Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Off topic

#21   Report Post  
    Old 11-11-2012, 09:40 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jon_hill987 View Post
    The trouble with that is if they see a younger chap driving it alone they assume it was stolen and pull you over.
    I never had trouble with my S40, got pulled over once and that was a cop in a fiesta warning me there was a car clocking people just over the hill, was doing 40 in a 30 zone and got stopped to be warned about a speed camera really can't complain lol.

you tend to find they are more likely to assume it is a parents car and leave you alone as you are less likely to thrash your parents car about, it's why cars like volvos are a well kept secret as most people look at them think old man car, but you get the right one and it still shifts and will normally hammer most of the cars the chavs have.
      #22   Report Post  
    Old 11-11-2012, 11:44 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Belimawr View Post
    it's why cars like volvos are a well kept secret as most people look at them think old man car, but you get the right one and it still shifts and will normally hammer most of the cars the chavs have.
    And if you rip the half tonne of interiour comfort crap out, swap the shocks for some decent ones and are crazy enough, it'll drift like a dream. Or so people tell me

Followz me on ze twitterz - @ctrlphr34k
      #23   Report Post  
    Old 11-11-2012, 11:46 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ctrlphr34k View Post
    And if you rip the half tonne of interiour comfort crap out, swap the shocks for some decent ones and are crazy enough, it'll drift like a dream. Or so people tell me
    The newer ones are either fwd or awd so no drifting.

You need a 940 or a 240 realy for drifting.
      #24   Report Post  
    Old 11-12-2012, 07:22 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Spatula View Post
    I drive a '97 volvo s40 se. Cracking car, but getting near the end of its life. Engines fine, but chassis is struggling.
    >Volvo
    >Chassi Problems

Lies.

I heard most of the Swedish army tanks are just Volvo 240's with steel plating around them and a gun on top.
    Quote:
    And also nicer looking than those big square things posted above.
    Doesn't make up for the lack of toque.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slow View Post
    So many nice and fast cars to be had in america and canada
    I think this is the first time i've heard a Brit not slander American/ Canadian vehicles.

I must be in a parallel universe or something...
    Quote:
    In the uk were stuck to like 1.8l for normal cars.
    1.8 turbo's in Volkswagen's are alright, just the problem is that they're Volkswagen's.
    Quote:
    Looking at getting a 04 citroen c2 for the cheap insurance =/

Paid £2700 for my first years insurance at 17 third party fire and theft.
    Ouch, I pay around $70 a month for insurance and plates for my Buick, around $60 for the chevette when it's actually on the road.

However, if I have a car over 30 years old, I can register it as an antique and pay around $120 to $160 a year for insurance and plates.

Quote:
    Powerful, yes, fast, no.
    Depends on what you define as fast, and at what price point. Chances are you'll be hard pressed to find a vehicle in the UK that offers the same speed for equal value here in Canada or America.
    Quote:
    They can't go round corners for shit like European and Asian cars can.
    Fun challenge:
    - Look at the map for Saskatchewan
    - Now find the route between Saskatoon and Regina
    - Count how many hairpin turns you notice along the route.
    - Good, now do the same for between Regina and Swift Current.
    - Now between Swift Current and Calgary
    - Now Calgary and Edmonton
    - Notice anything? There are no fucking hairpin turns.

Cornering doesn't matter when there are no corners to be taken, Canada and America are flat, open and full of awesome straight highways.

Bonus, look at Top Gear's power lap times ([URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Gear_(U.S._TV_series)#Power_Lap_Times"]source[/URL]).

Power Lap Times
    1:18.6 – Ariel Atom
    1:19.5 – Tanner's Ford Fiesta Rallycross
    1:22.0 – Dodge Viper SRT-10 ACR
    1:22.4 – Chevrolet Corvette ZR1
    1:22.6 – Lexus LFA[9]
    1:22.8 – Lamborghini Gallardo LP570-4 Superleggera
    1:23.3 – Ferrari 458 Italia
    1:23.4 – Lamborghini Murciιlago LP 670–4 SuperVeloce
    1:25.3 – Porsche Panamera Turbo
    1:26.9 – Lamborghini Gallardo LP 550–2 Balboni
    1:27.2 – Cadillac CTS-V Sport Wagon
    1:27.4 – Cadillac CTS-V Coupe
    1:27.6 – Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG
    1:28.2 – Aston Martin V12 Vantage
    1:28.2 – Ford Mustang Boss 302
    1:28.4 – Lotus Evora (wet)
    1:28.5 – Ferrari California
    1:28.9 – Roush Mustang
    1:29.2 – Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X GSR
    1:30.0 – Subaru Impreza WRX STI
    1:30.0 – BMW X6 M
    1:39.0 – Hennessey F-150 VelociRaptor 600

Notice how there are quite a few American/ Canadian cars up there? Even a fucking live axle mustang out preformed a Ferrari California by 0.3 seconds. Not to mention the glorious Corvette ZR1 out doing the track built Lexus LFA supercar And Ferrari 458.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thehiddencheese View Post
    And that's all stock, which fox's are known for having crappy k members, and bad body flex.
    Not to mention the extra 100+ lbs added to the frame due to it needing to be beefed up due to it being a convertible compared to a hard top fox body.

As well, Fox body mustangs are easily the best years for the mustang, where they where actually true raw muscle cars with style. As well, the SVO fox bodies are severely under rated.

And that's about as much love for mustangs you're going to hear from me as I live in Mustang country where every 16 year old who get's his license gets one because racecar. You get rather annoyed with them quickly.

Quote:
    I actually raced a few of the new mustang GT's off the line for the first few second your ahead then you hit about 40+ and get over took, but then once you hit 80+ you pass them again
    - Define new Mustang GT.
    - In what?
    - Naughty Belimawr, street racing is illegal.
    Quote:
    because with cars like that the majority are scared to go close to 70 never mind past it.
    Don't want to get pulled over in daddy's mustang.
    Quote:
    it's the same as the boy racers who get their cars all kitted out then drive like little old women because they get pulled over every time they pass a cop car
    Would help if they put proper mufflers on them and didn't drop into gear at what sounds to be around 3000 rpm.
    Quote:
    get a supposed family car and you can get away with pretty much anything.
    Hence my Buick.
    Quote:
    Was all that squealing really necessary to get round that corner so slowly? :P
    Fun fact, older mustangs pretty well had the same suspension set-up found in trucks, just that they sat lower so they felt more "sportsy". Dat live axle.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    I think the real reason we're a dying breed is because we have trouble breeding.
      #25   Report Post  
    Old 11-12-2012, 07:50 AM

Never owned a car up unitil they moved my job to Liverpool back in June so had to bite the bullet. Got a nice new shiny Hyundai i10 that tootles me up and down the motorway with no hassle. And more inportanly no MOT, piss all road tax and pretty much the lowest insurance group going. Too old for all that muscle car shit.
    Om - Thats a funny thing, winners never talk of Glorious Victories. That's because they're the ones who see what the battlefield looks like afterward. It's only the losers who have Glorious Victories.

T Pratchett, Small Gods.
      #26   Report Post  
    Old 11-12-2012, 08:40 AM

Quote:
    - Define new Mustang GT.
    - In what?
    - Naughty Belimawr, street racing is illegal.
    the crappy big ones like used in the knight rider remake.
    my Vectra, the person who had it before done something to it but no one knows what and the important thing is it moves a hell of a lot faster than it should, still couldnt get it past150 tho (by the way that's miles not KM)
    it's not street racing it's efficient pulling away at traffic lights.

as for long straight roads being good they really aren't they put you to sleep, you want the twists and turns and ups and downs to keep it interesting, if straight roads are the pinnacle of driving how come there are very few straight tracks out side of drag strips? it's because any idiot can get up to speed and keep there foot down, the skill comes from mainting speed through corners and getting back up to speed, most races can be lost purely on corners, it's why the old minis did so well against more powerful cars.
      #27   Report Post  
    Old 11-12-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by alberthammond View Post
    Never owned a car up unitil they moved my job to Liverpool back in June so had to bite the bullet. Got a nice new shiny Hyundai i10 that tootles me up and down the motorway with no hassle. And more inportanly no MOT, piss all road tax and pretty much the lowest insurance group going. Too old for all that muscle car shit.
    Surely a little 1.0-1.2 can not be good for motorways?

At 70mph its revs would be quite high hense more fuel used than a 1.8?
      #28   Report Post  
    Old 11-12-2012, 06:16 PM

I drive a 1.6 Peugeot 307. It's my first car, and I quite like it, although I have the impression that it's slowly falling apart. A sixth gear is a must for my next car as I'm often driving at night along empty motorways and going fast than 70mph just feels like pouring money down the drain.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by M3RV View Post
    I think this is the first time i've heard a Brit not slander American/ Canadian vehicles.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by M3RV View Post
    Cornering doesn't matter when there are no corners to be taken, Canada and America are flat, open and full of awesome straight highways.
    I think that's why; American/Canadian cars make a lot more sense in America/Canada, as does automatic transmission and cruise control. That and we're all terribly insecure.
      #29   Report Post  
    Old 11-12-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
    Surely a little 1.0-1.2 can not be good for motorways?

At 70mph its revs would be quite high hense more fuel used than a 1.8?
    not really, I learn't to drive in a 1.0 and it was fine on the motorway you struggled for 70 uphill but other than that it's fine, but it is generally true that smaller engine cars are way better for driving round streets but once you get onto the motorway over long distances with constant speeds the larger engine will start to be the better choice. but then the revs are usually limited by the gear ratios so they can still be quite efficient they just lose quite a bit of acceleration, I actually know someone with a 1.2 mini (a propper mini not the BMW crap) once it is warm that thing shifts it lacks top end but he can easily pass 90 in it as for trying to keep up with it round tight bends just give up before you start.

but 1.0's and 1.2's are really common as they are cheap as anything to insure and use way less fuel for general use.
      #30   Report Post  
    Old 11-12-2012, 09:03 PM

So much car speak. I haven't a clue what's going on
    “There has seldom if ever been a shortage of eager young males prepared to kill and die to preserve the security, comfort and prejudices of their elders, and what you call heroism is just an expression of this simple fact; there is never a scarcity of idiots.” - Ian Banks