Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Games

    Reply
     
    Thread Tools Display Modes
      #51   Report Post  
    Old 11-14-2012, 01:18 PM
    Belimawr Belimawr is offline
    Senior Member
     
    Join Date: Jun 2010
    Posts: 14,598
    Default

    Quote:
    The game sounds like it may have some PC issues depending on what machine it is run on, and not all machines as it has worked fine on others (I can play morrowind on my integrated netbook but not some PS1 games) As everyone knows the pc is a harder platform to cater for as everyone will run different hardware roughly whereas a console has locked specs. But doesn't mean the pc deserves any less attention, and as the games developer has proven it cares about its product and pays attention to it's fans, therefore it's reasonable to assume pc problems will be patched eventually, especially as the game hasn't launched yet.
    but you miss the point a lot of sources will link the same review under all formats and the majority of the time the only version tested was the Xbox version, so these other sites may not of seen problems as they may not of even touched the PC version, several firms actually encourage reviewers to use Xbox version, for MW2 the reviewers were actually forced to attend a special review session at the developer HQ and only allowed access to an Xbox version of the game but supplied artwork with the different buttons for the other formats. so all the PS3 and PC version of MW2 that came out when the none disclosure was lifter were actually done on a 360 version, yet only a couple of places ever called them on it.

    so these other reviewers have chance to have done one review for multiple formats so they never saw the problem, it's the same as a lot of sites didn't mention the problems with Skyrim on the PS3 until the actual players complained about them as most just reviewed the Xbox version and aplied it over all versions.

    so really you should be praising the fact that this is actually a review of a PC copy and not just a generic review to cover every format most likely done on a console.
    Reply With Quote
      #52   Report Post  
    Old 11-14-2012, 01:51 PM
    The_B The_B is offline
    Banned
     
    Join Date: Jun 2010
    Location: Being eaten by a Grue
    Posts: 1,283
    Default

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Millllls View Post
    and this little finisher you put down:
    'This is just a case of you once again not reading the text properly: He says "I've played it on three machines, and on two that run Skyrim smoothly...'

    you realise it's actually a case of YOU not reading the text fully..
    the magazine says:

    'i've played it on three machines, and two that run skyrim smoothly, it's almost unplayably sluggish: fifteen frames per second even on minimal graphics settings, with occasional freezes of a second or more, and level load times are over a minute'

    which brings me back to my point: how can a reviewer effectively review a game running at 15 fps with occasional freezing?
    Did you miss the bit I bolded? I didn't include the rest because I assumed you could figure out the rest of the sentence itself. The important part is the on two bit. That 'on' is important, along with that colon in the very bit you've quoted back at me about the fifteen frames per second bit, because it means he's referring to the two machines referred to as running Skyrim smoothly and not the third of the three computers he said he played it on in the first sentence.

    But hey, if you want to accuse me of not reading properly, go nuts.
    Reply With Quote
      #53   Report Post  
    Old 11-14-2012, 02:47 PM
    Millllls Millllls is offline
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: Aug 2010
    Posts: 10
    Default

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by The_B View Post
    Did you miss the bit I bolded? I didn't include the rest because I assumed you could figure out the rest of the sentence itself. The important part is the on two bit. That 'on' is important, along with that colon in the very bit you've quoted back at me about the fifteen frames per second bit, because it means he's referring to the two machines referred to as running Skyrim smoothly and not the third of the three computers he said he played it on in the first sentence.

    But hey, if you want to accuse me of not reading properly, go nuts.
    so he's knocking the game for being more demanding than skyrim.. this review is simply ridiculous...
    new pc review hit the web today... 9.6.. go figure..
    Reply With Quote
      #54   Report Post  
    Old 11-14-2012, 03:12 PM
    Daniel Daniel is offline
    Senior Member
     
    Join Date: Aug 2010
    Location: People's Repuplic of Treacle Mine Road
    Posts: 3,962
    Default

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Millllls View Post
    so he's knocking the game for being more demanding than skyrim.. this review is simply ridiculous...
    new pc review hit the web today... 9.6.. go figure..
    ARRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHH!

    You read it wrong and are now spewing out more nonsensical gibberish instead of admitting it

    He is knocking it because it ran bad on low settings when it should of run fine. End of.

    You can dislike the review and you can criticize it but your criticisms are not carrying much weight since you are making a poor arguments in your favor.

    Someone gave it 9.6 so you can die happy now.


    Edit: I am not threatening you with death
    __________________
    “There has seldom if ever been a shortage of eager young males prepared to kill and die to preserve the security, comfort and prejudices of their elders, and what you call heroism is just an expression of this simple fact; there is never a scarcity of idiots.” - Ian Banks
    Reply With Quote
      #55   Report Post  
    Old 11-14-2012, 03:29 PM
    Millllls Millllls is offline
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: Aug 2010
    Posts: 10
    Default

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    ARRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHH!

    You read it wrong and are now spewing out more nonsensical gibberish instead of admitting it

    He is knocking it because it ran bad on low settings when it should of run fine. End of.

    You can dislike the review and you can criticize it but your criticisms are not carrying much weight since you are making a poor arguments in your favor.

    Someone gave it 9.6 so you can die happy now.


    Edit: I am not threatening you with death
    lol no, you say I'm making poor arguments in my favour because I don't agree with you, and you're pretty much going to say that in either case.
    Whatever we could possibly argue about, you'd say I was making 'poor arguments', we don't agree, you say I'm stupid, I say you're stupid.. that's what an argument is..
    I've played the game, it's great, there are numerous inconsistencies with what Tom says and what is fact, he's knocked the game purely because it isn't blood money, he has not been even remotely objective, he's a fucking idiot.
    I don't agree with you TF fanboys, never will.. stop trying so hard..

    Edit: as for the performance thing, my point stands either way.. he's complaining because the game doesn't run well on a system that can't handle it.. a moot point if ever i saw one..
    I bet you the 3rd PC he tried on was actually a good one.. thus, no point even mentioning shitty performance on shitty pc's.. My old laptop can run skyrim, but its a shit computer that obviously won't run Hitman..

    Last edited by Millllls; 11-14-2012 at 03:32 PM.
    Reply With Quote
      #56   Report Post  
    Old 11-14-2012, 03:31 PM
    doctor_roxo doctor_roxo is offline
    Senior Member
     
    Join Date: Feb 2012
    Location: Roll Tide
    Posts: 1,210
    Default

    so how is the TC even playing the game yet since it hasn't released? i haven't read the entire thread so i maybe speaking out of ignorance here, but is this review based off of a pirated copy of the game?
    __________________
    I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER"
    -Groucho Marx

    Looking 4 Indie bundles? http://steamcommunity.com/groups/IndieBundleTracker
    Reply With Quote
      #57   Report Post  
    Old 11-14-2012, 03:39 PM
    Belimawr Belimawr is offline
    Senior Member
     
    Join Date: Jun 2010
    Posts: 14,598
    Default

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doctor_roxo View Post
    so how is the TC even playing the game yet since it hasn't released? i haven't read the entire thread so i maybe speaking out of ignorance here, but is this review based off of a pirated copy of the game?
    in a lot of cases firms send out early copies to be reviewed, some firms to stop early reviews slating the game have stopped this and either stopped firms having review copies early or stopped them publishing. so it's most likely they released it early to reviewers and allowed early reviews to build hype for the game. it's not uncommon for a review copies to ship up to a month before release to try to make sure they go into print before release.

    but more firms are going the activision route and locking people out of the games till the day they come out or stopping the reviews being published until after release, as it ensures the people who like the franchise will buy anyway as there will be no review before they chance to buy the game, the locked copies till launch day make this even better at this as the reviewers can't even start doing the review until launch day so it gives a 2 or 3 day windows to get sales from hype before anyone can really state it's a pile.
    Reply With Quote
      #58   Report Post  
    Old 11-14-2012, 03:53 PM
    Dylanger Dylanger is offline
    Senior Member
     
    Join Date: Aug 2010
    Location: Essex.
    Posts: 466
    Default

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Belimawr View Post
    but more firms are going the activision route and locking people out of the games till the day they come out or stopping the reviews being published until after release, as it ensures the people who like the franchise will buy anyway as there will be no review before they chance to buy the game, the locked copies till launch day make this even better at this as the reviewers can't even start doing the review until launch day so it gives a 2 or 3 day windows to get sales from hype before anyone can really state it's a pile.
    In other words a disgusting, underhand practice.

    Should we expect anymore from the game publishers of today? Not really. Hell you can go outside your front door and the regular joe public will want to fuck you over, for less.

    Sign of the times. And a shit one at that.

    God bless humanity! (And shitty business models..)
    Reply With Quote
      #59   Report Post  
    Old 11-14-2012, 04:16 PM
    The_B The_B is offline
    Banned
     
    Join Date: Jun 2010
    Location: Being eaten by a Grue
    Posts: 1,283
    Default

    I wouldn't say it's entirely underhand - most of the games (at least in my experience) that reviewers are locked out until release day have been multiplayer ones - which in some respects has some merit, as it's difficult to review a multiplayer game without the other players, although there are exceptions such as Diablo 3 (but given how Blizz/Act seemed to try so hard to make it a multiplayer game with the online activations etc gives you some idea why they probably did this.)

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doctor_roxo View Post
    so how is the TC even playing the game yet since it hasn't released? i haven't read the entire thread so i maybe speaking out of ignorance here, but is this review based off of a pirated copy of the game?

    As has been said usually a publisher will send -or more commonly these days via download - the "gold" version of the code, ie the one that makes it onto the discs that go to the shops (which have to be ready at least a month before it goes on sale for logistical reasons of delivering the physical product) - this was of course handy for print publications as they too have to be done somewhat in advance so they used to tie up with roughly when the magazine would go on sale.

    These days with a lot of people getting their information on the internet it's becoming more common is called an embargo where the publisher sends out the review code but asks that no reviews are published before a set date. Again, in some respects this is handy for the publisher so they can direct their marketing efforts to some degree but also yes, has the knock on effect of everyone releasing their review at the same time and folks becoming bombarded with reviews. There's also the issue of day one patches which can mean that the review code isn't even the one that ends up in players hands (a lot of Medal of Honor Warfighter reviews online were delayed for this very reason.)

    Some games will have a seperate date for the print embargos and the online one. Frankly, I think this is incredibly silly -just look at the hoo-hah that explodes around a printed reviews such as this. Anyway, I don't know for certain but I don't think the online review embargo has lifted yet hence official online reviews not yet showing up including Tom's here on PCG.com (I'm going based on the fact I can't find online reviews yet from any of the big name sites or Metacritic)

    For the record, personally it's not a practice I'm fond of myself - even though I appreciate some of the reasons behind it.

    Last edited by The_B; 11-14-2012 at 04:19 PM.
    Reply With Quote
      #60   Report Post  
    Old 11-14-2012, 09:42 PM
    prince_machiavelli prince_machiavelli is offline
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: Nov 2012
    Posts: 4
    Default

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Millllls View Post
    so he's knocking the game for being more demanding than skyrim.. this review is simply ridiculous...
    new pc review hit the web today... 9.6.. go figure..
    Can you provide a link?
    Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off

    Forum Jump