Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > Minecraft > UK Server

#1   Report Post  
    Old 09-04-2012, 10:57 PM

Default BBBBBuild Contest Redux! Signup Here!

Ladys and gentlemen! We apologise for the break in transmissions; it's been a while since we've seen any contests held in our floating sky arena - this has been due to an unfortunate complete LACK OF TIME on the part of your humble host, yours truly, due to a small starcraft 2 addiction

That said, we'll be hosting a new round of the contest soon (tm) - rules are more or less the same as in the past:

* The contest will be to build *whatever* you want to a given theme e.g. "A Miner's Lunch" or "Windswept"

* The only materials you may use are those provided for the contest.

* Yes, thats right, you'll be getting materials provided to build with, in a specially constructed bedrock'd build area, floating high above the world (read, the arena walls hit the skycap, so you have a limited Y-axis to build in)

* How the contest will work - You are given a 20x20 (by 14 blocks high iirc) area to build in. In addition, you have a little room with a sign reminding you of the contest theme, and a second room containing some (or none!) of the following:

> A Crafting Table
    > A Forge
    > A Double Chest.

You may not get all of the above - each topic will have a different supply of materials and services; you are of course welcome to craft any of the above from the supplied materials if you feel its necissary...

* Each phase of the contest will last for a short period of time (24 hours). At the start of each phase, your chest will be updated with the build material for the phase, and any material not used in the previous phase will be *REMOVED*. NOTE: One of the rules of the contest is that any non-used material be returned to the chest before the end of the current phase. Failure to do so will be considered a breach of the contest rules, and carries dire punishments...

* After a set number of phases, the walls will be removed, the judges (me for the invitational, i'll build a panel of creatives/mods/admins for later contests) will vote and a winner will be declared!

The Rules
    1) /cprivate your doors before you do anything else.
    2) All material must be used or returned to the chest before the next section of the contest begins.
    3) Breaches of rule 2 *CAN* and *WILL* be spotted, punishments will range up to and including inventory clear and /tempban. Entry to ze contest is an agreement to not be a naughty boy/girl.
    4) If a furnace/workbench/whatever is not provided in your build area for a given challenge, you *may* use provided materials to build one.
    5) You may only use materials provided for the contest. N.b. /kit tools is allowed however, so you don't need to craft your own pickaxe/whatever if you misplace a block, and of course /kit food so you don't starve!
    6) Yes, that means you can't bring in a bucket of lava to make a cobblestone generator. This is considered cheating. If one is provided however, then using it to make a genny is considered a creative use of materials.
    7) If at any point saplings are provided, farming trees for wood is ok.
    8) No peaking at the other builds. The contest area is by the skycap anyhow, you won't be able to build higher than the glowstone ring round the top.
    9) Build fast, there's only 24 hours between each lot of materials!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Should you want to get some idea of what the builds are like, there's a gallery of past entrants up at /warp buildcontestgallery

Or you could look at the last winner, up by the warp list tower near spawn.

Prizes: Victory gets you your name on a little plinth in the gallery, plus your build up *AT SPAWN* until the next contest starts. All builds are stored in the gallery at the end of the contest.

As a side note, a number of past entrants are now creatives. This doesn't mean entry will get you creative. But winning the build contest certainly doesn't hurt your chances.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, what now? Well, if you want to take part, make sure you can spare about half an hour *EVERY DAY* from this saturday, September 8th. I expect the contest will start at some point in the afternoon, but no specifics )

If you can spare the time, and want to enter, post below and I'll make sure you get a space.

~~ Ctrl

Followz me on ze twitterz - @ctrlphr34k
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 09-04-2012, 11:25 PM

Count me in : )
    16Gb Kingston DDR3 2000 HyperX
    2x nVidia ASUS ENGTX 560 Ti TOP SLI
    Custom Modded Steampunk Case ("Project: APASF")
    2x Kingston HyperX 240Gb in RAID
    2x 750Gb Seagate Barracuda
    Matrox Triplehead Digital Edition
    3x Packard Bell 22" Full HD LED @ 5760x1080
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 09-05-2012, 12:33 AM
    Banned

Aw, my build won't be at spawn any more . Well, I'll just have to win again.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 09-05-2012, 08:03 AM

Me please
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 09-05-2012, 03:58 PM

Ooo, Id like another shot at it.

Steam: 最高裁オタク様 Webber

Xbox: WebbeR NI

Email(If its important, no spam mail please.): owenawebb@gmail.com
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 09-05-2012, 07:12 PM

oh iya :P xxx another one yay :P im in
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 09-05-2012, 08:12 PM

I'd like to have a go at this, count me in!
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 09-06-2012, 07:50 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to vk819

Eh, go on then. Might be entertaining :3
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 09-08-2012, 11:14 AM

me to please (missed the last few contests).
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 09-08-2012, 12:32 PM

i also extracharactersgohere