Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Off topic

#21   Report Post  
    Old 11-30-2012, 12:50 AM
    Banned

Think of it as a pre-emptive strike on the dirty IRA.

Last edited by TheXand; 11-30-2012 at 12:53 AM.
      #22   Report Post  
    Old 11-30-2012, 12:53 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheXand View Post
    Think of it as a pre-emptive strike on the dirty IRA.
    I will take that as your method of conceeding defeat.
      #23   Report Post  
    Old 11-30-2012, 12:54 AM
    Banned

Nonsense. The Irish were lazy Nazi loving fascists with a penchant for terrorism and a knack for blaming everyone else on how awful their country is.
      #24   Report Post  
    Old 11-30-2012, 12:57 AM

You know, it takes far fewer characters to write "I admit to being ignorant. I was wrong".

Edit: 12th best country in the world to live in.
      #25   Report Post  
    Old 11-30-2012, 01:08 AM
    Banned

It's only that high up because it isn't afflicted with Scotswomen.
      #26   Report Post  
    Old 11-30-2012, 07:11 AM

Oh, Hai there dear chap. That's a wonderfuly headdress you have there.

whats this you say?? it's a flag. It's good isn't it!

Got lots of blue and red and white in a nice striped pattern, all here. No, other way around. See that thin stripe bit there, goes towards the top- little secret that dontchaknow.

can you keep it? of course you can my old boy, it would be remiss of me not to offer.

*ambles off happily*

*ambles back momentarily*

See, here's the rub old bean, i can call you old bean can't i?? no?? ah. well, old bean the thing is, and i'm terribly sorry for not mentioning it eariler, but as you took that flag i now, technically, and only in the technical sense you understand, own you....

yes, yes, yes, i know, it was naughty of me not to mention it, but in my defense that is a very fetching headdress. Reminds me of my old aunt Authelia after she got drunk and fell into the bunting...

yes, yes, yes, i know, i fully understand why you're angry- but there's nothing i can do about it now you see. Look- it'll be fine. just play along until we've moved in and then we'll give you a nice desk job somewhere. desk job. desk. d. e. s. k. wooden thing, you sit by. no, not that... we can work on this later.

Few things you should probably know though, you're now christian. i know! wonderful isn't it. in fact if you look behing you you'll already see a chuch going up. Sorry about the old building. i'm sure it's only a little bit of fire, it'll pollish straight out.

We also kind of own everything now too. Yes including that. And that. erm... no keep that. But i will take your sister.

Now, where's the kettle? kettle. ket-tle. K.e.t.t.l.... oh forget it

*shoots man*

Watson! tea!

-------
    An irreverent look at gaming, and film; www.TheFunTurret.com
      #27   Report Post  
    Old 11-30-2012, 08:10 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JackRabbit View Post
    But they won't because British media continues to gloss over this appauling event in their history.
    They gloss over it because the vast majority of British people hold the exact same opinion as TheXand when it comes to the British Empire. The opinion that it was glorious, did nothing bad ever and that the bad things that happened were the fault of others OR an accident. As long as the majority believe this, including the royal family (who would believe it since they got very wealthy from it and those crimes were committed by their ancestors) and the vast majority of government too, those appauling crimes will never be properly brought to light.
      #28   Report Post  
    Old 11-30-2012, 08:34 AM

Look, the British empire were far far far from perfect, but they did, on balance do more good than harm.

After all the murdering that is.

-------
    An irreverent look at gaming, and film; www.TheFunTurret.com
      #29   Report Post  
    Old 11-30-2012, 08:44 AM

Tsk! What did the British Empire ever do for us?
    Do I win £5?

Like most Empire's, the British one saught to "bring order from chaos" and of course make a healthy profit for business. Of course the real day to day business was kept from getting back home, just as was the case in WW2 (allied shooting of prisoners etc), and just as it is now (oil in Nigeria, anything to do with the middle east). It just doesn't do to have the public too informed about anything - better just to give them a flag to wave and the odd well timed royal wedding to wave them at. "what's that you say about the world going to ratshit? Absolutely terri....Ooooh look at the princess' arse!"

Bread and Circuses - hasn't changed since antiquity. Empire at the point of a sword/henri-martini rifle.
    Om - Thats a funny thing, winners never talk of Glorious Victories. That's because they're the ones who see what the battlefield looks like afterward. It's only the losers who have Glorious Victories.

T Pratchett, Small Gods.
      #30   Report Post  
    Old 11-30-2012, 09:01 AM
    Banned

I love how people keep making up atrocities to justify how bad it was. Did we defeat a number of opposing armies? Yes, yes we did. But we never levelled any cities and sold the populace into slavery, like what would have happened were the roles reversed. Guaranteed no other empire on Earth could have become so great with so little bloodshed. One of the mainstays of the British Empire was working with the natives and incorporating them into the Empire, since it doesn't do to rile up the natives. That's one of the reasons that the British Army has been under strict orders to never pillage or genocide for centuries now. We brought peace, prosperity and modern Western views to the world. The British Empire was a great and glorious thing and something for all Britons to be proud of.

Tags

civ5