I am 20 or younger and have no preference 3 12.00%
    I am 20-30 and have no preference 3 12.00%
    I am 30 or over and have no preference 0 0%
    My preference is dictated by the game your theory is pants 8 32.00%
    Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

#1   Report Post  
    Old 11-22-2012, 08:00 PM

Default Do you prefer 1st or 3rd person games

I read on another gaming forum that first and third person perspective preference is dependant mostly on the age of the gamer. This poll is intended to either debunk or prove this theory.

Please state your preference.
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 11-22-2012, 08:49 PM

Will your results be used in any way to try and prove a link between video games and crime? Do you have any association with Paul Dacre or the Daily Mail, or any other British shitrag?
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 11-22-2012, 09:16 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dayve View Post
    Will your results be used in any way to try and prove a link between video games and crime? Do you have any association with Paul Dacre or the Daily Mail, or any other British shitrag?
    sad to say this was my first thought as well
    CiT 600w PSU
    Generic CD/DVD drive
    Intel i3 2100 @ stock clock
    Xiagmatek Asgard case.
    Seagate 750gb HDD
    H61 mobo
    Dell stock keyboard (utterly shit)
    And a mouse.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 11-22-2012, 09:33 PM

I like both. They both have their strong points. First Person gives you more of a sense that you are that person. Third person is more akin to playing with a war hammer model or something

Third person also has the advantage of letting you see the awesome loot you have collected in RPG's

My first games were RTS's which I guess are third person in a way

Disclaimer: I am 20 and have not had the slightest urge to go on a murdering spree from playings video games so tough look if you are indeed a Daily Mail mole
    “There has seldom if ever been a shortage of eager young males prepared to kill and die to preserve the security, comfort and prejudices of their elders, and what you call heroism is just an expression of this simple fact; there is never a scarcity of idiots.” - Ian Banks
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 11-22-2012, 10:17 PM

Given the accusations that I am a reporter I will clarify my position.

I am a 40 year old gamer, I have been gaming since I was about 12 and we got a BBC micro the first game I bought was manic miner (for the zx spectrum). Aside from my PC my house and my car my computer game collection is the most expensive thing I own. My current favourite game is skyrim and the next release I am looking forward to is star citizen. I deliberately kept the poll question neutral to avoid triggering the usual 3rd or 1st person flame war, or being accused of bias. I am genuinely interested in the outcome of this poll. Unfortunately my attempts to avoid the flame war seem to have triggered a paranoid response.

In skyrim I maximise my one handed perks and frequently behead people, as such I would be something of a hypocrite to accuse gamers of being violent. On reflection all my favourite games are violent.

I don't know about violent but if a naughty sneaky reporter see's this thread he might conclude that gamers are paranoid (dayve and flyagaric you lads should avoid deus ex for a while).
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 11-22-2012, 10:26 PM

I play games based mainly on magazines like this, reviews and the "100 greatest articles". I don't really have a preference for third or first person games. The view point of the character in the game has never been a factor in my playing of the games.
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 11-22-2012, 10:47 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by stigbob View Post
    Given the accusations that I am a reporter I will clarify my position.

I am a 40 year old gamer, I have been gaming since I was about 12 and we got a BBC micro the first game I bought was manic miner (for the zx spectrum). Aside from my PC my house and my car my computer game collection is the most expensive thing I own. My current favourite game is skyrim and the next release I am looking forward to is star citizen. I deliberately kept the poll question neutral to avoid triggering the usual 3rd or 1st person flame war, or being accused of bias. I am genuinely interested in the outcome of this poll. Unfortunately my attempts to avoid the flame war seem to have triggered a paranoid response.

In skyrim I maximise my one handed perks and frequently behead people, as such I would be something of a hypocrite to accuse gamers of being violent. On reflection all my favourite games are violent.

I don't know about violent but if a naughty sneaky reporter see's this thread he might conclude that gamers are paranoid (dayve and flyagaric you lads should avoid deus ex for a while).
    If I'm paranoid about this it's because I've been driven to it. I wouldn't put it past those sneaky bastards to pose as gamers and do polls here to try to further their ultra right-wing, Christian-extremist agenda. In fact I'm sure they've done it before. There have been polls asking if we've ever experienced Game Transfer Phenomenon (which I'm not convinced exists at all, not in the way the shitrags try to make you believe it does) and even a week ago there was someone begging for us to fill out a questionnaire (on a different site which he/she linked in the post) which was so clearly intended to be used to prove a link between games and violence it really couldn't possibly have been more obvious.

I didn't answer that either.

Last edited by Dayve; 11-22-2012 at 10:51 PM.
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 11-22-2012, 10:56 PM

it's a bad poll as for me I like both it is entirely game dependant, a shooter I cant stand playing third person (but that's mainly due to the aiming reticle offset being annoying for precision shooting from behind things) but pretty much any other type of game I would rather play third person as it gives a better view point.
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 11-23-2012, 01:52 AM

In general, I like 1st person more, but in games like assassin's creed, I couldn't imagine 1st person.
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 11-23-2012, 02:39 AM

I like 2nd person games.
    Gskill RipjawsX 4GB (2x2) // Generic Asus optical drive
    1680x1050 LG L226WA
    Logitech G510
    Steelseries Ikari
    Razer Vespula
    Steelseries Siberia V2