Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Games

#1   Report Post  
    Old 11-19-2012, 05:25 PM

Default Games you're sure you'll love - but haven't got around to playing yet.

Some people are really careful about their game purchases - they select only the highest-quality games, and/or games that offer great long-term value.

I'm not really one of those people.

I finish between 40 and 63 games a year (63 was my record - 2007!) and probably buy 100 or more. This is getting harder to track with all the free games these days - PC and otherwise.

Anyway, I have a bunch of games installed and ready to play that I just... never... actually... do. I thought it might be fun to share lists, and hopefully berate one another about which games we really need to collectively get around to finally.

1 - Witcher / Witcher 2. I've started the first game 4 times, and I love it. But it requires such an investment in learning... I feel like after 2 days away I'm better off starting over again. And the choices you make even in the intro make me feel like I'm already missing out on important things! I bought the sequel at launch, and installed it in anticipation of, eventually, finishing the original.

2 - Thief: Deadly Shadows. I adored the first two Thief games. I heard the third wasn't so good, but I bought it anyway. Recently I've heard some people say it was amazing - but I'm not swayed enough either way to play it or uninstall it.

3 - Fallout 3. Everyone agrees that it's awesome. I totally plan to start playing it... someday.

4 - Dragon Age (might as well include Mass Effect here as well, though I have that on console). This one is more clear - cut. I've played and adored these sort of RPGs for most of my life - but as an adult I just never seem to have the time to sink into them the way I nostalgize sinking into Ultima IV or Dungeon Master or Ultima VII or Chrono Trigger.
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 11-19-2012, 06:41 PM

Well, I'm not at home so I can't see my Steam list to see. However, I do have quite a few:

- The Witcher/Witcher 2: I've actually purchased the first game twice (hard copy/digital copy). I've started it twice and didn't enjoy it the first time. However, I was able to get really enjoy it the second time by approaching it differently. Another game caught my attention though, and I'll most likely start over if I go back to it. I also bought Witcher 2 anticipating I would beat the first one relatively soon.

- Thief Series: I also own the entire series and I just haven't got to it. I love stealth games and I have heard a lot about the series.

I'll have to update this list when I get home.

| AsRock Extreme3 Gen3 | Intel Core i5 2500K (Stock Cooler) | 8GB G.Skill DDR3 | Sapphire HD 7970 | 1TB WD Caviar Green | 5 TB WD External | Corsair 750HX PSU | Asus Xonar DS | NZXT Phantom | Tt Ultimate Challenger Keyboard | Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | Windows 8.1 Professional 64bit | Logitech z623 Sound System |

Steam
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 11-19-2012, 06:54 PM

Skyrim - Love the Elder Scrolls series but just haven't had time to play this yet.

Dark Souls - I keep looking at this game longingly but like with Skyrim, my gaming backlog is so big, I just haven't had time to play it.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 11-19-2012, 07:01 PM

The only game I can think of is Shadow of the Colossus. It's a playstation exclusive so can't buy it on PC (think they released a remastered edition for PS3 but don't have any current-gen consoles since I switched from PS2 to PC) and PS2 emulation is still pretty demanding. So they tell me.
    2nd hand copies go for as much as £60 and my dusty old console isn't going to be of this earthly realm for much longer so it's not worth the price tag.

Everything else I've hoovered up in the Steam sales over the years. Maybe a few more recent EA and Ubi titles like Assassin's Creed 3, Driver: San Francisco, the next-gen Prince of Persia abominations - all of which I refuse to buy on the basis that they're published by money-grabbing weasels.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PioneerRaptor View Post
    - Thief Series: I also own the entire series and I just haven't got to it. I love stealth games and I have heard a lot about the series.
    x2 on that. I've gotten half way through the first, but got distracted by other shiny games like a magpie with ADD.

I also bought Knights of the Old Republic because I like sci-fi Bioware games (basically just Mass Effect) but finding out it's all number-crunching and not live-action combat made me sad.

Also have the first two S.T.A.L.K.E.R games as I figured it was a survival horror edition of Fallout 3, but found it too... Russian? Can't really explain it - I just felt depressed playing it. Which is kind of the idea I guess, but not in the way one would like. How ever one would like to feel depressed...

Sorry, I've strayed into 'games you thought you'd love, started playing but then gave up on'.

Last edited by agr1ppa; 11-19-2012 at 07:33 PM.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 11-19-2012, 07:40 PM

Dragon Age is one game that is very much worth any time invested in it; even the much-maligned second incarnation. Dark, gritty games with actual 'role' playing.

I would love to get in Hearts of Iron and Crusader Kings: I'm yet to get past the tutorial. I think it'll take a weekend dedicated to them to even scratch the surface. Alas, Total War always takes over! I wish these games would have better tutorials rather than a list of incessant text boxes...
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 11-19-2012, 07:44 PM

Another one for The Witcher 2 here. Loved the first, preordered the second from GOG, but just never got around to downloading it all.

Similarly RIsen.

I've played (and adored) Thief 1 and 3, but never got around to 2 as of yet, which most people say is the best of the series.

Edit: And I can completely identify with thequillguy's take on the HoI games as well!

Last edited by Burglar; 11-19-2012 at 07:47 PM.
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 11-19-2012, 08:50 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Burglar View Post
    I've played (and adored) Thief 1 and 3, but never got around to 2 as of yet, which most people say is the best of the series.
    I will re-emphisize what you have heard - Thief 2 is FABULOUS. Thief 1 was quite good, but actually only half the levels were any good at all - the other half were zombie-combat mishmash.

Thief 2 is nothing but good levels, polished up, and three times as many.

See also: System Shock 2. Just as good as Thief 2 - with a totally different aesthetic.
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 11-19-2012, 09:00 PM

A space sim like X3. I am sure I would love this type of game but I haven't really played them before. Well I have played a lot of EVE but it is not really a space sim when it comes to the physics of your space ship.
    “There has seldom if ever been a shortage of eager young males prepared to kill and die to preserve the security, comfort and prejudices of their elders, and what you call heroism is just an expression of this simple fact; there is never a scarcity of idiots.” - Ian Banks
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 11-19-2012, 09:11 PM

Too many.
    I only complete around..6ish games a year, so clearly I have missed out on a lot.
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 11-19-2012, 10:10 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by agr1ppa View Post
    I also bought Knights of the Old Republic because I like sci-fi Bioware games (basically just Mass Effect) but finding out it's all number-crunching and not live-action combat made me sad.
    It makes me sad that it makes you sad. KoTOR is one of my favorite games of all time.

| AsRock Extreme3 Gen3 | Intel Core i5 2500K (Stock Cooler) | 8GB G.Skill DDR3 | Sapphire HD 7970 | 1TB WD Caviar Green | 5 TB WD External | Corsair 750HX PSU | Asus Xonar DS | NZXT Phantom | Tt Ultimate Challenger Keyboard | Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | Windows 8.1 Professional 64bit | Logitech z623 Sound System |

Steam