Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Off topic

#21   Report Post  
    Old 11-21-2012, 10:38 PM
    Grand Inquisitor

Send a message via Skype™ to SAeN

If they are announcing some sort of sign of previous life (Which I doubt), it'll be particularly exciting for me since it's more I can (possibly) incorporate in my dissertation!

That said, I'm a life on Europa fan, heavy doubts about Mars.
      #22   Report Post  
    Old 11-21-2012, 10:58 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    We really have no idea how probable is is for life to start since we only have a data point of 1 (Earth). Yes it could be very unlikely that life will occur and for most Stars there could be no life surrounding them but for a tiny minority of stars with multiple planets in the correct orbits and made out of the right stuff and support life.
    if life was as possible to have it in other places, there is also a chance other places have advanced faster or close by and we would be bale to detect some form of technology/waves, so chances are if there is other life it's a long long way from here.

as for not knowing the chance of life being made they smashed the basic building blocks for life up simulating a meteor strike, they found these basic building blocks will combine but the chances of them forming in a way that would support a life form is tiny, if it really was that possible for it to happen on 2 planets so close together the lab experiment would of shown results as the chances of it happening would be quite high.

I still stand by if we are going to find life we need to concentrate on getting out of our solar system.

@TheXand, you destroyed your planet because of the tech you are using want to basically reset, your not going to use the same tech again, the theory is they seeded the life on the planet got rid of their tech then either died out or slowly lost the ability to make their own tech (due to not teaching it) so eventually you ended up with a low advancement species ready to rebuild from scratch, but the fact remains it is most likely a load bollocks and just a crackpot theory.
      #23   Report Post  
    Old 11-22-2012, 12:18 AM

I think it is completely ignorant to assume we know how life has to be made. What rules say that life has to be carbon-based? The universe is so vast and complex, heck the rules of gravity and physics may be completely different in another galaxy completely.

| AsRock Extreme3 Gen3 | Intel Core i5 2500K (Stock Cooler) | 8GB G.Skill DDR3 | Sapphire HD 7970 | 1TB WD Caviar Green | 5 TB WD External | Corsair 750HX PSU | Asus Xonar DS | NZXT Phantom | Tt Ultimate Challenger Keyboard | Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | Windows 8.1 Professional 64bit | Logitech z623 Sound System |

Steam
      #24   Report Post  
    Old 11-22-2012, 12:45 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PioneerRaptor View Post
    I think it is completely ignorant to assume we know how life has to be made. What rules say that life has to be carbon-based? The universe is so vast and complex, heck the rules of gravity and physics may be completely different in another galaxy completely.
    while that may be true it still doesn't support the theory of there should be different life in the deserted house next door, basically all I'm trying to say is for where we are chances are everything around us had the same bollocks so Mars and earth would of been bombarded with the similar crap so if the chances of our form of life being formed is so small why would it basically be in the burnt out house next door?
      #25   Report Post  
    Old 11-22-2012, 07:37 AM

Bel, it's actually reasonably likely for life, microbial at least, to spread between neighboring orbital bodies. Just throw in one massive metior shower and BOOM, cross pollination. There are those who think life originated from space via this route anyway....

Personally i think they may have found what was left of Katy Perry's soul. HOwever they had to dial back the release and the significance of the results after they found it was just another almost indistinguishable souless lump of rock, devoid of any use, purpose or general worth for the human race as a whole. So definitley her soul.

-------
    An irreverent look at gaming, and film; www.TheFunTurret.com
      #26   Report Post  
    Old 11-22-2012, 11:16 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Spatula View Post
    Bel, it's actually reasonably likely for life, microbial at least, to spread between neighboring orbital bodies. Just throw in one massive metior shower and BOOM, cross pollination. There are those who think life originated from space via this route anyway....
    but the way I've seen them say this has happened is the life wasn't actually on the rock the impact actually combined the basic stuff in the meteor with possibly other building blocks from the planet in a way that caused cells to form, but they have done test experiments where they basically fire the base building blocks for us in the same type of environment as the meteors hitting and they have found that these will combine this way but they have never been able to get the mix or time when they combine into what could become life. this is why I say the chances are small as unless this theory that seems to work but just with tiny odds of working is wrong and life just happened to land here already formed, but then that would mean we could never know where we came from until we got outside the solar system again. so I still say the chances of finding something on Mars is tiny.
      #27   Report Post  
    Old 11-22-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Belimawr View Post
    I still think they are looking far too close to home
    Yeah but how embarrassing would it be to hang on for hundreds/thousands/millions of years until we've perfected long distance space travel to start looking for extra-terrestrial life when it was right under our noses the whole time!
      #28   Report Post  
    Old 11-22-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
    if life was as possible to have it in other places, there is also a chance other places have advanced faster or close by and we would be bale to detect some form of technology/waves, so chances are if there is other life it's a long long way from here.
    That is assuming that a complex species of life forms always evolves that has an unquenchable curiosity in it's surroundings. Just because small microbes are not beaming out signals does not mean they are not there.

If a civilization is sending out a signal it might be composed of something we don't even know exists. If a civilization has mastered interstellar travel then they may well have found a way of beating the speed of light barrier or a way of getting round that problem, worm holes for example. So they will probably not be sending radio waves out since even though they travel incredibly quickly relative to the distances we live they take immense amounts of time to travel the vastness of deep space.

You may already know but there are credible theories suggesting that we have already been visited by an advanced alien civilization from a planet orbiting the closest star to us, Sirius.

Quote:
    I still stand by if we are going to find life we need to concentrate on getting out of our solar system.
    I think it is very arrogant of us to assume we know everything about our solar system when we know so little. Who knows what we might find?

Anyway to get out of our solar system we first need to be able to get around our star system first before we can even consider exploring deep space. So we may as well look for life as we do so.
    “There has seldom if ever been a shortage of eager young males prepared to kill and die to preserve the security, comfort and prejudices of their elders, and what you call heroism is just an expression of this simple fact; there is never a scarcity of idiots.” - Ian Banks
      #29   Report Post  
    Old 11-22-2012, 01:52 PM

They've found it then? Terry wogans other wig?

kerry katonas appeal?

People who actually vote on X-Factor?

The point of the Licence fee?

Lord Lucan?

...Lassy? (she never came home..)

Campers waiting for the next Ipad?

...Actual intelligent life? (Because theres fuck all on this planet as a whole..)

#30   Report Post  
    Old 11-23-2012, 07:07 AM

Quote:
    . this is why I say the chances are small as unless this theory that seems to work but just with tiny odds of working
    You're forgetting the timescales involved here mate, the probability of anything, no matter how unlikely rapidly approaches '1' the more time passes. Put in billions of years..... i see life (with the right mixtures present) as a certainty, not a probability.

Once the building blocks are there life will form, it's just a matter of time. It only takes one amino acid to form for it all to kick off.

As for life in the solar system- europa is a pretty good bet. lots of energy (hydrothermal vents), a protective barrier (ice) and liquid (water). I'd bet good money that there's life there. At least up to crustacean level.

But i'm holding out for zoidberg.

Quote:
    You may already know but there are credible theories suggesting that we have already been visited by an advanced alien civilization from a planet orbiting the closest star to us, Sirius.
    wait, what?

-------
    An irreverent look at gaming, and film; www.TheFunTurret.com