Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Games

    Reply
     
    Thread Tools Display Modes
      #81   Report Post  
    Old 11-16-2012, 08:28 PM
    Don Megamuffin Don Megamuffin is offline
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: Jun 2011
    Posts: 11
    Default

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dannyboyslim View Post
    I've been reading this thread since its inception, and although I've severely reduced my forum postings of late, I just could not resist coming in on this one.

    The main thing that I seem to get is that a lot of people feel the PC game has been harshly reviewed - and their basis for this is playing other versions, or the Sniper Challenge free download, or off gameplay videos from YT etc...

    Take Don Megamuffin above for example, he has created an account in which at time of writing this he had posted only twice, both in this thread, to spew forth vitriolic bile concerning how he played the free Sniper Challenge bit and saw no tech problems, has seen some videos on YT which he links disputing one part of Toms review, and therefore he feels that the review is a complete travesty (He asks Tom to come on here to "justify his lies".)

    He makes no mention of actually playing the PC game itself from start to finish, something which runs with the other forumites posting up the nastiness in this thread.
    Yet this is something Tom HAS done, and reviewed it accordingly.

    I know whose opinion I value more, and it isn't the chap with the foodstuff in his forum ID."
    At no point have I said the game has been harshly reviewed, I just feel, if a reviewer, who is paid to do what he does, lies about information and uses it against the game as strongly as it has been used it is completely unacceptable. When I read a game review from PC gamer I am always impressed by the neutral attitude the reviewer seems to enter the review in, and how the review doesn't seem to be biased in any way, but reading the review for hitman absolution, that sort of attitude doesn't come across, I was shocked when reading the review by how Tom seemed to enter the review wanting to hate the game, and this sort of attitude clearly comes across with the sort of language he uses.

    The fact that the review includes at least one lie in it (maybe more as people have already mentioned others, I'm yet to play the game, but one I'm certain of), that makes me think that Tom has gone into the game having done any research (in this case, not even looking in the controls menu and finding out how to throw a bomb, not that we know what the menus look and feel like, as they aren't mentioned once throughout the entire review). I'm not saying I feel it has been harshly reviewed, i didn't say that once, I just don't think what PCG has published isn't at all a review, it's one, jaded, man's rant on why the new hitman game is dead.

    And on the topic of the bad performance, no, I can not say anything for definite, the only way anyone can know why the game ran so badly on 2 of the PC's he used is if he releases the information on the specs of the computers that were used, but until then I think I, and any others, should be allowed to make an educated guess, you know, having actually ran the engine on my mid-range PC and it running perfectly with all the settings on ultra.

    I have had this PCgamer account for over a year now, and I never take part in any forum discussions at all, and I don't think you have any right to talk down to me because of that or assume that my points are any less valid than yours because you've posted XYZ times on whatever forum, until I read the review of this game I had no interest in posting on any forum, but I was so shocked I wanted to see if the community agrees with me, and it seems a lot of them do. I use this account for mainly posting on articles written by PCG staff, if that's a problem go ahead and continue with the part of your comment that specifies it as one, but if you can come to terms with the fact that not everyone wants to post on the forums, but might actually want an account, then that's probably better for both of us.

    I also think if you believe that it's okay for a reviewer to outright lie to you in, especially, such a shocking review, then in that you are wrong.

    Last edited by Don Megamuffin; 11-16-2012 at 08:38 PM.
    Reply With Quote
      #82   Report Post  
    Old 11-16-2012, 10:22 PM
    The_B The_B is offline
    Banned
     
    Join Date: Jun 2010
    Location: Being eaten by a Grue
    Posts: 1,283
    Default

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Don Megamuffin View Post
    I would very much like to know the specs of the PC's he ran the game on before he even starts to use this as an excuse, until those have actually been told to me I can't accept what he's saying.

    I've played the sniper challenge at a constant 60+ FPS on a fairly mid range machine (GTX460, AMD II X4 965 @ 3.69Ghz, 4gb RAM). So the only conclusion I can come to from this point that TF has made is either that IO is running the full game on a completely different engine that they haven't told us about and it extremely un-optimized, or he's running it off his office calculator.
    Granted, he doesn't say the exact specs -and I'm not saying there's no merit to disclosing them - but surely the fact that he states they can run Skyrim smoothly - a game that's only just a year old and frankly has had it's own share of fairly well publicised tech problems with different systems is a reasonable indicator of the rough specifications. For reference though, the "best" machine specs - and I would assume the one that in this case probably worked but at the moment we don't know for certain - is posted in the intro to the reviews section every month.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dannyboyslim
    Am I the only one who sees so many new forum members only posting in this thread alone, and wonders if they could possibly be the same person under different names?
    In fairness it's literally because it is a very different score to what most other reviews so far have given, which has brought a lot of attention to it but as I said earlier, there's a few reasons for the reaction and the big one is to do with this silly print/online seperate embargoes.

    You see, the internet embargo doesn't lift until (from what I've heard since asking around since this thread) Sunday/Monday. As a result the only reviews currently are those from print publications. Of course, while the embargo stops most of the "official" online sites from posting their reviews, they can't do much about folks reading the magazine reviews and then posting them and/or scans on community sites. And right now PC Gamer is pretty much the only PC gaming magazine these days as a lot of PC focused outlets are naturally, based online. As a result, it's pretty much the only truly PC-based review until the others start appearing online on Sunday/Monday so if the PC version is radically different from the other versions, no-one will know until then.


    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dannyboyslim
    Ordinarily I wouldn't jump in to such threads, I don't mind people disagreeing with reviews, it happens all the time, but to see some of the venomous comments directed at Tom on a personal level in this thread, I feel the need to comment.
    I agree, the personal attacks are uncalled for. I've not always agreed with Tom on reviews, but I do trust his opinion on the Hitman series partially because of the many things he's written on it that I've enjoyed and not just for PCG. I've seen his review process first hand a few years ago when I first did work experience for PCG, and since then have had a fair amount of contact with him naturally during my freelancing etc. I have no reason to believe he'd intentionally lie.

    As an aside I'm really a bit fed up of 'fanboy' accusations being thrown around too. I don't see how "Oh this guy agreed with the review HE MUST BE A FANBOY - this guy disagreed with the review HE MUST BE A FANBOY" argument works. I mean, seriously - it's just a damn lazy excuse for an insult.
    Reply With Quote
      #83   Report Post  
    Old 11-16-2012, 11:02 PM
    Don Megamuffin Don Megamuffin is offline
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: Jun 2011
    Posts: 11
    Default

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by The_B View Post
    As an aside I'm really a bit fed up of 'fanboy' accusations being thrown around too. I don't see how "Oh this guy agreed with the review HE MUST BE A FANBOY - this guy disagreed with the review HE MUST BE A FANBOY" argument works. I mean, seriously - it's just a damn lazy excuse for an insult.
    I agree that fanboy is not a nice term to be thrown around, but in the situation, and if, which I'm sure you have, read the review it is quite clearly biased in terms of it being a review of the Hitman franchise and direction, rather than the actual new game itself. It's also quite clear that when minor trip ups, like the throwing explosives one, are published, that the reviewer himself is not as well informed on the product that he is reviewing as he maybe should be.
    Reply With Quote
      #84   Report Post  
    Old 11-16-2012, 11:14 PM
    Klatu Klatu is offline
    Senior Member
     
    Join Date: Jun 2010
    Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts: 1,042
    Default

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Don Megamuffin View Post
    ...it is quite clearly biased in terms of it being a review of the Hitman franchise and direction, rather than the actual new game itself. .
    So when Half Life 3 eventually turns up the reviewer shouldn't compare/contrast it to HL 1 or HL 2 Ep?

    Hitman is also a long running (and well loved) franchise. Tom is a great fan of the franchise and he was disappointed by the direction that the latest iteration took.

    He also stated that even though as a 'Hitman' game it was below par, as a generic stealth murder game it was fine, it seems to me that you are protesting too much about one mans opinion about a game that you obviously love. Can't you agree to differ and leave it a that? Or will you continue to call Tom a liar and a fraud because, shock horror etc, his opinion is not the same as yours.
    __________________
    "...people who personify and love corporations to the point where they can actually feel betrayed by them - well, roll over and take it. You're in for a lifetime of abusive imaginary relationships."

    (Blyth Jon, September 2011, PCGamer UK, p90)


    Steam id: feersum
    Reply With Quote
      #85   Report Post  
    Old 11-16-2012, 11:19 PM
    The_B The_B is offline
    Banned
     
    Join Date: Jun 2010
    Location: Being eaten by a Grue
    Posts: 1,283
    Default

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Don Megamuffin View Post
    I agree that fanboy is not a nice term to be thrown around, but in the situation, and if, which I'm sure you have, read the review it is quite clearly biased in terms of it being a review of the Hitman franchise and direction, rather than the actual new game itself. It's also quite clear that when minor trip ups, like the throwing explosives one, are published, that the reviewer himself is not as well informed on the product that he is reviewing as he maybe should be.
    I don't think anyone has called Tom a Hitman fanboy here have they? Even if they have that wasn't what I was referring to as such - more posters calling other posters fanboys in this thread.

    Last edited by The_B; 11-16-2012 at 11:21 PM.
    Reply With Quote
      #86   Report Post  
    Old 11-16-2012, 11:20 PM
    Don Megamuffin Don Megamuffin is offline
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: Jun 2011
    Posts: 11
    Default

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Klatu View Post
    So when Half Life 3 eventually turns up the reviewer shouldn't compare/contrast it to HL 1 or HL 2 Ep?

    Hitman is also a long running (and well loved) franchise. Tom is a great fan of the franchise and he was disappointed by the direction that the latest iteration took.

    He also stated that even though as a 'Hitman' game it was below par, as a generic stealth murder game it was fine, it seems to me that you are protesting too much about one mans opinion about a game that you obviously love. Can't you agree to differ and leave it a that? Or will you continue to call Tom a liar and a fraud because, shock horror etc, his opinion is not the same as yours.
    His opinion isn't what has bothered me so much, I honestly cannot understand why a reviewer would state that a gameplay feature that is highly relevant to many of the people who will be playing the game, and many people buying the game will expect the feature to be in the game, does not exist within it, the only reason I see for that mistake is that the reviewer in question to be uninformed about the product he is reviewing, I may just be being pedantic, but I don't think it's acceptable in any case for a reviewer, who his being paid for the job he/she is doing to provide the many people who will read the publication with misinformation. Maybe it's just me who actually likes reviews to be thorough and well done though.....

    And I'm not saying the game should not be compared and contrasted, the whole review shouldn't be hung up on nostalgia and ultimately end up in the reviewing of a franchise, the actual game itself should be at the forefront of the reviewers mind, and in the published article, it quite clearly wasn't. As very little about the gameplay itself was mentioned, and when it was mentioned part of it was actually completely wrong.

    Last edited by Don Megamuffin; 11-16-2012 at 11:25 PM.
    Reply With Quote
      #87   Report Post  
    Old 11-16-2012, 11:27 PM
    Don Megamuffin Don Megamuffin is offline
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: Jun 2011
    Posts: 11
    Default

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Klatu View Post
    Or will you continue to call Tom a liar and a fraud because, shock horror etc, his opinion is not the same as yours.
    The part that I'm bothered about is not an opinion, it's a fact
    Reply With Quote
      #88   Report Post  
    Old 11-17-2012, 12:08 AM
    Klatu Klatu is offline
    Senior Member
     
    Join Date: Jun 2010
    Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts: 1,042
    Default

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Don Megamuffin View Post
    And I'm not saying the game should not be compared and contrasted, the whole review shouldn't be hung up on nostalgia and ultimately end up in the reviewing of a franchise, the actual game itself should be at the forefront of the reviewers mind, and in the published article, it quite clearly wasn't. As very little about the gameplay itself was mentioned, and when it was mentioned part of it was actually completely wrong.
    In my opinion the first thing I want to hear from a Hitman or Deus Ex or Thief or even Splinter Cell review is - is this iteration true to itself. Is it it still a stealth em up, or does it have multiple ways to complete a missions or even does it still feel like the game franchise we all now from yore.

    So for me Tom's review is spot on, 'is it a Hitman game' = no. Is it still a decent game in of the type = yes.

    I'll still end up buying it in a future sale at some point but to be honest I have enough games to tide me over till then.
    __________________
    "...people who personify and love corporations to the point where they can actually feel betrayed by them - well, roll over and take it. You're in for a lifetime of abusive imaginary relationships."

    (Blyth Jon, September 2011, PCGamer UK, p90)


    Steam id: feersum
    Reply With Quote
      #89   Report Post  
    Old 11-17-2012, 09:59 AM
    Don Megamuffin Don Megamuffin is offline
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: Jun 2011
    Posts: 11
    Default

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Klatu View Post
    In my opinion the first thing I want to hear from a Hitman or Deus Ex or Thief or even Splinter Cell review is - is this iteration true to itself. Is it it still a stealth em up, or does it have multiple ways to complete a missions or even does it still feel like the game franchise we all now from yore.

    So for me Tom's review is spot on, 'is it a Hitman game' = no. Is it still a decent game in of the type = yes.

    I'll still end up buying it in a future sale at some point but to be honest I have enough games to tide me over till then.
    Well maybe the review should have been 2 pages longer, so rather than just reviewing the heritage and the hitman franchise, he could have actually mentioned and reviewed some of the gameplay as well.
    Reply With Quote
      #90   Report Post  
    Old 11-17-2012, 02:17 PM
    LE5LO LE5LO is offline
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: Nov 2012
    Posts: 1
    Thumbs up

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Spatula View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by carlos25 View Post
    Had to login just to call you an absolute moron! LOL hate ladyboys who go around insulting people on the internet! so pathetic hahahahahahaha
    oh the ironing.
    Carlos, you're truly a hypocrite.

    Spatula, thankyou for the reminder that unless they're micro-fibre; our business shirts will not straighten themselves out.

    I believe the word you're looking for is irony, not ironing.

    Thankyou gentlemen. I'll be here all night.
    Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off

    Forum Jump