Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Games

    Reply
     
    Thread Tools Display Modes
      #61   Report Post  
    Old 11-14-2012, 11:58 PM
    tet5uo tet5uo is offline
    Senior Member
     
    Join Date: Nov 2010
    Posts: 789
    Default

    OP, just shut up before you make yourself look even more idiotic.

    Oh wait... much too late for that.. carry on then.
    Reply With Quote
      #62   Report Post  
    Old 11-15-2012, 02:58 AM
    prince_machiavelli prince_machiavelli is offline
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: Nov 2012
    Posts: 4
    Default

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tet5uo View Post
    OP, just shut up before you make yourself look even more idiotic.

    Oh wait... much too late for that.. carry on then.
    Actually...regardless of your view point on Francis' review, the OP's post was well written and justified.

    Comments like 'herpa derp idgut shaddap', make one look idiotic.
    Reply With Quote
      #63   Report Post  
    Old 11-15-2012, 04:16 AM
    SAeN SAeN is offline
    Grand Inquisitor
     
    Join Date: Jun 2010
    Location: Dundee
    Posts: 2,957
    Send a message via Skype™ to SAeN
    Default

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by prince_machiavelli View Post
    Actually...regardless of your view point on Francis' review, the OP's post was well written and justified.

    Comments like 'herpa derp idgut shaddap', make one look idiotic.
    I think Tet5uo thought Milllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllls was OP. In which case I agree with him.
    Reply With Quote
      #64   Report Post  
    Old 11-15-2012, 07:25 AM
    Spatula Spatula is offline
    Senior Member
     
    Join Date: Jun 2010
    Posts: 2,916
    Default

    This is a brilliant thread, though unfortunatley for all the wrong possible reasons [/Everett].

    Few house keeping points; very few people on this thread have played the game. Even the OP sounds like he's only played the XBOX version (though as i was skimming the thread while trying not to spew tea, i may have missed a statement to the contrary).

    Therefore the only person in this discussion qualified to speak on this issue is TF himself, and he did, in the review.

    I read the review last night, and a number of issues stand out to me. I've not played the game either, but there are things, which if are indeed true (and i have absolutely no reason to expect otherwise, lying in a review would kill a mags reputation in days) seem like genuine issues that would bother a PC gamer.

    The distinction here is 'PCGAMER'. Again, i may be wrong, but i get the impression that a lot of those rallying against the review are not, primarily, PCGAMERS. 'We're' a funny breed and expect a lot more from our games than our console brethren. Many of these are things that console players take for granted (checkpoints, small levels etc).

    The review is therefore coming from the perspective of a PCGAMER.

    Secondly, it is absolutely right to review this game in the context of a HITMAN game. Having read the review, I can see that the op clearly hasn't read the WHOLE review as TF states, clearly, that were it not a HITMAN game then it would be an above-average stealth murder sim.

    It is however a HITMAN game and therefore should be reviewed in that context. From what it sounds like it is a poor Hitman game, therefore the score reflects that.

    Finally, may i welcome the curiously high number of new posters to this very specific thread, and wish you all a very happy marketing campaign.
    __________________
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------


    -------
    An irreverent look at gaming, and film; www.TheFunTurret.com
    Reply With Quote
      #65   Report Post  
    Old 11-15-2012, 10:13 AM
    Derangedxzombie Derangedxzombie is offline
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: Nov 2012
    Posts: 8
    Default

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Belimawr View Post
    but you miss the point a lot of sources will link the same review under all formats and the majority of the time the only version tested was the Xbox version, so these other sites may not of seen problems as they may not of even touched the PC version, several firms actually encourage reviewers to use Xbox version, for MW2 the reviewers were actually forced to attend a special review session at the developer HQ and only allowed access to an Xbox version of the game but supplied artwork with the different buttons for the other formats. so all the PS3 and PC version of MW2 that came out when the none disclosure was lifter were actually done on a 360 version, yet only a couple of places ever called them on it.

    so these other reviewers have chance to have done one review for multiple formats so they never saw the problem, it's the same as a lot of sites didn't mention the problems with Skyrim on the PS3 until the actual players complained about them as most just reviewed the Xbox version and aplied it over all versions.

    so really you should be praising the fact that this is actually a review of a PC copy and not just a generic review to cover every format most likely done on a console.
    Good point, I didn't know that. It makes sense though when places like that have very strict no camera policies, searching bags at door, because they don't want the truth to get out. I remember skyrim said the same thing but the marketing guy said he didn't want crap footage of the game, and they released the footage a day or two later.
    Activision are quite greedy, and I guess if a game will sell like hot cakes, they won't want anything to stop it.
    Reply With Quote
      #66   Report Post  
    Old 11-15-2012, 10:32 AM
    prince_machiavelli prince_machiavelli is offline
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: Nov 2012
    Posts: 4
    Default

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Spatula View Post
    This is a brilliant thread, though unfortunatley for all the wrong possible reasons [/Everett].


    Finally, may i welcome the curiously high number of new posters to this very specific thread, and wish you all a very happy marketing campaign.
    Most of your points were quite good. This one is ridiculous. I signed up specifically for PCGamer because I was on the verge of pre-ordering Hitman: Absolution and then read the review.

    Further research led me here.

    I was hoping there would be another review out there contradicting TF's review (which I thought was a bad review, although it did raise some issues that made me worried)

    Unfortunately, there hasn't been one to surface, which makes me even more worried.

    Conspiracy theories aho!
    Reply With Quote
      #67   Report Post  
    Old 11-15-2012, 10:42 AM
    Derangedxzombie Derangedxzombie is offline
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: Nov 2012
    Posts: 8
    Default

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Spatula View Post
    This is a brilliant thread, though unfortunatley for all the wrong possible reasons [/Everett].

    Few house keeping points; very few people on this thread have played the game. Even the OP sounds like he's only played the XBOX version (though as i was skimming the thread while trying not to spew tea, i may have missed a statement to the contrary).

    Therefore the only person in this discussion qualified to speak on this issue is TF himself, and he did, in the review.

    I read the review last night, and a number of issues stand out to me. I've not played the game either, but there are things, which if are indeed true (and i have absolutely no reason to expect otherwise, lying in a review would kill a mags reputation in days) seem like genuine issues that would bother a PC gamer.

    The distinction here is 'PCGAMER'. Again, i may be wrong, but i get the impression that a lot of those rallying against the review are not, primarily, PCGAMERS. 'We're' a funny breed and expect a lot more from our games than our console brethren. Many of these are things that console players take for granted (checkpoints, small levels etc).

    The review is therefore coming from the perspective of a PCGAMER.

    Secondly, it is absolutely right to review this game in the context of a HITMAN game. Having read the review, I can see that the op clearly hasn't read the WHOLE review as TF states, clearly, that were it not a HITMAN game then it would be an above-average stealth murder sim.

    It is however a HITMAN game and therefore should be reviewed in that context. From what it sounds like it is a poor Hitman game, therefore the score reflects that.

    Finally, may i welcome the curiously high number of new posters to this very specific thread, and wish you all a very happy marketing campaign.
    You make some good points, it would indeed be a no no for any game magazine to undermine a game with false facts. Sadly however it may be the case with this review, for the PC version as was tested on. The facts the reviewer put fourth were not credible as the game was not played on harder settings (where the AI and overall game are different) yet regardless he complained the AI were too easy..
    All of the missions are now on youtube due to some early releases, thankfully for me as I pre ordered it, the videos conclude this reviewer was talking out of something other than their mouth.
    The small levels for instance that they mentioned, the levels or individual chapters are quite large compared to the last game, one mission actually has 2 missions connected without a custscene from a strip club to china town.
    And the storyline being crap, though a matter of personal opinion the dialog and voice acting with the cutscenes suggests otherwise, if the characters were wooden, then fair enough.
    With reviewing it in context with the last Hitman game, it's definitely a good idea, but forgetting the fact it's 6 years later with a new engine, and drawing back to only that game makes it seem biased, why not mention other games in the franchise, or other stealth games. I just hate badly written reviews. I read in another review the storyline sags in the middle, I believe this however because the review was much more extensive and unbiased.

    Max Payne 3, it has wonderful animations and great dialog/characters mixed with a somewhat absorbing story. And the multiplayer was brutal and given more depth due to narration which is not really found in other games, it played fine on the PC. Yet this same person was a rogue and scored it 55.. Wonders never cease.

    By the way I'm not a marketer lol (I'm studying game design) and don't think anyone else here is a marketer. It's a smart rhetoric, but I think people just don't want to be told a title they enjoy, that they've now pre ordered is a big waste of money, when really it turns out what the person has said makes them seem like..for lack of a better word, a liar.

    But when it comes out we'll see, though I'm doubtful of this reviewer after seeing videos, if the person is correct I'll take my hat off to them and review it badly myself on Amazon.
    Reply With Quote
      #68   Report Post  
    Old 11-15-2012, 12:23 PM
    Spatula Spatula is offline
    Senior Member
     
    Join Date: Jun 2010
    Posts: 2,916
    Default

    Quote:
    This one is ridiculous.
    That was what i like to call a joke.....

    Quote:
    The facts the reviewer put fourth were not credible as the game was not played on harder settings
    TF mentions the different difficulty settings and the differences therin. this would seem to contradict that point.

    Quote:
    The small levels for instance that they mentioned, the levels or individual chapters are quite large compared to the last game,
    and you're basing this off a you tube video? do you have the metrics for this?

    Quote:
    And the storyline being crap, though a matter of personal opinion
    all reviews are a matter of personal opinion. welcome to the internets

    Quote:
    With reviewing it in context with the last Hitman game, it's definitely a good idea, but forgetting the fact it's 6 years later with a new engine, and drawing back to only that game makes it seem biased, why not mention other games in the franchise
    .

    because hitman blood money was the best of the series

    Quote:
    or other stealth games
    he does, where he mentions that were it not a hitman game that it'd be an above average stealth game.

    Quote:
    I read in another review the storyline sags in the middle, I believe this however because the review was much more extensive and unbiased.
    or more likely because it matched you expectations of the game.

    Quote:
    it played fine on the PC. Yet this same person was a rogue and scored it 55
    did you read the review for that? the case was clearly made for that score.

    Quote:
    I think people just don't want to be told a title they enjoy, that they've now pre ordered is a big waste of money, when really it turns out what the person has said makes them seem like..for lack of a better word, a liar.
    you're correct, but not in the way you think. you're getting upset with the review because it doesn't back your impression of what you THINK it should say. you haven't played the PC version so you are basing your objections on nothing but your own feelings. as such, your argument has no merit.

    Finally- a lot of the points you raised are actually covered in the review. did you actually read it, or just the excerpts that are doing the rounds on the net?
    __________________
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------


    -------
    An irreverent look at gaming, and film; www.TheFunTurret.com
    Reply With Quote
      #69   Report Post  
    Old 11-15-2012, 04:52 PM
    The_B The_B is offline
    Banned
     
    Join Date: Jun 2010
    Location: Being eaten by a Grue
    Posts: 1,283
    Default

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by prince_machiavelli View Post
    I was hoping there would be another review out there contradicting TF's review (which I thought was a bad review, although it did raise some issues that made me worried)

    Unfortunately, there hasn't been one to surface, which makes me even more worried.
    As I said earlier, I believe there's an online embargo currently in effect stopping places from publishing their reviews online. So currently there's only print ones which themselves are only found through "unofficial" channels by people. (Which again is part of the reason I think having separate print and online embargoes in 2012 is a silly practice.)
    Reply With Quote
      #70   Report Post  
    Old 11-15-2012, 04:55 PM
    JackRabbit JackRabbit is offline
    Senior Member
     
    Join Date: Jun 2010
    Posts: 3,566
    Default

    Almost makes you wonder why the big publishers don't want reviewers to be telling everyone about the, almost certainly, perfect game they just released.
    Makes you think they have something to hide!
    Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off

    Forum Jump