Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > Minecraft > US Server

#1   Report Post  
    Old 09-10-2012, 01:36 AM

Arrow Obstacle Course Tournament (with prizes!)

Coming in December (specific date TBA), I'll be holding a racing tournament on my Super Mario Bros. obstacle course build!

The top players will receive prizes of their choice in ranking order.

[SIZE="4"]The format:[/SIZE]

The races will be run one-at-a-time and recorded, then compared to the runs of the other players in your bracket. The leading player moves on. If there are enough open slots, the players with the best remaining race times will also advance.

The course itself is split into eight Worlds. Each World is its own leg of the race and will be held in a separate round. The final round will have four players competing.

Rankings will be determined first by round, and then by race time in their final round (wildcard status).

Prizes (Steam games) will be awarded by rank. First place gets first choice, and so on until I run out of prizes. (Note: if you already own a copy of all remaining games, please be a gentleman/-woman and pass your prize down the line. This won't be likely, but it might still happen.)

[SIZE="4"]The rules:[/SIZE]

You'll run one-at-a-time over the course to reach the end of the World. Each World is split into four levels, each of which has a castle at the end. To complete a level, you must raise its flag (there's a lever inside the castle). To complete a World, you must raise all four flags in order.

If you fall off the course, you must return to the last ladder from the ground you passed or use one of your Ender Pearls. You may not take this opportunity to skip ahead.

Warp Zones are allowed but extremely impractical, as you'll still need to trek back and raise the flags you skipped.

You'll be allowed five Ender Pearls over the course of the entire tournament, so while you've got lifelines, you'll need to use them wisely.

You may not alter, place, or remove any blocks on, next to, above, or under the course.

Breaking any rule above leads to automatic disqualification. Disqualified contestants rank below eliminated ones but above anyone disqualified before them.

[SIZE="4"]End result:[/SIZE]

The recorded runs will (eventually) be spliced together and uploaded onto YouTube for enjoyment of the Internet.

[SIZE="4"]How to sign up:[/SIZE]

Go to the start of the course and follow the glowstone until you see the signup board. Add a sign with your username and some optional smacktalk. If the front fills up, use the back.

[SIZE="4"]The Prizes![/SIZE]

As I said, I'll be offering a list of Steam games to the top players, in rank order. They can take any one prize they like that remains on the list. Please, if you don't want any prizes left, please pass it down the line (the same number of prizes will still be given, though).

Also, please don't expect gigantic or expensive stuff from me. I'm paying for these prizes out of my own pocket. Thanks.

[SIZE="4"]In the meantime:[/SIZE]

You're allowed to practice the course until the games open. You can find it in the main world at /warp smb.

Also, tell your friends! The more players sign up, the more prizes there will be!

If you see any games in a Steam sale that sound like good prize material, please let me know here. However, please keep in mind that I'm paying for these out-of-pocket, so there's only so much I can afford.

Last edited by Twentydragon; 09-25-2012 at 08:34 AM.
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 09-14-2012, 08:51 PM

I guess you can also sign up here, if you're so inclined...
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 09-25-2012, 08:28 AM

There's been a change to the rules.

You'll now run two-at-a-time down the course. Your run will be recorded and put onto YouTube. It's also recommended that you have a Skype account (microphone optional) so you can hear one another and me (and so that your voices can be heard in the recording!).

The player in the lead must raise the flags inside the castles along the way. The trailing player does not have to lower them.

The first player (regardless of flagpoles) to hit the switch at the end of the World advances to the next round. Both players' times are recorded, and 0:30 is knocked off of it for each flagpole they hit.

You each now also receive three Ender Pearls per World. Pearls you don't use carry over to the next World.

I'll also be adding a few more ladders to the sides of the course later on, so you don't have to trek all the way back in the heat of battle (so to speak) if you misstep.

If you Ender Pearl yourself past a castle before the other player reaches it, you must go back and raise the flag while they might be running right past you.

Lastly, we now have 22 players! Thanks, everybody, for signing up so far! But we're not done yet; please tell your friends! If we reach the following numbers of players, then I can offer a prize to more ranks (the top 6 are already in):

24 - 7th
    27 - 8th
    30 - 9th
    33 - 10th
    35 - 11th
    38 - 12th
    41 - 13th

Also, please keep in mind that the course is open for practice until December 1. That's when we'll start recording World 1. World 2 should start around December 6.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 10-03-2012, 06:48 AM

Okay, there's just been a very major wrench thrown into the course. Since Wireless Redstone is apparently gone from the server, I have to completely redo levels 4-4 and 7-4, as well as all the large castles. I have no idea how else to make them work properly, since there is simply not enough space for proper redstone wiring.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 10-05-2012, 05:52 AM

I'm sorry it's gone there is a replacement plugin already installed, but it got some problems thats why i won't give too much info on it yet.

Reason i had to remove wireless, there was a huge problem with it that caused the whole server to fail in 1.3.2.(upto a few days ago we where still 1.3.1)

I can help you figure out the problems.
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 10-05-2012, 03:55 PM

I'm sorry Twenty, I may have killed your pony.
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 10-09-2012, 03:38 AM

All right. Wireless is back, and thanks to some help from SnyTe, the only thing running wirelessly is world 7-4.

But the important thing is that[SIZE="4"] they all work now![/SIZE] =D
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 10-26-2012, 11:43 PM

JTJ and WTFLegos helped me out with [URL="http://youtu.be/b53Cz4xZTzo"]recording a quick run-through of the course[/URL]. Please watch and share on YouTube! Signup ends in 20 days!

Hopefully we'll be able to get the other seven videos up soon enough.
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 11-15-2012, 02:56 PM

Today is the last day to sign up! You have until I check the board at 00:00 Mountain Time to sign up. After that, our roster is final!
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 11-16-2012, 11:57 PM

Signup is closed, and the roster is final! You can check out the new thread for the tournament as it goes on [URL=http://www.pcgamer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22834]here[/URL].

Tags

contest, mario, obstacle course, prizes, tournament