Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Off topic

View Poll Results: How would you reform the House of Lords, if at all?
    Keep it as it is. 2 13.33%
    Population Based Popular Vote 1 6.67%
    Area/Region Based 0 0%
    Devolution Based (US Senate style) 0 0%
    Civil Servant Based (French Senate style) 0 0%
    Industry / Business Based (Bavarian Senate style) 2 13.33%
    Religion Based 2 13.33%
    Direct Democracy 1 6.67%
    Other Reforms (state in reply) 2 13.33%
    Completely Abolish It & Don't Replace It 5 33.33%
    Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

#1   Report Post  
    Old 11-11-2012, 02:28 AM

Default UK House of Lords Reform

The House of Lords is the upper house of the Parliament of the United Kingdom. Unlike the House of Commons, which is directly elected by the people, members of the House of Lords are chosen through a system of peerage.

Some argue that the House of Lords is outdated and that the House of Lords needs to be reformed. Another possible problem is that the House of Lords has significantly lost much of it's power over the past 100+ years and it's decisions can be overridden by the House of Commons. What reforms, if any, would you propose to change the House of Lords?

Here are some explanations for the options I included in the poll:
    Keep it as it is.
    This would keep the House of Lords exactly as it is.

Population Based Popular Vote
    Lords would be elected through a popular vote. Much like MPs, lords would be represent constituencies based on population.

Area/Region Based
    Lords would represent pre-determined areas, regardless of population. For instance, each county (or county-equivelant) would have a Lord that represents the county.

Devolution Based
    Each of the devolved countries (England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, and Wales) would receive a per-determined equal number of lords (say, five for each country; twenty total). These twenty Lords would represent the interests of the constituent countries and their respective governments. This would be similar to how many federations operate their upper houses, including the United States.

Civil Servant Based
    Direct elections would be held to elect lords, however the only people who can vote in this election are people who work for the government (police officers, teachers, firefighters, NHS personnel, etc.). This would be similar to how France operates it's upper house; as well as how the former Kingdom of Laos held it's parliamentary elections in 1965

Industry / Business Based
    Lords would not be directly elected, instead they would represent the interests of various social, economic, professional, local, and other such groups. This would be similar to how the Slovenian National Council and the former Bavarian Senate operated.

Religion Based
    Lords will be religious officials and represent their religion and/or church/mosque/etc.

Direct Democracy
    Instead of having an upper house in the traditional sense, the House of Lords would be replaced with a system of direct democracy. Every British citizen would act as a lord and can vote on bills proposed by the House of Commons and possibly even propose legislature themselves, if enough people support it. However, the House of Commons will continue to exist to prevent mob rule and the many problems that could occur in a pure direct democracy. This can be created through a number of means, from citizens voting through the internet or merely going to their polling station to vote on bills (similar to a referendum).

Other Reforms
    This is entirely up to you, please post your ideas here.

Completely Abolish It & Don't Replace It
    This would effectively turn the United Kingdom into a unicameral country and completely abolish bicameralism.
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 11-11-2012, 01:16 PM

Keep it or scrap it entirely. The checking for sanity purpose is done pretty well by it, although it isn't necessary. Reforms would be expensive and a waste of time.
    Gelid tranquillo rev 2
    8gb corsair vengenceLP
    xfx core 7850 2gb
    Asus zonar DG
    550w xfx pro
    antec three hundred
    Some crappy dvd drive and a collection of hard drives
    21.5 inch BenQ 1080p screen

Laptop
    Hp pavilion g6 with:
    A4-3300 apu with HD6370 gpu
    4 gb of ddr3 ram
    640gb hdd
    Some other crap

HTC one X uk/euro
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 11-11-2012, 01:35 PM

yep it's a waste a space and just another remnant left over from when the monarchy ran the country.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 11-11-2012, 05:28 PM
    Banned

Scrap it entirely since it's completely undemocratic and I dislike those poncy tossers.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 11-11-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheXand View Post
    Scrap it entirely since it's completely undemocratic and I dislike those poncy tossers.
    Those poncy tossers? The poncy tossers are in the green seats. At least many peers in the House of Lords are people have done a great deal and have been successful doing so and the politicians in the HoL are those who have lead distinguished careers. Although I will admit there are far too many labour peers :P

*Took 6 attempts to write this, the fifth and sixth attempts were database errors on the edits, oh the irony. Are they even trying to fix the database errors anymore?
    MSI Z77A-GD55
    VTX3D 7870 Tahiti LE
    8GB Crucial Ballistix 1600Mhz
    Kingston HyperX 120GB SSD
    Western Digital SATAIII 1TB x2
    Corsair GS700w

My Blog

My Steam

Last edited by Orkgutz; 11-11-2012 at 06:05 PM.
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 11-12-2012, 08:16 AM

Whilst imperfect the Lords does serve a purpose as a second look at decisions. The pro abolition lobbby is generally those who have just had a decision overturned by said Lords.
    Reform would indeed be costly so I say continue and monitor foro ways to improve in the future.
    Om - Thats a funny thing, winners never talk of Glorious Victories. That's because they're the ones who see what the battlefield looks like afterward. It's only the losers who have Glorious Victories.

T Pratchett, Small Gods.
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 11-12-2012, 10:09 AM

keep it. the majority of them are people with 'real jobs', they serve as a check for the rampant politicians. It's not perfect, but the oversite is useful.

that and pie.

-------
    An irreverent look at gaming, and film; www.TheFunTurret.com
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 11-12-2012, 10:39 PM

Reform is definitely needed. Hereditry peers should be ousted, as should "nominated" political peers, and jesus fuck christ they should not be selected by "democratic" vote.
    Whilst it still would not be perfect, the upper chambers should be selected from people who are actually outstanding in their fields. People like Alan Sugar, Richard Dawkins, Rowan Williams, Terry Pratchett (well, maybe not. Although, even with Alzheimers, he would still be better than a lot of the useless fucks that have a peerage!) Basically a meritocratic upper chamber. People who actually know what they are talking about.

Edit:
    By meritocratic I don't mean managing to be head of the Bank of England for X amount of years. Any fuckwit could do that. I mean actually achieve something, discover the grand unified equation, make Comet a viable buisness, manage to match blue and green, take a school from lincolnshire and educate its students to walk upright and master fire.

Last edited by JackRabbit; 11-12-2012 at 10:45 PM.
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 11-13-2012, 07:27 AM

Quote:
    take a school from lincolnshire and educate its students to walk upright and master fire.
    I lol'd ...../10char

-------
    An irreverent look at gaming, and film; www.TheFunTurret.com
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 11-13-2012, 08:57 AM

Having been to Sleaford and Bourne I can only x20 the above comments. I blame the number of RAF Stations in the area.
    Om - Thats a funny thing, winners never talk of Glorious Victories. That's because they're the ones who see what the battlefield looks like afterward. It's only the losers who have Glorious Victories.

T Pratchett, Small Gods.

Tags

british politics