Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Games

    Reply
     
    Thread Tools Display Modes
      #21   Report Post  
    Old 07-14-2012, 02:56 AM
    Megazell Megazell is offline
    Senior Member
     
    Join Date: Jan 2011
    Location: Where the shadow of Fort Apache linger.
    Posts: 3,155
    Send a message via AIM to Megazell Send a message via MSN to Megazell Send a message via Skype™ to Megazell
    Default

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheXand View Post
    We civilised types use Windows 7.
    We civilized types that can actually spell the word use Linux. You can stay stuck if you like but LINUX is awesome for those in the know.
    Reply With Quote
      #22   Report Post  
    Old 07-14-2012, 04:14 AM
    TheXand TheXand is offline
    Banned
     
    Join Date: Nov 2010
    Location: Aberdeen, Scotland
    Posts: 2,764
    Default

    I'll stick with the operating system that games run on I think.
    Reply With Quote
      #23   Report Post  
    Old 07-14-2012, 03:10 PM
    Megazell Megazell is offline
    Senior Member
     
    Join Date: Jan 2011
    Location: Where the shadow of Fort Apache linger.
    Posts: 3,155
    Send a message via AIM to Megazell Send a message via MSN to Megazell Send a message via Skype™ to Megazell
    Default

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheXand View Post
    I'll stick with the operating system that games run on I think.
    Games run on Linux. Stop trying to deceive the readers of the forums as if Linux is unable to run games, thanks.
    Reply With Quote
      #24   Report Post  
    Old 07-14-2012, 05:35 PM
    Belimawr Belimawr is offline
    Senior Member
     
    Join Date: Jun 2010
    Posts: 14,598
    Default

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Megazell View Post
    Games run on Linux. Stop trying to deceive the readers of the forums as if Linux is unable to run games, thanks.
    yes but linux runs most games like my PC runs PS1 games.
    Reply With Quote
      #25   Report Post  
    Old 07-14-2012, 05:52 PM
    Katar Katar is offline
    Senior Member
     
    Join Date: Jun 2010
    Posts: 407
    Default

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Megazell View Post
    We civilized types that can actually spell the word use Linux. You can stay stuck if you like but LINUX is awesome for those in the know.
    If you are going to criticise someones spelling you should at least get it right. -ise and -ize are both acceptable spellings of Civilized according to my copy of the Oxford English Dictionary. So I shall infer that you are not using Linux .
    Reply With Quote
      #26   Report Post  
    Old 07-14-2012, 10:35 PM
    Megazell Megazell is offline
    Senior Member
     
    Join Date: Jan 2011
    Location: Where the shadow of Fort Apache linger.
    Posts: 3,155
    Send a message via AIM to Megazell Send a message via MSN to Megazell Send a message via Skype™ to Megazell
    Default

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Belimawr View Post
    yes but linux runs most games like my PC runs PS1 games.
    See this is where I would say you are either lying *out of ignorance* or intentionally trying to deceive the public of this forum that what you say is true.

    Linux has a ton of freeware, retail and open source games that run fine as is. One can truthfully argue that mainstream production games are not readily available and be correct but that would be about it. Plenty of indie bundles and other games come with native Linux support easily.

    Fox News inflirating PC Gamer forums wholesale these days. Shameful.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Katar View Post
    If you are going to criticise someones spelling you should at least get it right. -ise and -ize are both acceptable spellings of Civilized according to my copy of the Oxford English Dictionary. So I shall infer that you are not using Linux .
    My Oxford add on for Chrome says otherwise! Linux Forever!
    Reply With Quote
      #27   Report Post  
    Old 07-14-2012, 11:09 PM
    Belimawr Belimawr is offline
    Senior Member
     
    Join Date: Jun 2010
    Posts: 14,598
    Default

    Quote:
    One can truthfully argue that mainstream production games are not readily available and be correct but that would be about it.
    and this would be why I said most you are a minority not a majority, the majority of gamers want to play mainstream games therefore my statement is true, but then you can't win an augment other than just claiming everyone is lying and you are telling the truth.

    Quote:
    My Oxford add on for Chrome says otherwise!
    how about we learn that some people here are English and as such use English and not American or are you also going to go round calling everyone for using any number of other words that have slight differences in spelling from English to American, if anything it shows a greater lack of intelligence when you seem not to be aware of this and to be fair Z and S swapping is nearly as common as American words lacking U's.
    Reply With Quote
      #28   Report Post  
    Old 07-15-2012, 12:52 AM
    Megazell Megazell is offline
    Senior Member
     
    Join Date: Jan 2011
    Location: Where the shadow of Fort Apache linger.
    Posts: 3,155
    Send a message via AIM to Megazell Send a message via MSN to Megazell Send a message via Skype™ to Megazell
    Default

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Belimawr View Post
    and this would be why I said most you are a minority not a majority, the majority of gamers want to play mainstream games therefore my statement is true, but then you can't win an augment other than just claiming everyone is lying and you are telling the truth.
    The statement you made - which was
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Belimawr View Post
    yes but linux runs most games like my PC runs PS1 games.
    IS NOT true. The most you are referring to was about the games not the players.

    I don't mind losing an argument if I am PROVEN to be incorrect. You used a broad brush to generalize the games that can run on LINUX to be like PS1 which is such an extreme exaggeration that it boarders on falsehood.

    I'm not trying to win any arguments. That may be your motive but not mine. I'm just trying to clear the air.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Belimawr View Post
    how about we learn that some people here are English and as such use English and not American or are you also going to go round calling everyone for using any number of other words that have slight differences in spelling from English to American, if anything it shows a greater lack of intelligence when you seem not to be aware of this and to be fair Z and S swapping is nearly as common as American words lacking U's.
    How about we learn to speak with facts?

    Last edited by Megazell; 07-15-2012 at 12:56 AM.
    Reply With Quote
      #29   Report Post  
    Old 07-15-2012, 01:42 PM
    Bungo Bungo is offline
    Senior Member
     
    Join Date: Aug 2010
    Posts: 122
    Default

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Belimawr View Post
    how about we learn that some people here are English and as such use English and not American
    How about realising plenty of people speak the Queen's English without being English?

    On topic however, there have been numerous attempts to bring more games to Linux but the problem is always commerciality. The numbers would have to be much higher than 4,500 to make a business even think about it. That's setting aside issues like DirectX which further tie games into a Microsoft OS.
    Reply With Quote
      #30   Report Post  
    Old 07-15-2012, 02:05 PM
    Belimawr Belimawr is offline
    Senior Member
     
    Join Date: Jun 2010
    Posts: 14,598
    Default

    Quote:
    IS NOT true. The most you are referring to was about the games not the players.

    I don't mind losing an argument if I am PROVEN to be incorrect. You used a broad brush to generalize the games that can run on LINUX to be like PS1 which is such an extreme exaggeration that it boarders on falsehood.

    I'm not trying to win any arguments. That may be your motive but not mine. I'm just trying to clear the air.
    but the fact still stands, most people want to play mainstream games (or they wouldn't be mainstream) so with most people playing the main stream games it means they will have much higher player numbers than the other games, you basically comparing games that sell millions of copies to game that maybe get a thousand+ players and even that that is small minority of indie games and generally the ones that move towards main stream anyway, so you can put it that way all you want, but the fact is most people will buy retail games, most retail games don't work on Linux, therefore most games for the average user wont run on Linux natively.

    as I've said you are a minority, so you may have more games that play on Linux than don't but for the actual majority it is true most games they want won't play natively on Linux, all you are proving by stating otherwise is you think your small minority is more important than the majority that the actual game industry is targeted at, hell even most indie games are becoming more and more main stream and starting to only work on windows since it is much easier to get and work with a DirectX engine than any cross platform engine.
    Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Tags

    desura, gog, linux, steam, windows

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off

    Forum Jump