Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Games

#1   Report Post  
    Old 06-25-2012, 07:20 AM

Exclamation Looking for ideas

I'm an indie game developer, I started some years back and have worked on many games. I have now decided to begin work on a new project. It is going to be a first person science fiction/ horror on which I focus on the idea of hostile alien and human interaction. The game is not going to be a shooter or strategy, but focus on the themes of fear and hopelessness when faced with unbeatable odds. The style draws inspiration from Amnesia: the dark decent, meaning that I would like to focus more on the storyline and puzzle aspect rather than meaningless shooting. I want the game to make the audience become attached to the characters and storyline and go on a wonderful adventure. I'm looking for new ideas from gamers to help shape this game into something you would want to play. any ideas? Anything would help!
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 06-25-2012, 08:25 AM

Good for you.

Now all we need are some screen-shots and/or videos for us to give some feedback on.

#3   Report Post  
    Old 06-25-2012, 04:28 PM

I will be posting a trailer in late july or early august.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 06-25-2012, 05:06 PM

How about a parasitic alien that takes the mood and the feelings of the host? you'll end up being cheerful in happy places, cheerfull in dark places, scared in happy places and ... you'll soil yourself for the next combination. Only a few things are scaryer than mindless emotions in a game..
    Btw. What engine are you using? will you make your own engine?
    Geforce GTX485M @ 2GB
    12GB RAM @ 1600Mhz
    250GB SSD
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 06-25-2012, 07:19 PM

Seems like a great Idea. A more science fiction version of a game like Amnesia would be... not something I would play because I couldn't even finish the demo for Amnesia. Idea wise though, how bout your a human abducted on a large alien vessel and you have no weapons and your trying to escape?

STEAM
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 06-25-2012, 09:33 PM

How about a group of miners manning a small mining outpost on some asteroid in deep space wake up something terrible just as there communications are cut off.

I am thinking of something like Alien where they find and something sinister which tries to then kill them. Most of the game could be about you working with the rest of your small team trying to escape whilst they slowly get helplessly picked of by the creature/creatures.

I am sure you could make that very interesting and scary using the Amnesia Dark Descent method
    “There has seldom if ever been a shortage of eager young males prepared to kill and die to preserve the security, comfort and prejudices of their elders, and what you call heroism is just an expression of this simple fact; there is never a scarcity of idiots.” - Ian Banks

Last edited by Daniel; 06-26-2012 at 03:41 PM.
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 06-26-2012, 02:45 AM

Default Thankyou all for the help

I am happy to see people take interest and please keep posting ideas. now for the technical info. I will be using source engine for the game play and blender for the cinematics. I
    have talked with my colleagues and we have decided upon that the main character will be infected with a mind altering parasite than produces allusions throughout the game. The aliens will be possible to kill, but only with creative ways using the environment. Now for some more questions. What types of aliens do you want? Is there anything special that you would think that would add to the game? I really need help with the aliens I have no clue what they should look like.
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 06-26-2012, 03:38 AM

Don't do the stereotypical monster/horrible looking/greenhead alien. Maybe you could make them a bit more human like except they might look at bit off or something

STEAM
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 06-26-2012, 05:11 AM

Allow the gamer to switch characters in fps mode. Some examples:

1) you could start as the medic, backing up your team, and when they're ambushed from a particlular area switch to a melee character to stem the tide; if he/she gets hammered switch back to the medic with a button press to run up and heal the tank.

2) take control of a sniper-type character: watch your team make it's way through hazerdous territory from cover.

3) assume control of the communications officer: you get a RTS-style map and give orders, assuming your communications device holds up under fire. If a flank gets compromised you're faced with the choice of abandoning your tactical overview and finding a nearby melee to plug the hole, or hoping you can resove it from your current position.

4) different characters would interact with each other in different ways: if you took control of a female medic and cultivated a relationship with a male melee, he might leave his assigment to protect you if you got into trouble. If you played a male melee and romanced a female sniper she might abandon her set mission to cover you.

The possibilities would be pretty awesome.
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 06-26-2012, 12:42 PM

i'll suggest the game i've always wanted to see. make a game that is like the movie "The Abyss"

Looking 4 Indie bundles? http://steamcommunity.com/groups/IndieBundleTracker

Tags

adventure, aliens, amnesia, game, indie