Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Games

#61   Report Post  
    Old 11-14-2012, 11:58 PM

OP, just shut up before you make yourself look even more idiotic.

Oh wait... much too late for that.. carry on then.
      #62   Report Post  
    Old 11-15-2012, 02:58 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tet5uo View Post
    OP, just shut up before you make yourself look even more idiotic.

Oh wait... much too late for that.. carry on then.
    Actually...regardless of your view point on Francis' review, the OP's post was well written and justified.

Comments like 'herpa derp idgut shaddap', make one look idiotic.
      #63   Report Post  
    Old 11-15-2012, 04:16 AM
    Grand Inquisitor

Send a message via Skype™ to SAeN

Quote:
    Originally Posted by prince_machiavelli View Post
    Actually...regardless of your view point on Francis' review, the OP's post was well written and justified.

Comments like 'herpa derp idgut shaddap', make one look idiotic.
    I think Tet5uo thought Milllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllls was OP. In which case I agree with him.
      #64   Report Post  
    Old 11-15-2012, 07:25 AM

This is a brilliant thread, though unfortunatley for all the wrong possible reasons [/Everett].

Few house keeping points; very few people on this thread have played the game. Even the OP sounds like he's only played the XBOX version (though as i was skimming the thread while trying not to spew tea, i may have missed a statement to the contrary).

Therefore the only person in this discussion qualified to speak on this issue is TF himself, and he did, in the review.

I read the review last night, and a number of issues stand out to me. I've not played the game either, but there are things, which if are indeed true (and i have absolutely no reason to expect otherwise, lying in a review would kill a mags reputation in days) seem like genuine issues that would bother a PC gamer.

The distinction here is 'PCGAMER'. Again, i may be wrong, but i get the impression that a lot of those rallying against the review are not, primarily, PCGAMERS. 'We're' a funny breed and expect a lot more from our games than our console brethren. Many of these are things that console players take for granted (checkpoints, small levels etc).

The review is therefore coming from the perspective of a PCGAMER.

Secondly, it is absolutely right to review this game in the context of a HITMAN game. Having read the review, I can see that the op clearly hasn't read the WHOLE review as TF states, clearly, that were it not a HITMAN game then it would be an above-average stealth murder sim.

It is however a HITMAN game and therefore should be reviewed in that context. From what it sounds like it is a poor Hitman game, therefore the score reflects that.

Finally, may i welcome the curiously high number of new posters to this very specific thread, and wish you all a very happy marketing campaign.

-------
    An irreverent look at gaming, and film; www.TheFunTurret.com
      #65   Report Post  
    Old 11-15-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Belimawr View Post
    but you miss the point a lot of sources will link the same review under all formats and the majority of the time the only version tested was the Xbox version, so these other sites may not of seen problems as they may not of even touched the PC version, several firms actually encourage reviewers to use Xbox version, for MW2 the reviewers were actually forced to attend a special review session at the developer HQ and only allowed access to an Xbox version of the game but supplied artwork with the different buttons for the other formats. so all the PS3 and PC version of MW2 that came out when the none disclosure was lifter were actually done on a 360 version, yet only a couple of places ever called them on it.

so these other reviewers have chance to have done one review for multiple formats so they never saw the problem, it's the same as a lot of sites didn't mention the problems with Skyrim on the PS3 until the actual players complained about them as most just reviewed the Xbox version and aplied it over all versions.

so really you should be praising the fact that this is actually a review of a PC copy and not just a generic review to cover every format most likely done on a console.
    Good point, I didn't know that. It makes sense though when places like that have very strict no camera policies, searching bags at door, because they don't want the truth to get out. I remember skyrim said the same thing but the marketing guy said he didn't want crap footage of the game, and they released the footage a day or two later.
    Activision are quite greedy, and I guess if a game will sell like hot cakes, they won't want anything to stop it.
      #66   Report Post  
    Old 11-15-2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Spatula View Post
    This is a brilliant thread, though unfortunatley for all the wrong possible reasons [/Everett].

Finally, may i welcome the curiously high number of new posters to this very specific thread, and wish you all a very happy marketing campaign.
    Most of your points were quite good. This one is ridiculous. I signed up specifically for PCGamer because I was on the verge of pre-ordering Hitman: Absolution and then read the review.

Further research led me here.

I was hoping there would be another review out there contradicting TF's review (which I thought was a bad review, although it did raise some issues that made me worried)

Unfortunately, there hasn't been one to surface, which makes me even more worried.

Conspiracy theories aho!
      #67   Report Post  
    Old 11-15-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Spatula View Post

Few house keeping points; very few people on this thread have played the game. Even the OP sounds like he's only played the XBOX version (though as i was skimming the thread while trying not to spew tea, i may have missed a statement to the contrary).

Therefore the only person in this discussion qualified to speak on this issue is TF himself, and he did, in the review.

I read the review last night, and a number of issues stand out to me. I've not played the game either, but there are things, which if are indeed true (and i have absolutely no reason to expect otherwise, lying in a review would kill a mags reputation in days) seem like genuine issues that would bother a PC gamer.

The distinction here is 'PCGAMER'. Again, i may be wrong, but i get the impression that a lot of those rallying against the review are not, primarily, PCGAMERS. 'We're' a funny breed and expect a lot more from our games than our console brethren. Many of these are things that console players take for granted (checkpoints, small levels etc).

The review is therefore coming from the perspective of a PCGAMER.

Secondly, it is absolutely right to review this game in the context of a HITMAN game. Having read the review, I can see that the op clearly hasn't read the WHOLE review as TF states, clearly, that were it not a HITMAN game then it would be an above-average stealth murder sim.

It is however a HITMAN game and therefore should be reviewed in that context. From what it sounds like it is a poor Hitman game, therefore the score reflects that.

You make some good points, it would indeed be a no no for any game magazine to undermine a game with false facts. Sadly however it may be the case with this review, for the PC version as was tested on. The facts the reviewer put fourth were not credible as the game was not played on harder settings (where the AI and overall game are different) yet regardless he complained the AI were too easy..
    All of the missions are now on youtube due to some early releases, thankfully for me as I pre ordered it, the videos conclude this reviewer was talking out of something other than their mouth.
    The small levels for instance that they mentioned, the levels or individual chapters are quite large compared to the last game, one mission actually has 2 missions connected without a custscene from a strip club to china town.
    And the storyline being crap, though a matter of personal opinion the dialog and voice acting with the cutscenes suggests otherwise, if the characters were wooden, then fair enough.
    With reviewing it in context with the last Hitman game, it's definitely a good idea, but forgetting the fact it's 6 years later with a new engine, and drawing back to only that game makes it seem biased, why not mention other games in the franchise, or other stealth games. I just hate badly written reviews. I read in another review the storyline sags in the middle, I believe this however because the review was much more extensive and unbiased.

Max Payne 3, it has wonderful animations and great dialog/characters mixed with a somewhat absorbing story. And the multiplayer was brutal and given more depth due to narration which is not really found in other games, it played fine on the PC. Yet this same person was a rogue and scored it 55.. Wonders never cease.

By the way I'm not a marketer lol (I'm studying game design) and don't think anyone else here is a marketer. It's a smart rhetoric, but I think people just don't want to be told a title they enjoy, that they've now pre ordered is a big waste of money, when really it turns out what the person has said makes them seem like..for lack of a better word, a liar.

But when it comes out we'll see, though I'm doubtful of this reviewer after seeing videos, if the person is correct I'll take my hat off to them and review it badly myself on Amazon.
      #68   Report Post  
    Old 11-15-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
    This one is ridiculous.
    That was what i like to call a joke.....

Quote:
    The facts the reviewer put fourth were not credible as the game was not played on harder settings
    TF mentions the different difficulty settings and the differences therin. this would seem to contradict that point.

Quote:
    The small levels for instance that they mentioned, the levels or individual chapters are quite large compared to the last game,
    and you're basing this off a you tube video? do you have the metrics for this?

Quote:
    And the storyline being crap, though a matter of personal opinion
    all reviews are a matter of personal opinion. welcome to the internets

Quote:
    With reviewing it in context with the last Hitman game, it's definitely a good idea, but forgetting the fact it's 6 years later with a new engine, and drawing back to only that game makes it seem biased, why not mention other games in the franchise

because hitman blood money was the best of the series

Quote:
    or other stealth games
    he does, where he mentions that were it not a hitman game that it'd be an above average stealth game.

Quote:
    I read in another review the storyline sags in the middle, I believe this however because the review was much more extensive and unbiased.
    or more likely because it matched you expectations of the game.

Quote:
    it played fine on the PC. Yet this same person was a rogue and scored it 55
    did you read the review for that? the case was clearly made for that score.

Quote:
    I think people just don't want to be told a title they enjoy, that they've now pre ordered is a big waste of money, when really it turns out what the person has said makes them seem like..for lack of a better word, a liar.
    you're correct, but not in the way you think. you're getting upset with the review because it doesn't back your impression of what you THINK it should say. you haven't played the PC version so you are basing your objections on nothing but your own feelings. as such, your argument has no merit.

Finally- a lot of the points you raised are actually covered in the review. did you actually read it, or just the excerpts that are doing the rounds on the net?

-------
    An irreverent look at gaming, and film; www.TheFunTurret.com
      #69   Report Post  
    Old 11-15-2012, 04:52 PM
    Banned

Quote:
    Originally Posted by prince_machiavelli View Post
    I was hoping there would be another review out there contradicting TF's review (which I thought was a bad review, although it did raise some issues that made me worried)

Unfortunately, there hasn't been one to surface, which makes me even more worried.
    As I said earlier, I believe there's an online embargo currently in effect stopping places from publishing their reviews online. So currently there's only print ones which themselves are only found through "unofficial" channels by people. (Which again is part of the reason I think having separate print and online embargoes in 2012 is a silly practice.)
      #70   Report Post  
    Old 11-15-2012, 04:55 PM

Almost makes you wonder why the big publishers don't want reviewers to be telling everyone about the, almost certainly, perfect game they just released.
    Makes you think they have something to hide!