Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > World of Warcraft Guild (EU)

#1   Report Post  
    Old 09-04-2010, 03:08 PM

Default Rogue dps

Hey all I figured here would be as good as any place to ask some questions about my rogue. I am going to admit I think I'm pretty bad at the class, although it is my first wow toon.

The issue is in 5 mans I am doing pathetic damage. TO the song of 9% of the dps for the group. I have every dps class beating me out and then the berating starts. "Kick Him" "I have seen level 60 rogue out damage you" "did you level the toon?" are just some of the verbal assaults I seem to get often during 5 mans.

Here is a link to my armory page :

[url]http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Emerald+Dream&cn=Yosucka[/url]

Now I am in combat spec atm becasue I take way too much damage in northrend using my assassination spec. Most of the Northrend gear I have come across is ++stam and has a higher gearscore then most of the gear I am wearing on my armory page.

I'm just not grasping something. I'm told I should be doing massive damage but In the Utgarde Keep dungeon the other day I died like 3 times 2 on the last boss alone in that dungeon, and during this 5 man I reiceved the worst of the abuse.

I could really use some help as I feel totally discouraged with the game and for the first time ever left the 5 man after we wiped on Utgarde Keep final boss.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 09-04-2010, 04:01 PM

Hi there!

1. I know you've only recently hit Northrend but a quick look at your gear reveals some very outdated stuff. I'd suggest you ignore dungeons until you've quested through Howling Fjord and Borean Tundra, and replaced everything from Outland.

2. Get some glyphs.

3. You're an enchanter - use it. And not to put Intellect on your bracers.

4. You don't describe your rotation, but your best bet (so you really understand your abilities, rather than just doing what someone tells you) is to read through all your abilities and work out a logical rotation based around Sinister Strike. Install a DPS meter like Recount so you can see - while questing - what difference your choices make.

Good luck.
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 09-04-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    Hi there!

1. I know you've only recently hit Northrend but a quick look at your gear reveals some very outdated stuff. I'd suggest you ignore dungeons until you've quested through Howling Fjord and Borean Tundra, and replaced everything from Outland.

2. Get some glyphs.

3. You're an enchanter - use it. And not to put Intellect on your bracers.

4. You don't describe your rotation, but your best bet (so you really understand your abilities, rather than just doing what someone tells you) is to read through all your abilities and work out a logical rotation based around Sinister Strike. Install a DPS meter like Recount so you can see - while questing - what difference your choices make.

Good luck.

Well thanks for the advice. What exactly is outdated? Every piece of northrend gear I see is < what I currently have with a few exceptions.

I am an enchanter and the intellect was to level enchanting I should remove that off my bracer. As for the rest of the enchants they seemed good to me ++ agilty is good for a rogue no?

And what in gods name is a rotation?
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 09-04-2010, 04:26 PM

Hi Nyh,

I agree with Ross, give instances a miss till you get some better gear, they can be very unforgiving places if you are new to the game, in the meantime check out this website [url]http://shadowpanther.net/leveling.htm[/url] for a guide to levelling a rogue.

I'm on holiday atm but I will be back tomorrow night and can help you with glyphs etc if you like (look out for Klatu or one of alts, Kook, Protexblue or Boogy)

ps a rotation is where you hit certain buttons in a sequence, there are examples on the webpage I linked to, try not to get too discouraged, we were all new once.
    "...people who personify and love corporations to the point where they can actually feel betrayed by them - well, roll over and take it. You're in for a lifetime of abusive imaginary relationships."

(Blyth Jon, September 2011, PCGamer UK, p90)

Steam id: feersum
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 09-04-2010, 04:26 PM

Well, if you're sure that the NR gear you're seeing is not as good as what you have, then fair enough. I don't remember keeping anything for long though.

Agi is good, yes.

A rotation is the term which describes the order and priority of actions you use in combat. ie, Sinister Strike, Sinister Strike, S&D, SS, SS, Evisc, etc. You should find an optimum one.
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 09-04-2010, 04:43 PM

I see. In mutilate spec I typically go

mutilate-sinister strike-sinister strike-eviscerate repeat. Sometimes Ill do a slice and dice but not always. From time to time if i think Im going to have a problem Ill hit one of the 8 buffs i have often atk power, bloodlust and or evasion.

In combat spec I use

ss ss ss ss ss eviscerate.
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 09-04-2010, 05:24 PM

Hi there, firstly i'd strongly reccommend you look at our Rogue guide on these forums. It should answer a lot of your questions. I wouldn't neccesarily agree with Ross when he says avoid the dungeons, certainly when I started in Northrend I went straight into the dungeons as thats where the best gear is found. With a few tweaks you should be doing enough dps at least not to be ridiculed.

First thing: Your weapons, they are both 2.60 speed, this is a huge no no. You need a slow speed a weapon in your main hand and a fast in your off. (Fast is 1.80 or below and slow is anything above that) so your number 1 priority is to find a fast off hand, even if it is a few levels below get it.

Apart from that your gear seems fine, enchant and gem if you like but its not essential untill you get to 80 and to be honest its a bit of a waste unless you have a lot of money because you'll be changing gear quite quickly.

Second thing Your spec is wrong, just with a quick look I can see you have points in things like Master of Deception and opportunity. Master of Deception is a stealth buff which will do nothing to improve your dps in 5 mans, and opportunity is for daggers and the general Mutilate spec, absoloutely useless if you're a combat rogue. Also you have points in Kick and sprint which is going to do nothing for your dps either. You also have no glyphs, you need glyphs.

I'd reccommend this spec as it's the cookie cutter combat spec. [url]http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#fhg00tLZMgV0ocxqru0xRt:hkN[/url]

Copy all the combat talents first and then go on to fill out the assassination ones as you level to 80. Pick Sinister strike and Eviscerate first and then get Killing spree when you get your final glyph spot.

Third and final thing Rotation! A rotation is the buttons you press in combat which absoloutely maxes your dps output. For combat it should go something like SS to three combo points, use Slice and Dice and then continue to use SS untill you have 4+ combo points and then eviscerate. Keep doing this and making sure you keep S&D up.

All this is pretty much in the rogue guide so do take a look at it. Amongst all this info is also all the info you'll need when you hit 80 and want to become a pro raider!
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 09-04-2010, 06:44 PM

Fast is opposite it seems of what it should be as wouldn't a dagger with 2.6 speed be faster then one with a 1.7 speed?

i guess I didn't realize 1 or 2 spec talent choices which are wrong could have such an impact

Ill have to look into glyphs, as I know nothing of them.

Thanks for the direction, I love my rogue I just hope I can turn this around. People say wow is easier now then it was, which is probably true but being a total new player to wow in the past 4 months there is years of stuff to know much more in depth than any other mmo i have ever played for sure.

Last edited by Nyhcjedi; 09-04-2010 at 06:46 PM.
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 09-04-2010, 06:53 PM

Basically a number like 1.7 shows you how quickly you attack, meaning you hit every 1.7 seconds. If you adjust those things I highlighted you should be doing fine dps in 5 mans.
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 09-04-2010, 06:55 PM

Thank you very much i will look into it.