Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Off topic

#21   Report Post  
    Old 11-18-2012, 11:14 AM

As for time travel. If you can break the light barrier, you can time travel (hence wormholes beig a common meme in this regard).

Gravity too, we know, can bend time. Or rather, time behaves differently depending on the strength of the gravity.

There was also an interesting documentary on bbc4 a while ago where they were discussing alternatives to string theory. One held (apologies, I forget the name) that time itself is actually a wave- with our 3 dimensions located within . This wave runs along side multiple other waves- when these waves collide, big bangs form, and so do universes.

To prove this they need I show there was more than one big bang (which an increasing number of people believ is possible). They've figured out how to test for it too....

If this holds then all bets on time travel are off- would require a fundamental re-write of physics. Exciting stuff.

-------
    An irreverent look at gaming, and film; www.TheFunTurret.com
      #22   Report Post  
    Old 11-18-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    If we could see people/aliens/things that have traveled back in time would we not be seeing them now? This kind of suggests that we will never harness the ability to travel back in time.

It is possible to travel into the future though. If you went on a train at near the speed of light and stepped off at the end of your journey you would find that time appears to have jumped forwards for everyone else compared to what you experienced. This is due to time dilation from special relativity.
    this is where both theories can answer it, on fate the person was always meant to be at that point in time when they are so no one notices the difference, then you have the multiple universes where if someone on our time line travels back in time and changes something they cause the time line to split off and as far as we are aware everything happened the way it was meant to, until you can track every person on earth at the same time you will never know if people pop in and out or not.

@spats science has been wrong many many times as for the whole energy can't be created, technically everything is a form of energy and before the big bang there was nothing not even time, so in a split second a massive amount of energy came into being that was never there before, now you can assume this is where anti matter comes in as it is the opposite of matter meaning the universe created it self by also creating a negative version of it's self, now the entire fact that there could be a negative version of the universe we can't see says that physics could be very different, extreme gravity has already shown it can effect physics as we know it, so to believe what we know as physics now is the limits of what is possible is basically the same as admitting to believing in creation theory.
      #23   Report Post  
    Old 11-18-2012, 11:49 AM

God being a carrot seems perfectly feasable to me. (Well as feasable as any other myth).
    Especially when you factor in that Rabbits eat carrots!
    I AM YOUR GOD NOW!!!!!!
      #24   Report Post  
    Old 11-18-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JackRabbit View Post
    God being a carrot seems perfectly feasable to me. (Well as feasable as any other myth).
    Especially when you factor in that Rabbits eat carrots!
    I AM YOUR GOD NOW!!!!!!
    to be honest if you had enough technology you could pretty much claim to be a god, it's the same was if you went back far enough with some of the more simple technology we have now it would be seen as magic and you would possibly burnt as a witch, so who is to say a god figure actually has to be what the religion says? all it has to be is someone who is basically untouchable and can do pretty much anything and with technology that could be possible so the person controlling the tech would end up being god.
      #25   Report Post  
    Old 11-18-2012, 02:59 PM

I mean this thread when I was really pissed so don't dare to read my post lol. I just don't understand where there is any evidence for multiple Universes, it just seems like wishful thinking to me and is about as true as there being a God. I mean having a Universe for every possible action...... why would there be? The problem is most of this is all theory, I just never see any fact around time, the creation of the universe etc etc. They say the Universe is expanding around a single point but then say time might not even exist. Surely if The Big Bang happened then time has to exist or the Universe would just be and there would be no big bang, it would have already happened and not happened.

Saying there are no Gods is probably wrong, I mean if we became so advanced we could plant life on other Planets or even create Planets then we'd essentially be a god for the life on that Planet. Jesus could have been an Alien who was God and created us in his image and was talking to his ship which was a light in the sky.... who knows lol. I don't believe that, I believe life started from comets bringing it to our Planet via water or it already being here. I think it is funny that people don't believe in Gods, they could just be very advanced alien life.
      #26   Report Post  
    Old 11-18-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
    I don't believe that, I believe life started from comets bringing it to our Planet via water or it already being here. I think it is funny that people don't believe in Gods, they could just be very advanced alien life.
    they have actually been doing tests and firing a mix of separate bits that make up proteins at high speed and similar conditions to a meteor they have found they will combine so in a one in a billion chance you just need that rock with the right bits to hit and them to join in the correct way and you have a basic life form.

and that's the point with god, if you went back far enough pulled out something as simple as a torch or a lighter and you would be seen as using magic, so is it really that hard to believe that someone with tech way ahead of ours could pass for a god? considering most of the god events happened thousands of years ago if we could go back there now with stuff we take for granted we could be classed as a god or something like Jesus, as the majority of miracles can be recreated by simple technology and advancements that we take for granted.
      #27   Report Post  
    Old 11-18-2012, 03:45 PM

Yes science has been wrong before, or rather a theory within it was wrong, but you can only work on what's in front of you (so to speak), so my point stands.... For now!

As for multiverse theory, it actually makes far more sense than you'd think. There's a way to test for it too- they're just trying to design the kit required...

But the whole 'why came before the universe thing' is a very scary question of
    You think about itt too much. Especially if drunk. So don't do that!

-------
    An irreverent look at gaming, and film; www.TheFunTurret.com
      #28   Report Post  
    Old 11-18-2012, 04:14 PM

There is a way you could proove the multiverse theory to yourself, just not to everyone else.
    Basically, play russian roulette with a gun set with a 50/50 chance of firing a bullet.
    Put gun to head.
    Pull trigger.
    Do this 1000 times. If you are still alive at the end of it, as the multiple universe theory postulates that there must be at least one universe where this outcome is inevitable, congratulations, you have proved to yourself that there is a multiverse.
    Unfortunately you have also created several hundred universes filled with grieving relatives.

Important safety tip.
    NEVER perform this experiement!
      #29   Report Post  
    Old 11-18-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scaramoosh View Post
    I think it is funny that people don't believe in Gods, they could just be very advanced alien life.
    then they're not 'gods', just very advanced alien life.
      #30   Report Post  
    Old 11-18-2012, 04:57 PM
    Banned

I like some of the stuff from Nick Bostrom. He contends that a civilization will eventually evolve technology powerful enough to run a perfect simulation of reality.

And when we reach this point we could possibly do 1 of 3 things.

1. Do nothing with the technology. choose not to pursue running ancestor simulations.
    2. Use the technology and run ancestor simulations of reality .
    3. Destroy ourselves or be destroyed (control option if not 1 or 2)

So, working on the basis that option 1 is unlikely cause you just would....and in option 2 if you can run one perfect simulation of reality then presumably you could run millions.

So if you have one reality and a million simulations indistinguishable from it, what are the chances that we are living on the top level? Practically nil, or option 3.

It's insane right? but when you look at it, the assumptions needed to get there are not so crazy..

There's another guy too, Professor Gates. He's into string theory and he's been trying to visualize some of his advanced string theory equations by sorta turning them into graphics... like a complicated mandlebrot. Anyway, he says buried down in the deep parts of string theory he's found evidence of error correcting computer code, and not just any code specific code written in the 1940's.

So that's it, we're living in a sim.