Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Games

#21   Report Post  
    Old 11-24-2012, 12:15 PM

Location: a gated compound at a secret location in rural America

It seems that this was triggered by the slot machines, but now the Estate are going after digital downloadable games as a whole amongst other things. They've named Middle-earth Enterprises and WB as co-defendants, and you can bet that if a court finds in the Estate's favour, a blanket revokation of all of Middle-earth Enterprises' unlawfully granted licenses would take place. And as that covers their right to grant licenses for ALL digital video game content, then LOTRO would certainly be for the chop, at least in its current form.

If it turns out that Middle-earth Enterprises never had the right to grant the licence for LOTRO to Turbine in the first place - or that Turbine never had the right to alter the terms of their license to make the game digital-only - it won't even be up for dispute. Everything unlawfully granted - LOTRO included - would doubtless be pulled back to the Estate, cutting Middle-earth Enterprises out of the decision-making. They'd be allowed to keep their legitimate rights, to the films and "tangible properties," but their knuckles would be badly rapped and they'd be told not to be so cheeky again.

It's worthy of note that pretty much every time the Estate has directly butted heads with Middle-earth Enterprises and their licensees, they have won. They might have settled out of court, but the language used in this lawsuit suggests that this is a matter of principle and integrity, and will not be settled easily. And this time the Estate has HarperCollins and Allen & Unwin named as plaintiffs and fighting their corner, too.

Any way you look at it, if a legal fist fight ensues, this is going to get messy and very interesting. I'm hoping for a brief but down and dirty scrap found ultimately in favour of old Chris and chums.

Another thing to remember is that the loot boxes in LOTRO can be considered gambling.
    And while I cannot speak for other places, here in the states the only boxes I can find on sale in brick and mortar only hold serial keys...nothing tangible like a dvd with the game on it.

Those two issues mentioned above and the decision to go digital only puts it in danger.
    The fact that you can get a game dvd in some of the Mithril Editions is beside the point as the game was digital only for close to 2 years before it was available.
      #22   Report Post  
    Old 11-24-2012, 03:58 PM

LoTRO is not digitally only and has never been. Just because you can't find a boxed copy doesn't mean they aren't sold. I know for a fact I can go to my local Exchange (military) and find a boxed copy right now.

| AsRock Extreme3 Gen3 | Intel Core i5 2500K (Stock Cooler) | 8GB G.Skill DDR3 | Sapphire HD 7970 | 1TB WD Caviar Green | 5 TB WD External | Corsair 750HX PSU | Asus Xonar DS | NZXT Phantom | Tt Ultimate Challenger Keyboard | Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | Windows 8.1 Professional 64bit | Logitech z623 Sound System |

Steam

Last edited by PioneerRaptor; 11-24-2012 at 04:00 PM.
      #23   Report Post  
    Old 11-25-2012, 11:47 AM

Apologies you are correct. While these were originally two licences, one based on the books owned by Turbine and one for the films and games derived from the films owned by New Line, who are in turn owned by Warner Brothers, Turbine was purchased by Warner Brothers in 2010.
      #24   Report Post  
    Old 11-25-2012, 01:30 PM

Location: a gated compound at a secret location in rural America

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PioneerRaptor View Post
    LoTRO is not digitally only and has never been. Just because you can't find a boxed copy doesn't mean they aren't sold. I know for a fact I can go to my local Exchange (military) and find a boxed copy right now.
    After theinitial run of the Mines of Moria expansion in November of 2008 Turbine stopped making dvds for the game.
    they went 100% digital only after that.
    Siege of Mrikwood....digital only
    Rise of Insegard...digital only
    Riders of Rohan digital only

On or about Feburary of 2012 Turbine started to offer a brick n mortar dvd of the game in what they were calling the Mithril Edition Starter Pack.

so for close to 3 years Turbine did not make any dvds for lotro and was 100% digital only.
      #25   Report Post  
    Old 11-25-2012, 01:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to Megazell Send a message via MSN to Megazell Send a message via Skype™ to Megazell

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PioneerRaptor View Post
    That's sort of true. I know places where you can still buy copies of Matrix Online.