Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Games

#1   Report Post  
    Old 09-16-2012, 05:43 PM

Question Is the Subscription MMO Dead?

With the lumbering big box publishers finally embracing the FTP business model, is the subscription MMO's days numbered? Can Blizzard's next project and other big budget next-gen MMOs release a game with a subscription system in place?
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 09-16-2012, 05:49 PM

By MMO do you mean an MMORPG that is heavily based of of Everquest and World of Warcraft then yes since there are loads of f2p alternatives.

But EVE is still going strong and I guess if a, heaven forbid, an original new mmo came along that was different enough from the competition and did something exciting then it could probably could charge for some kind of sub.
    “There has seldom if ever been a shortage of eager young males prepared to kill and die to preserve the security, comfort and prejudices of their elders, and what you call heroism is just an expression of this simple fact; there is never a scarcity of idiots.” - Ian Banks
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 09-16-2012, 06:34 PM

The subscription MMO is dying, but it'll never stay truly dead.
    Motherboard-Asus P5KPL-VM
    Case-Nzxt TEMPEST
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 09-16-2012, 07:13 PM

I think it'll always remain an option, but I think you'll see virtually every new MMORPG going FtP now. I prefer paying a sub if I'm happy the game is well supported, like WoW was and ToR is at the moment, albeit slowly but surely.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 09-16-2012, 10:48 PM

Hopefully F2P is a fad that dies a horrendous death. The issue is there are soo many games and most people don't have enough cash or time to play all the ones worth it, not every game is worth 50 or 60 bucks either. Maybe $5 dollar subscriptions instead of 10 or 15.
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 09-16-2012, 11:27 PM

I wouldn't mind paying a subscription AT ALL for an MMORPG as long as it was good. If SWTOR had been an open-world game instead of a heavily instanced mess, with random world PvP encounters between the Sith and Jedi, the kind we used to get in WoW before the flying mount killed that part of the game, I'd never have looked twice at GW2, I'd still be playing SWTOR right now, instead of uninstalling it after 1 month like I did.
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 09-17-2012, 09:18 AM

Recent events pretty much say very clearly: subscription based MMO's are dead, with the sole exception being Blizzard's World of Warcraft. Players are no longer willing to pay a sub, unless the game is very, very, very popular. For anything else, there are F2P alternatives by the bucket.

Blizzard's next MMO project, if any, will be exclusively subscription based. Anyone else's next MMO project won't. I don't see any other game being able to survive on subs alone, but I do see mixed systems becoming the new de facto format for MMO's: optional sub combined with an in game store.
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 09-17-2012, 01:56 PM

Yes, it died when the collective gaming community stopped forgiving new MMOs for all the same things they forgave WoW for on it's release. Disclaimer, I played WoW on release. I was there, I remember. Bugs? Cancel subscription. Little to no end game content? Cancel subscription. Balance issues? Cancel subscription. The expectation seems to be that MMOs should be released with a mass of content with no bugs and be well balanced on day one. It's impossible, welcome to the f2p generation of MMOs.

Eve Online can be F2p if you've been playing it for awhile. I have a few friends that play it that haven't payed for any of their accounts for quite some time. They make good enough money in the game to buy their subscriptions with PLEX cards. It has a monopoly on sand box space MMOs. Can't really think of anything out there like it. So right now, WoW and Eve are the only games that could possibly survive on P2P.
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 09-17-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aever View Post
    Recent events pretty much say very clearly: subscription based MMO's are dead, with the sole exception being Blizzard's World of Warcraft.
    You forgot EVE, also in a way Runescape since the last time I checked that only charged you £3 to £5 a month which is much more managable.

Steam seems to have proven that making games cheaper nets more profit so why not try the same for subs? Make an MMO that is more original and charge £5 a month and I would be much more likely to play it.
    “There has seldom if ever been a shortage of eager young males prepared to kill and die to preserve the security, comfort and prejudices of their elders, and what you call heroism is just an expression of this simple fact; there is never a scarcity of idiots.” - Ian Banks
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 09-17-2012, 08:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to Megazell Send a message via MSN to Megazell Send a message via Skype™ to Megazell

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nocturnal7x View Post
    Hopefully F2P is a fad that dies a horrendous death. The issue is there are soo many games and most people don't have enough cash or time to play all the ones worth it, not every game is worth 50 or 60 bucks either. Maybe $5 dollar subscriptions instead of 10 or 15.
    Back in 1988 and 1989 the early forums where saying the same thing about F2P. Memories

-------------------------

I believe subscription models are on the decline and this is a good thing for PC Gamers. Enjoy!

Tags

f2p, mmo