Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Off topic

#51   Report Post  
    Old 11-20-2012, 01:23 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Belimawr View Post
    @Agr, why do you assume a computer would need to be the size of a continent? this is the same thinking from the 60's/70's when a standard computer took an entire room and they though they would take up several rooms and be more powerful by the 80's but the fact is tech is getting smaller and more powerful, it's only a couple of years ago you wouldn't of thought a quad core CPU and 12 core/stream GPU would be in something anywhere near as small as a mobile phone.

[...]

as for tracking the movement of molecules the common belief round that is if you can track them all and can predict their movement you can see the future but it does nothing for time travel it's just a way to 100% see what the future will be, but it is near impossible to track every molecule in the universe and predict how they will all move, so by the time that was even close to possible you have more chance of just having time travel.
    Was kind of joking - though one can't help but imagine computers based on current specs than future. The whole future prediction thing was just a tangent I wound up on (as I often do) somewhat related to the original topic. I do that. Too often.

Quote:
    as for stopping stuff they have created near absolute zero on earth and anything that enters it basically stops including light so theoretically if you can stop all movement at a sub molecular level everything including time stops, but the same is also true for extreme gravity, but it isn't time travel it's just a way of causing the person to age slower than everything around them, the same is also true for close the light speed travel, the best example of this in real life was actually concord, if you had 2 watches or timers started at the same time sent one on concord and had the other on the ground as normal, the one on concord would be running several seconds slower on landing due to the fact it could travel faster than the speed of sound, so the faster you go the more this time difference will happen.
    I was just trying to establish some notion of what 'time' actually is. Is it an actual entity like a particle or wave that can be detected and manipulated or is it an abstract term for the way things change and the speed at which they do so? If everything in the universe just stopped (hypothetically in big block capitals) would 'time' still pass or is it only evident by the constant change?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    I think you are misunderstanding chaos theory (or maybe I have) but chaos does not say that everything isn't a result of chain reactions.
    Was just using the word chaos in the general term: chaotic; unpredictable; doesn't follow any apparent rules.

Quote:
    it's also quantum theory that has basically proven sub atomic particles can pop in and out of existence at any time
    It's things like that which make my head explode. How can something come out of nothing? DOES NOT COMPUTE. INITIATING SHUT DOWN SAFETY PROTOCOL. PROTECT THE CEREBELLUM.

As I said 0% knowledge of all things quantum. Forgive me my ignorance.
    When you guys figure it all out I hope you'll still let me use the teleport booths.

Last edited by agr1ppa; 11-20-2012 at 01:30 AM.
      #52   Report Post  
    Old 11-20-2012, 01:47 AM
    Banned

Who would have guessed such an innocent thread title would have led to such brainhurt.

Terminator 1 and 2 really dodged a bullet by not going too far into time travel theories, just zapping a naked bodybuilder back in time and having him shoot shit up.
      #53   Report Post  
    Old 11-20-2012, 07:30 AM

wow plummy... talk about giving me a headache (in a good way)!

I disagree that we'd need to artificially accelerate us or another species to allow space or time travel, i don't think you're giving us enough credit. I also don't think you realise just how simple a lot of the more complex theories are/ Granted they were an absolute fucker to work out, but many of them (string theory in particular) are strikingly elegant and simple.

We're already shown a capacity far beyond our humble beginnings for technological and social advancement (though we seem to be sliding backwards on the last one) so i have no reason to doubt that we could master the given tech if required.

As for incorpopral entities, i think that's sci-fi fantasy. conservation of energy and basic physics preclude it as a possibility, given our current level of understanding. I think, personally, that corporeal forms are as good as it gets (including synthetics here).

As for the universe and what it's expanding into- i think we're getting mired down in 4 dimensions here, the leading theories (and some of the crackpot, but wildly entertaining ones) posit that there are at least seven dimensions. Therefore it's not simply a case of imagining what the universe is expanding into, but when, and if it was a Tuesday, am i late for the bus.

-------
    An irreverent look at gaming, and film; www.TheFunTurret.com
      #54   Report Post  
    Old 11-20-2012, 08:27 AM

Will it take years of advancement, changes to being etc, or will we just luck out with the dicoveries as usual? Probably while looking for boobies, which is surely going to be the ultimate use for time travel - boobies and dancing rabbits. At £50 a month.
    Om - Thats a funny thing, winners never talk of Glorious Victories. That's because they're the ones who see what the battlefield looks like afterward. It's only the losers who have Glorious Victories.

T Pratchett, Small Gods.
      #55   Report Post  
    Old 11-20-2012, 01:17 PM

What will boobies look like when we don't have a form I wonder?
      #56   Report Post  
    Old 11-20-2012, 01:31 PM

I'm going to propose that we're all the wild imaginings of my uncle Ernie, and when he drops his cigar in his lap and wakes up with his crotch on fire we're all fucked.

Quote:
    as for artificially advancing a race, while it does seem a good concept you lose survival of the fittest (something the human race lost a long time ago) so you end up with a race getting weaker and less useful, machines and medical science have allowed the weak to live and it undone millions of years of evolution as we lost the need for those skills
    Is the fact that we're above natural selection not testament to the fact that we are the fittest? Against most other animals our senses are relatively dull: we've no huge teeth or sharp claws; no natural armour; walking upright means our soft underbodies are exposed to attack - but our strength is in our ability to use tools, communicate, work together and change the world to suit us, rather than change to suit the world.

With greater understanding of genetics we could eventually eradicate all genetic illnesses which you fear will become more prevalent as we keep the 'inferior' alive - and with the ability to modify ourselves we could evolve in the way we want, much faster than random mutation and natural selection allows. We could even adapt into different 'classes' of human depending on what purpose we wish to serve.

Things are probably relatively primitive at the moment, but I still think our current direction is preferable to going back to our more bestial roots. Don't know how this relates to time travel, though.

/off topic tangent

Last edited by agr1ppa; 11-20-2012 at 01:46 PM.
      #57   Report Post  
    Old 11-20-2012, 02:38 PM

see my problem with the lack of natural selection although we have tools that can help us, something like a lion or shark is still more capable of survival than we are and this is where humans fall down, we are too reliant on that tech and nature can easily take it away from us, when that day comes were are basically screwed.

to be fair if you could teach a monkey to use a gun effectively they would be more powerful than us as they are stronger and faster than we are so without the tech they could still most likely take us down. so really survival of the fittest got replaced by tech that we are now reliant on, say if there was a massive solar flare that caused a EM pulse it knocked out most of our electrical systems what would happen to us? as a race we would basically be dead in the water until everything was restored.
      #58   Report Post  
    Old 11-20-2012, 03:54 PM

True that we've lost a lot of basic survival skills since our settlement into decadent capitaleest peeeegs (cue bad Russian accent), but I think we'd cope. We'd probably lose a substantial chunk of our population but adaptability is in our nature.

If we get attacked by AK-47 wielding monkeys we could still probably out-wit them, and if guile doesn't work there's nothing a few laser-guided missiles can't cure. Sharks in F16s, though...

True what you say about the threat of EMP as well - and scientists are quite aware of how much damage such a thing could do to our infrastructure and are working on ways to detect a potential solar flare and perhaps protect the most important tech from it. Our utilisation of technology is both our greatest strength and greatest weakness at the same time, it seems.

Oh and if we could stop using it to kill each other in greater and more efficient ways that'd be cool.
      #59   Report Post  
    Old 11-20-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
    Oh and if we could stop using it to kill each other in greater and more efficient ways that'd be cool.
    and here lies the biggest problem with advancing animals, they are all heavily territorial with the likes of dogs being very pack dependant, so you have a chance of advancing an even more fractured race leading to way more problems as they combat each other.
      #60   Report Post  
    Old 11-20-2012, 06:33 PM

We are not above natural selection, and its dangerous to think we are.
    Indeed it raises lots of ethical quandries, such as should IVF be used to let infertile couples have children? In an overtaxed, overpopulated and under resourced world, should medicines and artificial means be used to allow severely diabled/disadvantaged people to live? By extending old age, are we wasting resources that could be better spent enabling the next generation?