Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Games

#61   Report Post  
    Old 10-15-2012, 07:22 PM

[URL="http://bit.ly/GYreLR"]GOG responds in the Linux request thread![/URL]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheEnigmaticT
    We've seen a lot more of you guys voting on this wish recently and I thought it was only fair for me to update you. Linux is a great platform, and we love how much passion you guys are showing for it here on our wishlist. We definitely know that it's one of the top things our community wants from us, but it's also really difficult to bring the GOG.com level of support and ease-of-use to the wide variety of distros that are commonly used by Linux users. If we're able to bring GOG.com games to Linux--and we're constantly evaluating ways that we can do this--we want to make sure that we're doing it the GOG.com way: simple, easy, and it "just works." I'm not telling you guys to give up hope--we know how much you want this--but what I am saying is that this is harder to support than it might seem initially, and we're not ready to move to support Linux officially just yet.
      #62   Report Post  
    Old 10-15-2012, 07:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to Megazell Send a message via MSN to Megazell Send a message via Skype™ to Megazell

#63   Report Post  
    Old 10-15-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Megazell View Post
    Duuude, what is it? What don't you like?
      #64   Report Post  
    Old 10-15-2012, 09:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to Megazell Send a message via MSN to Megazell Send a message via Skype™ to Megazell

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FutureSuture View Post
    Duuude, what is it? What don't you like?
    I like the msg/info just wanted a little more.
      #65   Report Post  
    Old 10-16-2012, 02:11 PM

On a more positive note, the Linux request on GOG has now surpassed 7 000 votes, making it the second site feature request to do so!
      #66   Report Post  
    Old 10-29-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PC Gamer
    [SIZE=3]GOG on Windows 8, Mac gaming, and Linux support[/SIZE]

PCG: You’ve just released a new catalog of Mac games on GOG. You and Valve are sort of moving into that space together, and Valve with Linux, too. Is any of that a response to the reception of Windows 8?

Trevor Longino: [Laughs] Well, there are things I can’t say about Windows 8 or else someone will drag me out back behind the Microsoft building and shoot me. But I will say, based on what I know, I know what people’s concerns are about Windows 8. And there are some very serious ones as far as releasing new games.

But from GOG’s point of view, Windows 8 gaming isn’t quite as scary as it is for other game outlets. But we mentioned at our conference that we’re working on Windows 8 support. The majority of games that work on Windows 7—I’m saying like 90% here—work on Windows 8. But we’re based on the release candidate build that was publicly available. And one, we don’t know what’s going to change in the final build—hopefully not much—and two, we don’t know what they might change in say, Service Pack 1. It may be they get really big pushback from the community. Not just developers that are concerned, but users who are saying, “I’m not gonna upgrade, this looks like rubbish.” So they may walk back some changes, in which case what we’ve been testing on might not be what ends up being the OS that you have available.

So, we have a plan in place for Windows 8. We will support it with the majority of our titles, I don’t doubt. But I will say that moving over to Mac gaming isn’t because we anticipate seeing more gamers thinking, “Hey, you know, this Windows 8 isn’t worth it, let me go see about Mac gaming.”

PCG: And Linux?

TL: Linux gaming is also something we’d love to do, but we haven’t made any announcements about it yet. We’ve been looking at it.

I’ve been making public statements for a while that there are technical hurdles. Steam’s approach is to say, “Here’s our distro, we support this distro. Have another distro? Sorry.” That’s not how GOG does things, we’re more free-range gaming. So we’re looking at how to deliver the GOG experience on— we can’t say every computer, because you can of course hook up an E Ink display with 2-color CGA as your monitor, use Lynx as your web browser, and run some weird Debian distro that you’ve custom modded to do just what you want and then say, “How come I can’t play your games?”

PCG: I’d love to play Fallout 2 on an E Ink display.

TL: Yeah, something like that? No, we won’t support it, obviously. But we want to try to get it where the majority of gamers, if they’re on Linux, will be able to get a game and expect it works. We haven’t found a solution, yet. We know there’s a big demand for it, just like we know everyone wants System Shock with 25 thousand votes. It’s tough, because the rights with System Shock are just a mess. Likewise, we know people want Linux games. And people are saying “You could just distribute the TAR and we’ll figure it out.” Sure, we could just distribute the DOS executables and just let the Windows users figure it out, but that’s not how we do business. So making that experience on Linux is a challenge and one that we’re trying to address.
    [URL="http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/10/24/cd-projekt-red-interview-cyberpunk-2077-witcher-2-piracy-windows-8-and-more/"]The source.[/URL]

I love how he justifies not supporting Linux in one way by saying he wouldn't support Windows that way either, despite the two being fundamentally different.
      #67   Report Post  
    Old 06-16-2013, 03:33 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joystiq
    While The Witcher 3 intends to make the best out each new console's content ownership policies, Iwiński hopes players will remain cognizant of the game's full breadth of supported platforms. "There's one important comment I'd like to make. When we announced [The Witcher 3] at the Microsoft conference, we saw a lot of comments on the internet. 'Hey, you should not release the game on Xbox One.' I think, really, that's not fair to a lot of gamers who choose Xbox One as a platform. We strongly believe in the freedom of choice, and not releasing the game on any of the platforms would be a disadvantage.
    The above is only an excerpt. [URL="http://www.joystiq.com/2013/06/14/the-witcher-3-drm-free-on-pc-gamer-friendly-solution-sought-o/"]Here's the source.[/URL]

I find that quote to be pretty amusing when considering what this thread is trying to achieve and what GOG is all about with regard to DRM.
      #68   Report Post  
    Old 06-16-2013, 07:15 AM

I agree with them on this. I doubt they are adding any additional DRM over microsoft's own. If they could make it DRM free then they would. People who buy the One will realise it's DRM riddled. What would be the point in not making it for the One?
      #69   Report Post  
    Old 06-22-2013, 06:04 PM

I find the content of this [URL="http://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/1gt09c/preferred_methods_for_drmfree_distribution/canj0q0"]link[/URL] relevant to this request.

Last edited by FutureSuture; 06-22-2013 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Link needed fixing.
      #70   Report Post  
    Old 06-22-2013, 06:12 PM

That link seems to need fixing.

Tags

desura, gog, linux, steam, windows