Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > Eve Online > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Which of these can you fly?
    I can't fly a BC at all 5 20.83%
    I can fly a BC, but not T2 fit it 3 12.50%
    I can fly a BC, and can T2 fit it 6 25.00%
    I can fly (and afford to lose) a BS, but not T2 fit it 2 8.33%
    I can fly (and afford to lose) a BS, and T2 fit it 8 33.33%
    Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

#1   Report Post  
    Old 09-01-2010, 04:38 PM

Default Wormhole Operations

I'm very interested in getting some good corp wormhole ops going, and I think it would be a good goal for the corp to work towards. Right now we don't have the resources or skills to do it well, but with a bit of work we can change that. The main things we need are:

[LIST][*] Players capable of flying (and potentially losing) a fully T2 fit BC well (in large enough numbers to secure and farm a single wormhole system)[*] Some way of moving loot etc out of the wormhole (I don't know how much wormholes usually generate - several of us can fly transports, which would be ideal, but they may well not have the capacity required. A freighter would easily have enough space, but would that prove to be too risky? Or are normal industrials fine?)[*] A POS to store loot, equipment, and ships in. I don't know how importnat this is - if non-essential, we would be able to get one at a later date, once the iskies start rolling in from our W-Space ops - it would take some time to get together the isk for one otherwise.[/LIST]
    The biggest hurdle for us atm is experienced players. So, if everyone could take part in the poll (and ideally post here with details), we'd be able to get a better idea of exactly where we're at with this, and what needs to be done to change it.

Those of you who can't fly and T2 fit a BC, and don't have anything in particular you want to train for, it would be appreciated if you were to focus your training in that direction - the isk from a good wormhole will be more than worth it. I'll try and post some example fits later, to give an idea of the kind of thing needed for a wormhole op.
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 09-01-2010, 04:52 PM

A POS isn't needed for one off operations, but if we want to make it a regular thing it would help a lot. Some w-space systems act as hubs and regularly spawn entrances to other w-space, making it much easier to find empty systems that may not be connected to any known space.

A viator can carry the loot from class 3 or 4 systems easily, which is probably the hardest we could look at doing at this point. When I did it before I'd anchor a can full of cap boosters and ammo in a safespot, then drop the loot off there and collect it all when we were done. Containers can't be probed so it's safe enough there. I'm not sure how busy w-space is now, but I didn't have too much trouble finding an unoccupied system (and had some fun hunting down the occupants when there were any). It's best to start looking from quiet space; if you find a wormhole in Dodixie, chances are there's someone on the other side.
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 09-01-2010, 04:52 PM

I voted can fly but not equip , however i rec kon within a month or so i can equip T2 med guns on my Hurricane at a bare minimum, perhaps even some T2 medium things

Quote Buceph 12/08/2010 "No we think you're uneducated. Not insane."
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 09-01-2010, 04:57 PM

T2 guns are not so important for PvE, aside from saving money (best named guns are expensive). It's worth getting them fairly soon, but I'd get T2 armour repairers and hardeners first. Repair Systems and Hull Upgrades are the skills you want, not sure if they need level 4 or 5.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 09-01-2010, 05:33 PM

I voted "can fly (and afford to lose) a BS, but not T2 fit it". I'm a few months away from being able to equip t2 guns/drones. Most other modules I can fit at T2 however.
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 09-01-2010, 05:40 PM

I have a BC and mostly T2, just need to finish Hull Upgrades V when I am back from holiday. I have 150M so can afford a few losses.

Would love to try some WH action. Do we need a logistics ship? That is something I am interested in.

Realm First! Zen Master Cook - 25th Sep 2012

Last edited by Bimble; 09-01-2010 at 05:42 PM.
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 09-01-2010, 05:52 PM

1 logistics probably isn't a good idea, as it needs someone to repair it. Two would work. Would be useful if everyone trained remote repair, even if we don't use logstics ships it's still useful on BC and BS.
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 09-02-2010, 12:21 AM

I can't fly a BC at the moment, however I should have the skills in a couple of days (but not for a T2 fit).
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 09-02-2010, 06:54 AM

i would advise against setting up a POS in w-space just yet. It's a tremendous commitment and one mistake can bork the whole operation up. We will also need at least one person with an alt account that can be perma-logged. Hit and run's on juicy 'holes' (tee hee) are the best bet.

I'd also reccomend starting in c2's in BC's, losses are more maneagable then, you'll also get used to the mechanics more.

A small fleet (3-5 ships) of well fit BC's will be able to handle anything in there with ease, the numbers should also deter any opportunistic pvp.

You should fit your tank to be able to take hits of over 1000 dps per volley (the BS alpha) and be wary of speed tanks- web and you're dead.

Drones ARE usefull, but there's a trick to it which i can go into later.

I would also suggest at least 1 pvp rigged ship is on station or in fleet for quick responce.

MUST HAVE's
    - all ships MUST be able to probe and have a probe launcher fit.
    - remote repping is an absolute godsend- the more the better.
    -at least one salvage/tractor rigged ship

I wouldn't worry about the loot, most BS loot and salvage is suprisingly small. If, for example 5 myrms went in, you could pretty much clear a c2 and not run out of space in your hold. BUt i suppose a salvage fit Destroyer (with cloak) could work (to sit at safespot, cloaked, until mission is run).

I think we're a few months of doing this yet, hopefully i'll be back playing by then!

-------
    An irreverent look at gaming, and film; www.TheFunTurret.com
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 09-02-2010, 09:24 AM

Hate to be a sad old man here but I cant help but agree, I may not be skils n character but have been on and off the game for two eyars and have seen many corps fall and fail, mostly those that try to do high end stuff too soon. Sure its fun once or twice but when you consider a bigger step into WH/Nullsec you can be talking billions and alot of skill is needed just to sail trhgouh the rocky waters so to speak. I honestly think that instead of flying WH space atc we should be getting as many people up to Level 4/Level 5 standards as possible with regular nullsec/low sec pvp ops. One idea I was thinking for our corp was to be come a high sec merc corp for a while. Learn the ropes have a practice and actually "anchor" ourselves to the game before we actually anchor a POS (see what I did thar!). That isnt to say im not up for an op, justthe way I see us going forward.

ps We also need to actviely recruit. Fly a cvouple of ships to newbie space once in a while and recruit away,

Quote Buceph 12/08/2010 "No we think you're uneducated. Not insane."