Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > World of Warcraft Guild (EU) > General Articles

#1   Report Post  
    Old 06-17-2010, 08:23 AM

Default Would like to join but... which class?

Hi guys,

I'm a long time PC Gamer reader and always loved hearing about WoW and the guild (although I'm a heavy LOTRO player by trade!).

You lot and your escapades has finally inspired me to play WoW and I'm really enjoying it so far (rolled a mage). I am just wondering which classes you would be most likely to need as a guild? I've been playing every class at end game on LOTRO with a focus on tanking (oh Warden how I love you) and CC so I'm happy anywhere really.
    So do you need healers or tanks? DPS or buffers?

(I know I know roll what most appeals to me, but it's the game I love, and I will enjoy whichever class is most helpful )
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 06-17-2010, 09:00 AM

Like in every MMO ever, tanks and healers will always be in short supply. Buffs normally come from the Hybrids/Healers, and DPS is bountiful. But competent DPS is harder to find, so if you proove yourself exceptional, an additional DPS is always an assett.

I don't play on the EU servers, I'm in the US realms, but it should be the same everywhere. I'm in Asia so even if I wanted to play on the EU servers I can't, nobody sells the EU version here ;P
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 06-17-2010, 09:05 AM

Hi Beleboy

Cop out answer - play what you want

The guild is large enough that we have ample quanties of everything - except bears - because Tim plays one and everyone now knows how they fail at everything :P

Saying that, it is easier to get equipped for end game if you are a tank or a healer - but as Spiderman says, with great power comes great responsibility - you will get wound up by mindless DPS button mashers who have failed to L2P and know nothing about agro management.

As a Mage, the best advice I can offer is learn to count to 3 and keep your iceblock button handy. it'll save your life

Fuz

Last edited by Fuz; 06-17-2010 at 09:08 AM.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 06-17-2010, 09:19 AM

Hai Bel!
    As fuz said, we are a massive guild, who is capable of running two totally seperate end game raid lockouts per week. In other words, we have alot of everything, so if I were you I would pick a class you like the feel of and enjoy playing

In WoW, as with most other class based games, you will find that you are best at the class you enjoy the most, simply because you can put the time into learning it properly and it never feels arduous.

It took me a long time to finally find the class that I really liked - before TBC came out I never had a max level char, I simply couldn't get past level 40, and always ended up making new chars and got bored. It was only after TBC hit, and I finally made a warlock, that I finally found a class I really enjoyed and wanted to level.

So my advice is, experiment, pick a class you like the sound / feel of and run with it - we are a very acommodating guild, and raiding wise, ANYONE who is good is valuable - no matter what class
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 06-17-2010, 09:33 AM

Thanks for the answers guys, already showing why I m happy to play WoW in the PCG (knowing that there won't be too much epeening - well unless it's fully deserved ofc )

I am quite enjoying the mage, however I was hoping for more of a CC focus over DPS so I prob got that one a bit wrong

I think I ll go for a Tauren druid next, are they handy at end game?

My favourite raiding class in LOTRO has always been the Loremaster (CC, debuffs, off-heals, power management etc etc). I enjoy the feeling of controlling fights and knowing what is going on at all times, so any suggestions based on that would be great!

PS. Still on trial account waiting for boxed copy to arrive, can you still join guilds?

Last edited by Beleboy; 06-17-2010 at 09:35 AM.
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 06-17-2010, 09:44 AM

Hi Bele

There is no specific CC classes in WoW - its generally quicker to kill mobs than control it - CC is mainly used in PVP.

Certain classes get debuffs and some CC but its generally specific to certain encounters - Blizzard is very much against having to bring certain classes to raids to make an encounter managable.

If you are DPS then Blizzard want you to blow stuff up, not spend 10 minutes shackling a mob so it doesn't move.
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 06-17-2010, 09:49 AM

Trials can't join guilds no

To be honest, in Wrath of the Lich King alot of the emphasis on CC went out of the window in favour of simply zerging everything down with AoE, much to many people's disappointment. The developers HAVE promised however that CC will be alot more important in cataclysm however.

There isn't really a pure CC / buffing class in WoW in the same way as, say, a controller from City of Heroes or a Loremaster in LOTRO

Most of the classes have CC, some are effective at different things. Mages have Polymorph - which is great of humanoids and beasts for example. Warlocks have banish, which s exceptional at CCing demons and elementals but cannot CC anything else.

Rogues have a decent amount of control through their stuns and incapacitate effects (Gouge, cheap shot, kidney shot, sap, blind) and a very powerful movement speed reduction through Crippling poison

Essentially some MMOs have healers, tanks, DPS and controllers
    WoW has healers, tanks and DPS, and most of those roles have some form of CC that can be used on various different targets. There is no one class which is specifically focused on CC to the exclusion of much else.

Paladin's are one of the premier buffing / support classes, with their blessings, powerful heals (if specced into Holy) and abilities such as Hand of freedom, which removes roots and snares, and Hand of Protection, which grants temporary immunity to physical damage.

It does sound like a Paladin may have what you are looking for actually. They have 3 talent trees, one turns them into the most effective tank healer in the game, with a small but very potent toolbox of support abilities and heals. One tree turns them into exceptional tanks, easily capable of main tanking the most difficult raid encounters in the game. The final tree turns them into a excellent melee dps class which, although weak in high end PvP at the moment, does excellent dps, and is highly competitive with most of the other damage dealing classes

The melee dps tree gets access to a powerful 1 minute incapacitate effect called Repentance, which is a strong CC ability, while retaining its ability to buff others and utilise spells such as the aforementioned Hand of Freedom and Hand of Protection. They can still off heal too at a pinch! A dps paladin will sacrifice alot of his ability to offheal due to using melee dps plate gear - meaning that they won't have very much mana. They do have some excellent support abilities however, and the best Paladins are the ones who not only master their particular spec, but who also use their support abilities to aid their team mates as well
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 06-17-2010, 10:06 AM

Fantastic replies thank you!

I think I will try out a Paladin then. Although will have to wait for the battlechest to arrive before trying out the scourge one After reading through the WoW forums I think that a druid or paladin will prob afford me the most fun from the game.

I hope the move back to tactical raiding in Cataclysm is true, LOTRO has been going the way of the DPS is king instance in recent times and I'm not a massive fan of it. Sure I love scoring huge numbers but balanced with skillful play too!

Anyways I'll roll a druid in the mean time and hopefully see you in game in the next few days

Peace

EDIT - Just a quick final question, with talent trees, I understand that you can change once or twice but after that it becomes very expensive, just wanted to check so that I know if I need to research fully before moving toons past lvl 10.

Last edited by Beleboy; 06-17-2010 at 10:08 AM.
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 06-17-2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cataclysmic View Post
    Trials can't join guilds no

To be honest, in Wrath of the Lich King alot of the emphasis on CC went out of the window in favour of simply zerging everything down with AoE, much to many people's disappointment. The developers HAVE promised however that CC will be alot more important in cataclysm however.
    CC went out the window with patch 3.0 =P

Also, I enjoy playing my pally alt a lot (I like tanking now) but I am, and always be, a DPS at heart. My first, and only level 80 character is my Hunter. I loved playing a hunter before the lol-BM-spam-steady-shot patch 3.0 (seems a lot of things happened at 3.0.3 =P). There was an insane amount of work to do to play a Hunter properly, and there were so many buttons we had to press >.> I quit shortly after WotLK was released (roughly the time Ulduar was being progressed) as I got really bored of WotLK. Something just didn't click with me in Northrend.. Been away since.

I'm actually trying to get back to WoW and try to level my pally through the old zones one last time before it all goes to heck for Cataclysm =/

So yeah, play what you like. Stop when you don't. Alt till you do =P

EDIT 1: Yes, every time you respec it becomes more expensive up to a maximum of 50G I think per respec? Man, I've been away from WoW so long I'm starting to forget things >.>
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 06-17-2010, 10:19 AM

You can change spec two or three times before it starts to become expensive. If you're levelling a Paladin, start off as Retribution, but collect a set for tanking; in normal instances, a ret paladin can tank just fine whilst levelling, and you'll find it easier to get good groups. Same goes for healing. Come see me to get some large bags made so you can schlep around 3 gear sets as you level :-p

I have no idea what classes we will be short of by the time you get to 80 and are geared for raiding; our huge membership fluctuates, as do our raid signups. A Paladin, like a Druid, can tank, heal and DPS, so it would leave your options wide open.

Healing is the most fun, btw :-p

Welcome!

Darieth