Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Off topic

#1   Report Post  
    Old 11-28-2012, 06:32 PM

Default The Official (unofficial) game of the year thread.

Yeh, beating whoever would have posted this by approximately two days. Name your top five of the year (Notable mentions also accepted)

5:- Mass Effect 3.
    Yes. Mass Effect 3. The ending was shit, but right up until 5 minutes before the end it was utterly awesome. That this came out in March, and so will suffer from the failure of memory is another factor. No-one ever considers games that came out at the beginning of the year.

4:- Crusader Kings II.
    Ok, I havn't touched it in 4 months, but I spent a week where I barely slept due to having to see what was going to happen to my dynasty. Does what only 80`s TV soap operas have ever managed.

3:- The Walking Dead.
    On its story, it would get first place. Its utterly fucking awesome. If you don't like this, it is not because the game is wrong, it's because you are wrong. But on a more objective level, there is not much actual game, and the "choices" really have no effect. But the story told is fantastic.

2: Skyrim. OK, Yes, this came out in 2011. But I didn't get it until after we did the "best games of 2011" so I am counting it. GOT A PROBLEM WITH THAT????? Taking the best of the Elder Scrolls series and, whilst giving it a bit of a shit main story, but fantastic backups it is one of the few franchises that still improves with each release (so long as you ignore the DLC).

1: X-com.
    Not without its flaws (poor pathfinding I'm looking at you) whilst it is a dumbed down version of the original, it shows how you can dumb down a game, whilst increasing its challenge and playability. Game of the year for me.

Quite frankly, I think this year has been a blinding year for gaming, and have not had so much enjoyment from my hobby since about 1998. Certainly the first year in a long time that I have had trouble picking out a top five. Honourable mentions to DishonoUred, Endless Space and FTL.
    So, the ball has rolled, what are yours?
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 11-28-2012, 07:02 PM

I haven't played a lot of games from this year (working on backlog) but I would have to say I enjoyed:

Mass Effect 3
    Kingdoms of Amalur
    Skyrim
    FIFA 13 (Yes, a sports game. I'm not even a soccer fan and I've played it more than the three above combined.)

Didn't get a change to play X-Com or Dishonered :/.

| AsRock Extreme3 Gen3 | Intel Core i5 2500K (Stock Cooler) | 8GB G.Skill DDR3 | Sapphire HD 7970 | 1TB WD Caviar Green | 5 TB WD External | Corsair 750HX PSU | Asus Xonar DS | NZXT Phantom | Tt Ultimate Challenger Keyboard | Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | Windows 8.1 Professional 64bit | Logitech z623 Sound System |

Steam
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 11-28-2012, 07:04 PM
    Banned

Crusader Kings 2 is bastard hard and so stat heavy. In my first ever game I opted to play as the King of Scotland thinking that the king of such an out of the way kingdom would have it easy and be a nice way to get to grips with the game mechanics. Within a month my kingdom was torn apart in a threeway civil war which I promptly lost when I ran out of gold and a mercenary army of mine joined the other side.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 11-28-2012, 08:19 PM

I've olny bought 2 new releases this year, Mass Effect 3 and Carrier Command and I'm still waiting for them to fix the latter before I invest much of my time in it.

ME3 was a solid enough sequel but hardly GOTY material.

I'd have to say that this year there has been no game of the year.... at least from my perspective anyway, although I think Borderlands 2 could have taken it but I don't do steam games.
    -8GB kingston DDR3 1333MHz HyperXBlu Red
    -Corsair 650w psu
    -Win 7

Void Destroyer - Space Sim meets RTS
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 11-28-2012, 08:22 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheXand View Post
    Crusader Kings 2 is bastard hard and so stat heavy. In my first ever game I opted to play as the King of Scotland thinking that the king of such an out of the way kingdom would have it easy and be a nice way to get to grips with the game mechanics. Within a month my kingdom was torn apart in a threeway civil war which I promptly lost when I ran out of gold and a mercenary army of mine joined the other side.
    It's much easier to start off smaller as a Duchy. Pay no attention to the bar that says how difficult it will be.

If you start as a Duchy you can control how well people like you and expand at a balanced pace making sure you never expand with lieges already disliking you and stuff.

| AsRock Extreme3 Gen3 | Intel Core i5 2500K (Stock Cooler) | 8GB G.Skill DDR3 | Sapphire HD 7970 | 1TB WD Caviar Green | 5 TB WD External | Corsair 750HX PSU | Asus Xonar DS | NZXT Phantom | Tt Ultimate Challenger Keyboard | Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | Windows 8.1 Professional 64bit | Logitech z623 Sound System |

Steam
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 11-28-2012, 08:44 PM
    Banned

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PioneerRaptor View Post
    It's much easier to start off smaller as a Duchy. Pay no attention to the bar that says how difficult it will be.

If you start as a Duchy you can control how well people like you and expand at a balanced pace making sure you never expand with lieges already disliking you and stuff.
    Might have to do that at some point then. There's so much to get my head around though, it's a little offputting.

In regards to this list, I'm getting too old to remember what years games came out. It still feels like yesterday that Skyrim came out.
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 11-28-2012, 09:13 PM

Yeh, Skyrim came out towards the end of 2011. I hadn't played enough of it to count it last year, hence it's inclusion, for me, in this years count. New Vegas Came out in 2010, but I counted it in 2011 for the same reason.
    I dare say that anything new I play between now and the end of the year (though there is nothing that sticks out on the immediate horizon) would be counted next year.
    As for Crusader Kings II, there is a lot to get your head around, and akin to most of Paradox grand strategy, not easy to get into. I would suggest taking a province of Ireland as an introduction (small province, out of the way, not going to get bothered much) whilst you work out the mechanics.
    I made some fundamental mistakes in my gems (idiotic matrilineal mariages, etc) but still have 'united' Ireland, Britany and Wales under my banner!
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 11-28-2012, 09:13 PM

well here goes:

5- mass effect 3- hell of a journey; shame it ended in milton keynes.

4- FTL- incredibly rich and difficult (which is good) game, let down only by poor replayability (in part due to very slow ship unlocks).

3- the walking dead- only 1 ep in and i can already tell it's going to be something special. though i reserve the right to change this and substitute a carrot if it pulls an ME3

2- X-com - ironman, classic, epic. Made me care about my co-workers again. a herculean feat. at least in the game.

1- Firefall. i'm cheating here a bit, but i've been in the beta for a while now and golly it's fun. it has jetpacks people, jetpacks.

-------
    An irreverent look at gaming, and film; www.TheFunTurret.com
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 11-28-2012, 10:56 PM
    Banned

1. Guild Wars 2
    A genuine and refreshing improvement to the MMO industry that I'm never going to have to pay a subscription for.

2. Riders of Rohan expansion for LotRO
    Added so much to an already brilliant game.

3. Chivalry: Medieval Warfare
    The goto game for my fix of Medieval combat these days. So visceral and fun. Nothing quite like a round of cheers before engaging in bloody combat.

4. Torchlight 2
    Did everything that Diablo 3 should have done, up to and including a scaleable zoom and not real money auction house.

5. Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013
    Because I love the card combat and themed decks and I'm too lazy to care about full deck customisation.

Last edited by TheXand; 11-28-2012 at 10:59 PM.
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 11-29-2012, 11:03 AM

To be honest I haven't played a great deal of games released this year (not for lack of games, entirely my own fault), so don't have a huge range to choose from. But I have really enjoyed:

Day Z
    Really immersive, and is probably responsible for the most heart-in-mouth moments I've ever experienced in a game. (Incidentally I would say OpFlash holds second place in that regard). Love stalking through the countryside. Rewards real-world intelligence (star navigation etc).

Dishonored
    Great fun, great world/universe. It's philosophy and level design recalls a golden (and more intelligent) age in gaming. It's got lots going for it but I suppose my favourite thing about it is just navigating the believable areas of it's world and using guile to outwit foes.

XCOM
    Hard as nails, but oh so rewarding.

Skyrim
    Seeing as everyone else is counting it! Played for over 100 hours and still not completed a single guild quest line or the main story. Has a fantastic world that you can completely lose yourself in.

FTL
    Having played for 32 hours, I can't really not include it. Though I suspect some of that has to do with it being able to run on my work (boo hiss) MacBook Pro. I kind of never want to touch it again though.

Honourable mentions:

30 Flights of Loving