Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Games

#21   Report Post  
    Old 10-31-2012, 10:14 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by R3DT1D3 View Post
    Honestly, that whole story was a mess of both him and her saying the other person did all these terrible things so who knows what the real truth was.

At the end of the day, one employee had a problem and I don't think that has anything to do with his ability to run the business.
    yeah but the ceo was all like "hey im a total sexist asshole etc" coming out admitting it
      #22   Report Post  
    Old 10-31-2012, 10:48 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Arobein View Post
    Are you on Hotmail?
    Yeah it is my spam account hahah. Why do you ask? I assume I am missing something
      #23   Report Post  
    Old 11-01-2012, 05:11 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnny82 View Post
    Yeah it is my spam account hahah. Why do you ask? I assume I am missing something
    Hotmail is known for spam. Sad, but I guess that's how they make money.
      #24   Report Post  
    Old 11-01-2012, 05:15 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lonwol View Post
    yeah but the ceo was all like "hey im a total sexist asshole etc" coming out admitting it
    I don't think he's said that he did what she said he did. Perhaps she didn't like working at his "boys club" and maybe heard a sexist joke or two. Then she probably wanted out but not without doing some damage.
    Problem with women today is that they want equality AND for us to be gentlemen. Can't have it both ways.
      #25   Report Post  
    Old 11-01-2012, 09:48 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lonwol View Post
    They were in an argument and she was telling him to stop making "sexist jokes" and he was telling her he's not going to change because that's who he is.

Have you never said anything ridiculous in the heat of the moment to emphasize your point?
      #26   Report Post  
    Old 11-02-2012, 02:07 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Arobein View Post
    Hotmail is known for spam. Sad, but I guess that's how they make money.
    Yeah, but that doesn't explain why I immediately get spam from them after visiting their site once. I expect the random crap that comes in here and there (though I rarely get spam now a days), but I don't typically get a corporation just adding me to their lists without me registering, purchasing, entering a contest, or submitting info. I literally just read the site and left.
      #27   Report Post  
    Old 11-02-2012, 05:19 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnny82 View Post
    Yeah, but that doesn't explain why I immediately get spam from them after visiting their site once. I expect the random crap that comes in here and there (though I rarely get spam now a days), but I don't typically get a corporation just adding me to their lists without me registering, purchasing, entering a contest, or submitting info. I literally just read the site and left.
    Blame Hotmail for doing it for you then
      #28   Report Post  
    Old 11-22-2012, 01:44 PM

Well, I looked into the Stardock issue I have been having. It turns out they are indeed collecting emails, and they also sell them!!!! I have unsubscribed from the newsletter on 2 email accounts. The automated message said it could take up to 10 days for it to be removed. Well its been a lot more than 10 days and I am still getting emails from them. Not only that, but I am getting even more spam than usual.

So, I have had to block any and all communication from Stardock. I HIGHLY recommend that people avoid Stardock and their disgusting email spamming and selling of emails. After some quick searches, it turns out this has been going on for YEARS! I will NEVER support ANY stardock software again. Yes... I am upset. I am used the stupid random spam, but from a company that I was potentially going to purchase from? And with no way to unsub? And the fact they sold my email?

[url]http://denisbider.blogspot.ca/2009/04/stardock-leaks-customers-emails-to-spam.html[/url]
    At this location employees of Stardock post to refute the information provided.

[url]http://forums.stardock.com/352629[/url]
    This site showing some random frustration.

[url]http://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/stardock-spam-[/url]
    Here, someone is in the same boat as me, and starts getting even MORE emails when unsubbing. Same with me.

[url]http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk/archive/index.php/t-70929.html[/url]
    People here also can't unsub.

There is SOOO much more available, but I didn't want to post more for the time being. Stardock = Crap.
      #29   Report Post  
    Old 11-22-2012, 02:13 PM

Until recently I had an entire domain set up for my emails and web pages. Any email sent to any address in that domain would go to me. So, to detect spammers, I would use the company name in the email address. I did that for something like ten years. Do you know what I found?

The company email addresses were almost never used in spam. And yes, that includes Stardock. The *VAST* majority of spam came through email addresses I had given out to friends and relatives! The one my dearly departed grandpa used was probably the worst.

I think the spammers are mostly getting their email addresses via virus now. A virus hits, scans your email contacts file, and sends out all the emails to Spam Central to be sold around the world. Home users that don't use their computers much and barely even know what a virus scanner is, never mind how often to update it, make the best targets while businesses with their firewalls and IT departments stay pretty safe.

So, if you want to find out why you're getting spammed more, I suggest checking to see if grandpa has updated his virus scanner lately instead of heeping blame on Stardock.
    ...the Law [of Fives] is: All phenomena are directly or indirectly related to the number five, and this relationship can always be demonstrated, given enough ingenuity on the part of the demonstrator.
    --- Hagbard Celine in the Illuminati series
      #30   Report Post  
    Old 11-22-2012, 02:26 PM

see I don't think it is true about viruses, I have 4 email accounts.

one for forums
    one for store sites
    one for games
    one for personal use and friends

the one for personal use and friends gets 0 spam.
    the one for games gets a little spam
    the one for forums again gets a little spam (despite me blocking the email on all forums)
    the one used for stores gets spammed to hell (this is not counting the standard promotion emails)

so it's not a virus that is the problem, the problem is a lot of these sites don't ask then sell your email to third parties because it is a big money maker, it's also illegal but unless you can prove what firm did it you have no come back.

but the sad fact is the majority of spam just comes from random generated names, the pick a domain (the common ones being gmail, hotmail and the likes) then just randomly generate the first part of the email address using a list of names, so the best way to avoid spam is use a email address that doesn't use names and don't give it to companies as a lot will illegally sell your information knowing you can't prove it easily.