Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Games

#11   Report Post  
    Old 08-30-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Freddie View Post
    Perhaps all the characters wearing silly hats?
    Headcrab hats.

On a more serious note: more heavily-scripted sequences where you run around like a demented mute where psychotic NPCs ramble on at you as if you were actually a normal being instead of said demented mute. If you ask me, every person in Half Life games has got a screw loose - or more than one. Maybe in Half Life 3, there will be a sex scene between you and Alyx after Alyx falls in love with you for being "such a good listener" and for "sweeping her off her feet" by making the anti-gravity gun suck her shoes from her feet and flinging them at a wooden crate.
      #12   Report Post  
    Old 08-30-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Red_Avatar View Post
    more heavily-scripted sequences where you run around like a demented mute where psychotic NPCs ramble on at you as if you were actually a normal being instead of said demented mute. If you ask me, every person in Half Life games has got a screw loose - or more than one.
    The idea was that Gordon's part of the conversation takes place in your head so it isn't as jaring as a voice actor saying exactly what you would not say in that given situation.
      #13   Report Post  
    Old 09-01-2012, 07:25 AM

Half- Life 3 nice. Whats happen with episode 3??
      #14   Report Post  
    Old 09-01-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jon_hill987 View Post
    The idea was that Gordon's part of the conversation takes place in your head so it isn't as jaring as a voice actor saying exactly what you would not say in that given situation.
    And then have NPCs respond completely the wrong way to what you would have said ... which brings you back to the same problem really. In the end, I think being mute doesn't really always work the way Valve did it in HL2. Makes you feel like an autist. In HL1 the interaction was a lot more limited and it worked there, but having Alyx going on about how great you are etc. just feels very lame to me. It does work, Valve simply took it too far at times.
      #15   Report Post  
    Old 09-01-2012, 04:25 PM

It'd be interesting to see if Valve offer any choices in HL3.
    Like "oh Gordon these people need help but if you help them, so-and-so will die/the bridge will be overrun and we'll have to take a detour which will take longer and mean the outpost we're trying to get to may be destroyed"
      #16   Report Post  
    Old 09-01-2012, 08:26 PM

A two hour campaign. :P
      #17   Report Post  
    Old 09-01-2012, 11:50 PM

Coming through the first post and I must say, it's one of the most interesting texts I've read in relation to my all time favorite HL series.

Getting to the reference about graphics I 'd like to add that, this is one reason I never became one of those people complaining about HL3 or Hl2 episode 3. It seems to me that Valve is waiting until they have the proper graphical backround before they start with the next Half Life revolution and I'm quite sure it'll be worth the waiting.

It's been years since I played HL2 and although some stuff could be better for sure ( the previous posts cover that part), there was not a single game after that, that got me into it that much. I still remember staying awake to 6 a.m. while having to go to work at 7.00am simply because I couldn't stop playing. I've been asked quite a few times but no. No other game managed to keep me that long. Okay, maybe Portal 2.

If there's a company out there I'd buy a game from with my eyes closed that'd be Valve. They've proven that they can do some serious and groundbreaking games and Valve is where I believe the next big surprise in gaming will come from. Will that surprise be HL3? Well, I hope so.
      #18   Report Post  
    Old 09-10-2012, 06:32 AM

Priest, thanks so much for your kind words.

SAeN brings up a fine point by questioning the point of this. I've gotta admit, not much point at all. More than anything, it was therapy. I had all these thoughts bouncing around in my head and getting them down, here, means the voices have stopped (thank heaven). For a time at least.

Oh, and @General Armchair, tisk tisk tisk. Had you read it you might be well on your way to the treasure. Surely the others have picked up on the hidden clues by now. If not, you may yet be in the race and blah blah.... meh, who am I kidding. Were I you, I wouldn't read it either. Much too many words.
      #19   Report Post  
    Old 09-10-2012, 11:23 AM
    Banned

So long as they give me some closure on the damned story I will be content.

Tags

half, half-life, life, source, valve