthammond View Post
    So were ears - they made nice pouches for the Ghurka's - heroes one and all!
    Because British soldiers are in the habit of acquiring such grisly trophies.

So what if the Ghurka's did? The Japanese did rather a lot more than taking the ears off fallen soldiers.

And yes, they are heroes actually.
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 11-30-2012, 10:20 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheXand View Post
    If anyone could be trusted with firearms it's ex-SAS. You do realise just quite how stringent the psychological testing is on even regular military applicants before they're even let near a gun? Special forces would be even stricter given the sneaky beaky ops they embark.

Because British soldiers are in the habit of acquiring such grisly trophies.

So what if the Ghurka's did? The Japanese did rather a lot more than taking the ears off fallen soldiers.

And yes, they are heroes actually.
    Possibly one the funniest statements I have ever read.