Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Off topic

#51   Report Post  
    Old 11-28-2012, 08:52 PM
    Banned

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
    who knows what they would be using, but whatever it is seti hasn't found it.

whatever technology they may or may not be using I think that it's highly unlikely to resemble ours.

I think the universe is in all probability full of all sorts of life but unless we find a way to travel beyond our own star system we'll never know about it (unless of course we find it closer to home) and to be honest I think the chances of humans ever developing interstellar flight are situated somewhere between slim and nil, I think there's a far greater possibility of us annihilating eachother before we ever find out.
    That's a very pessimistic outlook. I think we're a bit beyond the whole total annihilation phase. And for what it's worth, even if all the nukes on Earth went off humanity would still survive through sheer force of numbers. It's awfully hard to kill over 6 billion of us, and throw in hardened nuclear bunkers and you'd still be left with a great deal of people. Granted most would end up as mutants, but who's to say that wouldn't be beneficial in the long run? With all the mutation going on we'd be bound to end up with advanced stages of evolution.
      #52   Report Post  
    Old 11-29-2012, 12:40 PM

If the human race does become extinct I think it far more likely to be something out of our control rather than us wiping ourselves out.

Something like a giant meteorite or the Sun engulfing Earth as it expands into a Red Giant star. So for our very very long term survival we need to at least be able to get off of Earth and terraform another planet in the solar system.
    “There has seldom if ever been a shortage of eager young males prepared to kill and die to preserve the security, comfort and prejudices of their elders, and what you call heroism is just an expression of this simple fact; there is never a scarcity of idiots.” - Ian Banks
      #53   Report Post  
    Old 11-29-2012, 04:17 PM
    Banned

I'm not even sure a meteorite would be able to kill all of us off. It might have wiped out the dinosaurs, but they didn't have nuclear bunkers.

You're right about needing to get off of our planet though. It seems like a must to propagate our species and ensure survival and productivity in the long run.
      #54   Report Post  
    Old 11-29-2012, 04:52 PM

see the meteorite killed the dinos because they are reptiles and cold blooded, once the sun is gone and temps are low reptiles just can't even digest food so they will die also reptiles tend to have really delicate respitary systems, a small number of reptiles still managed through but mamals were much more equiped to lijve in the colder environment due to being warm blooded and having fur and such to hold heat in.

so in theory just by chance mamals can survive. but the main problem of a meteor is it could kick up enough dust to block out the sun, plants will strugle tempritures will drop possibly even leading to an ice age, so assuming you don't live at the point of impact (or coast around the impact if it lands in the sea) you have just as much chance of surviving it as we do an ice age. this is why I said in the global warming thread if anything we should be working on ways to survive an ice age rather than trying to stop something out of our control.
      #55   Report Post  
    Old 11-29-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Belimawr View Post
    see the meteorite killed the dinos because they are reptiles and cold blooded, once the sun is gone and temps are low reptiles just can't even digest food so they will die also reptiles tend to have really delicate respitary systems, a small number of reptiles still managed through but mamals were much more equiped to lijve in the colder environment due to being warm blooded and having fur and such to hold heat in.

so in theory just by chance mamals can survive. but the main problem of a meteor is it could kick up enough dust to block out the sun, plants will strugle tempritures will drop possibly even leading to an ice age, so assuming you don't live at the point of impact (or coast around the impact if it lands in the sea) you have just as much chance of surviving it as we do an ice age. this is why I said in the global warming thread if anything we should be working on ways to survive an ice age rather than trying to stop something out of our control.
    Dinosaurs are not reptiles. They are dinosaurs

I wouldn't rule out a meteorite killing us off. I mean the time complex life has been on Earth is so small in the grand scheme of things. One theory as to how the moon got there is that a giant clump of rock hit Earth and the Moon broke off. Just think how much force must have been in that.
    “There has seldom if ever been a shortage of eager young males prepared to kill and die to preserve the security, comfort and prejudices of their elders, and what you call heroism is just an expression of this simple fact; there is never a scarcity of idiots.” - Ian Banks
      #56   Report Post  
    Old 11-29-2012, 07:23 PM
    Grand Inquisitor

Send a message via Skype™ to SAeN

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    Dinosaurs are not reptiles. They are dinosaurs
    As Archosaurs, they are from the reptilian lineage.
      #57   Report Post  
    Old 11-29-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheXand View Post
    That's a very pessimistic outlook. I think we're a bit beyond the whole total annihilation phase. And for what it's worth, even if all the nukes on Earth went off humanity would still survive through sheer force of numbers. It's awfully hard to kill over 6 billion of us, and throw in hardened nuclear bunkers and you'd still be left with a great deal of people. Granted most would end up as mutants, but who's to say that wouldn't be beneficial in the long run? With all the mutation going on we'd be bound to end up with advanced stages of evolution.
    who said anything about nukes?

you've already hinted at the biggest danger we fact - there's 6 billion of us and counting, a totally unsustainable population, when it all comes crashing down it's going to be far more messy than any nuclear war, think massive famines and rampant disease. And before you tell me that GM will save us I think that creating green deserts is only likely to hasten our demise.

also since we sidestepped natural selection we have slowly been degrading at a genetic level so when the shit hits the fan we won't be fit enough to deal with it, whereas the rest of the natural world which has suffered under human domination for centuries is likely to bounce back with a vengence possibly creating a perfect storm that will seal our fate.

bye bye humainty and not one bomb needs to fall.

and that's not the only scenario, our soceties are really fragile and the more of us there are the more pressure they are under, all it would take is for the lights to go out for an extended period of time and we'd be at eachothers throats fighting like rats in a sack.
    -8GB kingston DDR3 1333MHz HyperXBlu Red
    -Corsair 650w psu
    -Win 7

Void Destroyer - Space Sim meets RTS
      #58   Report Post  
    Old 11-29-2012, 07:45 PM

Quote:
    absolutely totally wrong.

the dinosaurs died out not because they were cold blooded, they were infact warm blooded like birds with a very high metabolic rate meaning they had to consume lots of food to keep going. When the meteor came it burnt off most of the plants and those that weren't burned soon died during the nuclear winter that followed, it was maybe a year or several years before conditions were right for them to grow back, so all the herbivores perished and the carnivores soon followed when there was nothing left to scavenge.

the reason the dinosaurs died out was because they were big and warm blooded, presumably their relatives the birds survived because they were much smaller and more mobile thus able to get to the very small amount of food that was still available.

strangely enough large reptiles such as crocs fared much better because cold blooded creatures can survive for months on end on just one large meal.

... so there.
    -Corsair 650w psu
    -Win 7

Last edited by Lizard; 11-29-2012 at 07:48 PM.
      #59   Report Post  
    Old 11-29-2012, 08:37 PM
    Banned

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
    who said anything about nukes?

you've already hinted at the biggest danger we fact - there's 6 billion of us and counting, a totally unsustainable population, when it all comes crashing down it's going to be far more messy than any nuclear war, think massive famines and rampant disease. And before you tell me that GM will save us I think that creating green deserts is only likely to hasten our demise.

also since we sidestepped natural selection we have slowly been degrading at a genetic level so when the shit hits the fan we won't be fit enough to deal with it, whereas the rest of the natural world which has suffered under human domination for centuries is likely to bounce back with a vengence possibly creating a perfect storm that will seal our fate.

bye bye humainty and not one bomb needs to fall.

and that's not the only scenario, our soceties are really fragile and the more of us there are the more pressure they are under, all it would take is for the lights to go out for an extended period of time and we'd be at eachothers throats fighting like rats in a sack.
    I didn't say we'd all survive it, but we don't need that big a percentage of the current population to restart humanity. Obviously there would be massive social upheaval and presumably a new dark age and migration period but humans are uniquely suited to surviving catastrophe through our adaptability and numbers.

Your point about natural selection is moot as well since humans are biologically unchanged since the last ice age and so are still uniquely suited to surviving it. With the right incentive and imperative you'd be surprised what humans would survive, and the end of the world is nothing new.

For example the Toba Catastrophe reduced humanity to a paltry amount yet we survived that.

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toba_catastrophe_theory[/url]
    Quote:
    this is why I said in the global warming thread if anything we should be working on ways to survive an ice age rather than trying to stop something out of our control.
    I'm inclined to agree. I'd rather a slight rise in temperature rather than a new Ice Age. If anything we should be hastening global warming especially since we're about due for a new one.

Last edited by TheXand; 11-29-2012 at 08:40 PM.
      #60   Report Post  
    Old 11-29-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheXand View Post

Your point about natural selection is moot as well since humans are biologically unchanged since the last ice age and so are still uniquely suited to surviving it. With the right incentive and imperative you'd be surprised what humans would survive, and the end of the world is nothing new.
    really ?

just take a look down any highstreet and see all the fat bloaters waddling into McDonalds, you really think they stand a chance in a survival situation ?

modern humans are weak in comparisson to our ancestors even a few hundred years back. I've heard it mentioned by historians a few times that the average medieval peasant was fitter and stronger than most modern athletes.

not only that but most modern humans have lost the skills they need to survive, could you forge your own metal and make your own tools or hunt for food? could you farm ? do you know which fungi are safe to eat ? we rely too much on technology it's an incredible weakness.

infact we have never been more vulnerable.
    -Corsair 650w psu
    -Win 7

Last edited by Lizard; 11-29-2012 at 08:52 PM.