Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Tech

#1   Report Post  
    Old 06-18-2010, 01:18 PM

Default Irritating Monitor Issue.

Hey guys, first off I'd just like to mention that this isn't strictly tech so if anyone feels it should be moved then feel free.

Right now I have a 21" Monitor at 1920x1080, [Glossy] upgraded from my 19" Monitor at a bad 1440x900. [Matte display, I think you call it] I'm thinking of going back to my older monitor simply because of the horrible screenglare that I get when using my HP 2210i. I paint using Photoshop on it and usually am using dark colours so I can usually see myself and if one part in a game is dark then I'm screwed because I can't see what I'm doing.

I also have reason to believe that the screen glare is giving me migraines, so the thing to do would be to reduce the light scource by shutting out the light? Well I also seem to get headaches when Im in a dark room with a bright monitor.

I'm looking for information on how to recude the screen glare and if others have glossy/reflective monitors out there. I'm at a loss for why people would make such a material when my old monitor doesn't have it.

Thanks, Ryan.

Last edited by RyanHood; 06-18-2010 at 01:24 PM.
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 06-18-2010, 01:35 PM

Do you not have a light you can point away from the monitor? Get a desk lamp behind the screen or off to the side to light your room without shining directly on the screen.
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 06-18-2010, 01:37 PM

When I open my blinds the light floods the room, even turning the monitor away there is still screen glare.
    If I closed them and got a lamp I'd still have the same problem as before, sitting in a dark room but this time with an orange artificial light, which I'm sure would give me more of a headache.

Edit: The ideal solution would be to get a 21'inch none glossy monitor...but I'm not sure of the disadvantages and the advantages, apparently glossy helps with the res?

Last edited by RyanHood; 06-18-2010 at 01:40 PM.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 06-18-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RyanHood View Post
    When I open my blinds the light floods the room, even turning the monitor away there is still screen glare.
    If I closed them and got a lamp I'd still have the same problem as before, sitting in a dark room but this time with an orange artificial light, which I'm sure would give me more of a headache.

Edit: The ideal solution would be to get a 21'inch none glossy monitor...but I'm not sure of the disadvantages and the advantages, apparently glossy helps with the res?
    Glossy surfaces are generally brighter and more contrasty, plus the colours are usually more vibrant than matte surfaces. I myself prefer matte surfaces but LCD screen with them are stupidly hard to find.

You could get one of those anti-glare filter panel things that people used to put on their CRT monitors back in the day. It's like a piece of glass with a hook like thing which attached itself to the top of the monitor. For LCD's it probably hooks to the top of the LCD like how webcams do.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 06-18-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SamfisherAnD View Post
    I myself prefer matte surfaces but LCD screen with them are stupidly hard to find.
    Are they? Both my cheap 20" LCDs have matte screens. My laptop is glossy and it does have a nice sharp picture, but that's probably more from the relatively high res for the size.

Ryan - have you at least tried artificial light? I usually have my desk lamp on when I'm gaming at night, and find the soft background lighting helps reduce eye strain.
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 06-18-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kelron View Post
    Are they? Both my cheap 20" LCDs have matte screens. My laptop is glossy and it does have a nice sharp picture, but that's probably more from the relatively high res for the size.

Ryan - have you at least tried artificial light? I usually have my desk lamp on when I'm gaming at night, and find the soft background lighting helps reduce eye strain.
    Well over where I am it's all glossy screens everywhere >.< The matte surface on my HP Mini 210 is fantastic!
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 06-18-2010, 04:00 PM

I don't have a glossy screen, but I use an angle-poise lamp pointed at the wall to provide a more subtle ambient light when gaming. The reflected light doesn't cause any glare problems and means I don't have to game in the dark to appreciate dark games like Thief.