Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Off topic

View Poll Results: Would you use this app?
    Yes, this sounds cool 3 37.50%
    Maybe, it needs to be more unique 2 25.00%
    Maybe, I already use Flipboard/Pulse 0 0%
    No, its useless and stupid 3 37.50%
    Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

#1   Report Post  
    Old 10-24-2012, 11:44 PM

Question Uni Project Research: Gaming news in one place.

Greetings fellow gamers!

I am a student currently studying Creative Computing at Goldsmith's College in London and I need your help.

I have a large project that counts for a substantial part of my grade to create, however I need to gather information on whether there is a market for my proposed idea which I shall now describe!

Proposed Idea:

In a nutshell its all your gaming news and updates gathered in one intuitive and slick place, on the go.

It will be entirely customisable so you can add:

- On-line Magazine news feeds(e.g. PC Gamer, and other we shall not mention!)
    - Twitter accounts
    - Blogs
    - Wikis ( I'm looking at you Minecraft players)

Other features:

- Steam Sales ( Alerts included )
    - Forum ( New individual forum not an amalgamation of all gaming forums )
    - Video Support ( So you can watch all those awesome trailers )
    - Related info ( News and Info will "find" related stuff based on the other chosen content )
    - An awesome design and interesting interfacing ( Secretive )

"He mentioned 'on the go', I don't like the sound of that...":

Yes I am afraid this is an iPhone application (Android has too many models and is unreliable). Now before you jump down my innocent little throat... I assume some of the esteemed members of this forum have smartphones? or are you all carrying your desktops around?

I do this in the interest of GAMING in GENERAL and not little silly iPhone games.

"Sound's like Flipboard/Pulse, you are an idiot":

Personally as a user of Flipboard and Pulse I find them cluttered, far to broad and I have to trawl through information I am not interested in. This is purely about gaming for gamers, if you want politics and a cake recipe, go use Flipboard. This will be exactly what YOU want, not a general "gaming" category that forces you to look at yucky articles about consoles etc.

Personally I just think it would be cool to have all this info in one place, not having to constantly check twitter for Rome 2 Total War updates, then going over to PC Gamer and then Gametrailers.com for videos. Oh and I can also see that Steam has snuck yet another awesome sale on while I'm at uni.

Soooooo at last the point of it all....:

Would you use this, do you see a market for it and why or why not? I shall include a holy poll endorsed by the Pope himself!

Leave comments with suggestions, telling me why I am an idiot or general advice.

If you read all that, I thank you greatly.
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 10-25-2012, 10:52 PM

I think the main issue with an app like that would be the target audience -> You're aiming it at PC gamers, who will inevitably have big shiny widescreens, which are much easier to read articles on. (I also think more PC gamers would be Android users, but that's gut feeling, might be completely bollocks)

Steam runs a similar system by collating all of the news regarding to a game in library view which I use occasionally - it's an all right system and seems to work.

One thing I'd look at including if you did do this is only showing articles that the reader is likely to use. If you used a system similar to last.fm where it looks at your games and highlights articles about games that people with similar libraries have. Might be worth making a script to trawl through the steam community to see what libraries people have. (So go through all the steam profiles in the format [url]https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197993887288/games?tab=all[/url])

You'll also have to deal with copyright if you're app does more than just provide links to pages (Good luck escaping a lawsuit if your app removes ads from pages then displays its own)
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 10-26-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by daviddanut View Post
    I think the main issue with an app like that would be the target audience -> You're aiming it at PC gamers, who will inevitably have big shiny widescreens, which are much easier to read articles on. (I also think more PC gamers would be Android users, but that's gut feeling, might be completely bollocks)

Steam runs a similar system by collating all of the news regarding to a game in library view which I use occasionally - it's an all right system and seems to work.

One thing I'd look at including if you did do this is only showing articles that the reader is likely to use. If you used a system similar to last.fm where it looks at your games and highlights articles about games that people with similar libraries have. Might be worth making a script to trawl through the steam community to see what libraries people have. (So go through all the steam profiles in the format [url]https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197993887288/games?tab=all[/url])

You'll also have to deal with copyright if you're app does more than just provide links to pages (Good luck escaping a lawsuit if your app removes ads from pages then displays its own)

Finally a response! Thanks for the feedback!

This is actually going to be multi platform... I have made threads on other forums as well trying to get the broadest view. I am hoping to include some kind of system like you described. I'm exclusively a PC gamer as well but I'm not always in front of my beautiful monitors ^^

I'm also gonna try and include steam achievement as Xbox user and Playstation users have asked for their equivalent as well an it seems the ability to brag is important for gamers!
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 10-30-2012, 02:39 PM

I think this is a great idea! I play on both PC and PS3 and get a little tired of having to trawl to many sites to get news and info.

I am however an Android user not an iPhoner...Boooo!

Good luck with it all though, I think there's definitely a market for it, but it sounds like an awful lot of work to pull the different feed formats together and app'ify them.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 10-30-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kezla View Post
    I think this is a great idea! I play on both PC and PS3 and get a little tired of having to trawl to many sites to get news and info.

I am however an Android user not an iPhoner...Boooo!

Good luck with it all though, I think there's definitely a market for it, but it sounds like an awful lot of work to pull the different feed formats together and app'ify them.
    I have decided to make it android compatible and eventually windows phone also! Thanks for the feedback!
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 10-31-2012, 02:25 PM

Definately go for the android. I think that among gamers in general, let alone pc gamers they are more popular
    Gelid tranquillo rev 2
    8gb corsair vengenceLP
    xfx core 7850 2gb
    Asus zonar DG
    550w xfx pro
    antec three hundred
    Some crappy dvd drive and a collection of hard drives
    21.5 inch BenQ 1080p screen

Laptop
    Hp pavilion g6 with:
    A4-3300 apu with HD6370 gpu
    4 gb of ddr3 ram