Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Games

#1   Report Post  
    Old 02-24-2013, 05:19 AM

Default League of Legends - Anyone Who Hasn't Played, Should

Hello everyone. I wanted to share with you today a game I have been playing for a long time now. A game that I find to be, currently, the best PC game for competitive online play. That game is League of Legends. I wanted to take the time today to invite any and all who haven't tried it to do so.

What Is League of Legends
    League of Legends is a free to play game of 5v5 online competitive matchmaking. The goal is to be the first team to kill the enemies "nexus" inside of their base. This will first require your team to push past several of the enemy teams defensive's. Along the way you have to build gold by killing smaller minions that roam the "lanes" and the "jungle". The more minions you kill, the higher your gold, the more items you can buy, the stronger you get. Pretty simple concept, right? Add in the fact that there are 5 people on the enemy team trying to do the same thing and it starts getting a little trickier. Toss in the "fog of war" effect (creates areas of the map that you can not see unless you have a teamate in the vacinity or a "ward" to help grant you vision) and things just became very interesting. All in all, the game is simple to play and hard to master.

How Can I Play?
    By visiting this link, [URL="http://signup.leagueoflegends.com/?ref=4ff121a6d59f5340417431"]http://signup.leagueoflegends.com[/URL], you can create your free account today and start playing. It is simple and free. As a matter of fact, you NEVER have to pay a dime to play this game. From account creation, everything is free. However, that is not to say that there are not ways you can spend money. XP boosts, IP boosts, Skins, Champions, etc can all be purchased with real life money, although you never have to. You can acquire everything in the game except for skins (purely cosmetic) without paying a dime. You may ask, so is this game pay to win? Not in the least bit. Nothing you can buy for money actually gives an in game advantage. Again, the game is super simple and yet hard to master. I strongly urge anyone interested in the game who has not already played to try it out today.
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 02-24-2013, 06:26 AM
    Banned

I may give it another bash today if I fail to get into Gothic 4. In desperate need of a game to sink my teeth into.
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 02-24-2013, 09:12 AM

Good to hear, always hopeful for new players in the community.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 02-24-2013, 09:22 AM

I have tried it but since my only game ever consisted of people telling me to 'get cancer and die' because I wasn't very good at a video game I don't think I will be going back ever. I will stick to Smite, more casual friendly though you do still get a few that like to throw insults.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 02-24-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cartoon Head View Post
    I may give it another bash today if I fail to get into Gothic 4. In desperate need of a game to sink my teeth into.
    Don't be fooled by the intentionally hidden referral link
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 02-24-2013, 10:11 AM

Default re: LoL - Anyone Who Hasn't Played, Should

Play Dota2

Simple Reason:
    LoL and Dota have roughly the same number of champions, but LoL only offers 10 free at a time and asks $5 to $10 for new ones

Holy Cow - Warren Spector
    Life is too fucking short to hear or play Freebird - Isaac Brock
    I hope I see you later, where everybody's okay - Randy Brewer
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 02-24-2013, 10:46 AM

Yeah, I agree with DuddBudda. Dota/Dota2 is simply the better game. Less nobbers playing it as well from what I have seen as well.
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 02-24-2013, 10:57 AM

Some day I will play a MOBA. They just looks so dam complicated.
    “There has seldom if ever been a shortage of eager young males prepared to kill and die to preserve the security, comfort and prejudices of their elders, and what you call heroism is just an expression of this simple fact; there is never a scarcity of idiots.” - Ian Banks
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 02-24-2013, 12:01 PM
    Banned

I tried Dota2 but for the life of me couldn't figure out a tutorial so unistalled it. After getting into ARPGs recently, and playing MMO's for years it feels like natural progression now I am more accustom to mouse pointy games. They all seems so daunting though.
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 02-24-2013, 12:13 PM

the in-game tutorial is the last piece of Valve intend to add before the game goes gold (it's till beta atm - they recently added a guides function in-game, but it's rudimentary atm and the good guides haven't been sorted from the bad)

otherwise there are reams of tutorials online

I suggest starting with [URL="http://www.purgegamers.com/welcome-to-dota-you-suck"]Purge[/URL], he's not the best Dota player in the world, but he discusses the game in lucid detail

You can also ask someone to show you the ropes

Holy Cow - Warren Spector
    Life is too fucking short to hear or play Freebird - Isaac Brock
    I hope I see you later, where everybody's okay - Randy Brewer