Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Off topic

#11   Report Post  
    Old 11-29-2012, 11:07 AM

No numbering in this one. I decided it would be better without ranking.

Mass Effect 3 - gamepay-wise, it's a great game. Story-wise, it's great but the.. you know. It's decent enough with the DLC.
    Borderlands 2 - I gotta give it to this game: it's fun, well-written, funny as hell... and there's so much time you can spend in it. Lots of people say it's boring, but it's not for me.
    The Walking Dead - this game blew me away. Totally. Some might argue that it's not really a game, but the narrative is fantastic. Terrific writing and emotional impact, those are this game's strong points. Manly tears will definitely be shed with this game. Also Clementine is probably the cutest little girl in any video game. No pedo. I'm 17. :P
    Torchlight II - this is the REAL Diablo III when it comes to gameplay. A spiritual successor to Diablo II, brutally fun with friends (especially with PVP) and lots of replay time.
    FTL - brutally hard, but really awesome. Just making it to the far end of the map is already an achievement for me.

Honorable mention would be Dishonored. It's a great game, IMO, but like everyone, I found the game really easy with magic and it's too short, though it's a game you have to play many times. Nevertheless, the story's well-written, though the lore surrounding the game isn't really interesting and the ending is rewarding.
      #12   Report Post  
    Old 11-29-2012, 09:27 PM

This is my top 5 in no particular order.

The Witcher 2:

I know it didn't come out this year but I am currently playing it now. Good to be playing a good long deep rpg again. Love the dark fantasy world with all its moral shades of greyness. Also like how your decisions affect the game. Plus it has some really nice visuals.

DayZ:

This is my kind of game, a proper zombie survival game. It might suffer from bugs but it is just so good.

Endless Space:
    A solid 4X space strategy game with a user friendly interface

FTL:
    Because it is fun running for your life through space with you ship on the brink of destruction.

Dishonered or Deus Ex: HR
    Can't really decide between these two. They both have there positives and negative points.

There a re a few games which I would of liked to have played but never got round to. Crusader Kings 2 and X com for example.
    “There has seldom if ever been a shortage of eager young males prepared to kill and die to preserve the security, comfort and prejudices of their elders, and what you call heroism is just an expression of this simple fact; there is never a scarcity of idiots.” - Ian Banks
      #13   Report Post  
    Old 12-01-2012, 08:06 PM

Haven't had many new games this year as I only have access to a decent gaming PC for about 4 months and am relegated to consoles while ate Uni. (Just Cause 2 without mods - THE HORROR)

But anyway, in no particular order:

Mass Effect 3 - is probably going to be one of my favourite games of all time. I thought the ending was fine with the extended cut, not a patch on the rest of the story but still perfectly good. Some of the tiny bits of storytelling were done perfectly, the stand out story moment for me was just an overheard bit of dialogue in a refugee camp in the citadel after the Cerberus attack.

I'm stuck now, as I've only bought 3 games that came out this year, (ME3, XCOM and FTL) and while XCOM and FTL were good, I don't think they're anywhere near Game of the Year quality.

I slowed down buying new games when I realised I have about 40 unplayed games in my Steam Library. There's Deus Ex: The Missing Link, Skyrim, Dead Island, New Vegas, Space Marine, Arkham Asylum and more just sitting on my steam list.
      #14   Report Post  
    Old 12-01-2012, 10:29 PM

I've been disappointed with pretty much every game that's come out in the last couple of years. So much so that I can't even name a single game in the last 2 years that was good enough to include on a top-5 list. Not one game. They're all just so crap. I've had to keep going back to old games like Morrowind , Neverwinter Nights 2, Rome Total War (with EB mod) and some others.
      #15   Report Post  
    Old 12-02-2012, 12:33 AM
    Banned

I dunno, I've played so few,

I've certainly enjoyed FTL and Torchlight2 tho.
      #16   Report Post  
    Old 12-03-2012, 12:37 AM

Nothing really blew my mind this year, but I did enjoy:

GW2
    Torchlight
    Dishonoured
    X-Com

Bit of a mixed year really, as there were some notable flops that I didn't buy, as despite my interest in them, the end result just wasn't good enough:

Max Payne
    Far Cry
    Hit Man

plus a couple of flops that I did buy but didn't enjoy:

Diablo 3
    Risen 2

=========

These days I expect 4 fun games a year, and that's exactly what 2012 delivered, so for me at least, it was neither a good or a bad gaming year, and as usual, I spent far more time playing old games, than I did new ones.

Generally speaking it felt as if developers were treading water this year, and waiting for the next gen consoles to be released. I will probably remember 2012 not for any specific game, but as the year that Kickstarter and a plethora of indie activity offered up so much promise to us PC gamers, so it will be interesting to see what games get delivered further down the line.

I'm so tired of cross platform games being limited by console technology, because I know what my PC is capable of, but I so rarely get to see it and play it. I remember tweaking Mount and Blade's settings last year, and playing through some battles with thousands of NPC all happily bashing the crap out of each other, and then I get confronted with the empty streets of Deus Ex HR or Dishonoured and I sigh. Small levels, invisible barriers, dumb AI, etc, all because the beep beep consoles can't process anything more. It could all be so very different, given the processing and graphic power that we are sitting on, and there is a huge pent up demand within the PC gaming community for some adult games that will challenge both us and our machines. We aren't going to get them from most of the AAA developers, as they are firmly joined at the hip with the console market but this kickstarter thing plus the eruption of indie developers could be the backlash that I have been waiting for. Only time will tell, but I have my fingers and toes crossed.

I therefore end the year feeling far more optimistic about the future, because the type of PC games that I enjoy and want to play, are now firmly on the drawing board. The drawing board stage for PC games hasn't been this active since the late 90's, and if you look back at that period, some amazing games popped out of the sausage machine a year or two later.

Regards - Mr P
      #17   Report Post  
    Old 12-03-2012, 12:59 AM

Crusader Kings 2 - Same reasons as everyone else. Played the living bollocks out of it, socio-political soap opera simulator, fuck yeah.

X-Com - This was nearly my GotY by a far margin, but after long playthroughs a lot of problems with it have become clear, and barely played it last couple of months. Still excellent though.

ME3 - Pretty good, as you say excellent up until the subpar ending. But as I think I'm struggling to remember a lot of this game, which isn't a great sign.

Darksiders 2 - A less coherent and focused story than the original, but better in every other way. Characters are excellent, as are the enviroments and soundtrack. I also finished it, which is always a good sign nowadays. Pretty mediocre port, but hey.

Transformers: Fall of Cybertron - You read it right. This is the fucking arkham asylum of licensed transformers games. The voice acting, characters, animation, storyline, campaign pacing, game feel and general explosions are superb. Just watching someone play this is about 10x better than watching any of the Michael Bay movies.

FTL was good, Dishonoured was disappointing in all honesty. Felt like a sub-par Thief with teleporting. (I do not think this is a good thing).
      #18   Report Post  
    Old 12-03-2012, 09:56 AM

For me - it's Far Cry 3. After i've bought it, i'm playing all the time.
      #19   Report Post  
    Old 12-05-2012, 07:08 PM

Sleeping Dogs -
    Amazing game, glad it got picked up after the original company scrapped it. It could have been more expansive and had more side quests (100% completed it in about 4 days)

Skyrim -
    I doubt anyone needs explanation here

The Walking Dead -
    Best story in a game of this year, and nice original gameplay

Gotham City Imposters -
    The only FPS I don't get angry at quickly. Nice and crazy

DayZ -
    Great game, even with all the bugs, but is in development still of course.