Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Games

#1   Report Post  
    Old 11-17-2012, 11:50 PM

Default STAR CITIZEN: The Space Sim Isn't Dead

[SIZE="2"]Crowdfunding ends soon!!

[URL="http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/"]http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/[/URL]

From the website:

The core concept of Star Citizen is that it’s a destination, not a one-off story. It’s a complete universe where any number of stories can take place. Players will have the opportunity to decide their own game experience. Pick up jobs as a smuggler, pirate, merchant, bounty hunter, or soldier. It’s a universe we’ve always wanted to create. We want to build a huge sandbox with a complex and deep lore that allows the players to explore in whatever capacity they want.

Squadron 42

The project also includes Squadron 42, a single player campaign that takes place within the Star Citizen universe. Able to be played off-line or with friends, you essentially sign up to fly for the UEE fleet, manning the front lines, protecting settlements from Vanduul warbands. If you prove yourself, you might get asked to join the legendary 42nd Squadron. Set up like the French Foreign Legion, they can always be found in the toughest war zones and always manage to come out on top. Once you complete your tour however, you re-enter the persistent Star Citizen universe with some money in your pocket and Citizenship to find your way.

Open World Architecture

The great thing about this is that you don’t have to do Squadron 42.

“The single-player military campaign sits inside this open world architecture in a holistic fashion.”
    You can basically decide that you’re going to be a merchant or pirate and never join the military. Having that choice for the player is fantastic. What we’re talking about here is a combination of everything that made Wing Commander great along with everything that made Privateer great. The single-player military campaign sits inside this open world architecture in a holistic fashion.

While you will probably spend a majority of time in the cockpit there will be first-person mechanics built into the game. When you are flying on some of the bigger ships (transports, carriers, etc.), you will be able to wander the halls of the ship while a friend pilots, jump on a turret if you get attacked, even repel attempted boarders if needed.

Physics

“…the physics in the game are dynamic and procedural…”

One of the most exciting things is the capacity for true Newtonian physics. We have also designed the ships with a Fly-By-Wire system similar to an F35. In short, the computer will make the physical calculations in order to pull off what you want to do. The ship’s computer takes your input on the joystick, throttle and pedals, crunches it into the necessary vectors and velocities needed to achieve it then utilizes the appropriate thrusters and engine to execute it. The idea is that the ship’s computer is simplifying things because it’s just too complicated for you to figure it all out on your own. This means that the physics in the game are dynamic and procedural and not script or data-driven. It’s a full flight dynamic system that will work for bigger ship as well as the smaller ships.

Level of Detail

Being on a PC allows us to create the world in a greater level of detail and fidelity than we could on a console platform. We want it to be open and not be bound to legacy technology of consoles or their revenue models. For example, most AAA games use about 10,000 polygons for their lead characters. We are using over 100,000 polygons for ours, allowing you to see such details wires, the equipment, even creases in their clothing which all contributes to the immersion of the player. It also allows you to find the same level of detail carry over from a character (1.8meters in size) to a fighter (27 meters) even up to a carrier (1 kilometer in size.) All without a load screen or loss of visual fidelity.
    [/SIZE]
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 11-18-2012, 01:19 AM

Hardly a Sim, in real life you cannot turn like a fighter jet in space.
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 11-18-2012, 02:23 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scaramoosh View Post
    Hardly a Sim, in real life you cannot turn like a fighter jet in space.
    Really? this is a game for people to play, this is not being designed for NASA.

This game is going to be fucking epic, definitely gonna make the 4.5 mil, its goin up so fast though it may make 5
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 11-18-2012, 07:46 AM

Damnit, I'm sick of kickstarter games being advertised. I see a thread title like this one and I think Oooh, a space sim, I like those and there are so few! Then I enter the thread and I see it doesn't exist yet and is at least a year away.

I wish people would give it a rest advertising for kickstarters. There are so many now that the idea has become diluted, most fail - and rightly so because if you see most of them, they're utterly pathetic.

Bah.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 11-18-2012, 08:49 AM

Exclamation ATTENTION: 10 Hours Left to get get Star Citizen Alpha Access!

I just found out about this game today (saturday) and was surprised that I hadn't heard of it before. It's Chris Roberts, that guy that made Wing Commander 1 and 2 and Privateer, doing an online version of privateer/EVE style. Same style of space dogfighting as WC and trading/smuggling/pirating/military/freelancing as privateer but in an online/offline/multiplayer/singleplayer setting! Anyways if you pledge to the game during the fundraiser drive, which ENDS on monday!!! you get access to the ALPHA AND BETA. Here's a link to it

[url]http://www.robertsspaceindustries.co...zen/?rid=64294[/url]

Go take a look and watch the extended trailer where he shows you actual in game rendering and describes what he is making. It's being done entirely by fan funding and not beholden to any publisher so nothing will be rushed. They needed 500k to start work, and have over 4.6million already. Go check it out!
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 11-18-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dystar View Post
    I just found out about this game today (saturday) and was surprised that I hadn't heard of it before
    I too am surprised that you haven't heard of it - as there is a another Star Citizen thread on this very forum page
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 11-18-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dayve View Post
    Damnit, I'm sick of kickstarter games being advertised. I see a thread title like this one and I think Oooh, a space sim, I like those and there are so few! Then I enter the thread and I see it doesn't exist yet and is at least a year away.

I wish people would give it a rest advertising for kickstarters. There are so many now that the idea has become diluted, most fail - and rightly so because if you see most of them, they're utterly pathetic.

Bah.
    You have no idea who Chris Roberts is, do you?
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 11-18-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JJUNG View Post
    You have no idea who Chris Roberts is, do you?
    It's not the point really. You have signed up here just to advertise a game that everyone who is interested in will already know about it thanks to the ample coverage PCG has given it.

We don't like spam.
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 11-18-2012, 12:52 PM

to be honest this game has had that much spam I won't even be looking at it and I know a lot of others who wont, who ever thought spamming was a valid way to advertise was a total moron and if they work in the PR/advertising they should be sacked.
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 11-19-2012, 01:10 AM

lol yeah sorry didnt see that one, was just so excited and trying to get the word out. 18 hours left and already at 5.06mil. Easily going to hit the 5.5mil mark for the biggest thing they possibly hoped to achieve, the bengel class CARRIER. Imagine being in a guild owning one of those things.... drooool