Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Off topic

#1   Report Post  
    Old 06-23-2012, 12:30 AM

Default Youtube and HTML5

Some Youtube videos are now appearing which use HTML5 instead of flash by default. Anybody else having problems with it though?

I've been finding videos that freeze up regularly, stop loading sporadically (while equivalent flash videos load fine/faster) as well as videos prematurely ending mid-playthrough.

Some people appear to suggest using Chrome instead of Firefox. It used to be that HTML5 Youtube was an opt-in thing but it looks like some videos are starting to come in one flavour only. If anyone knows how to change back to flash that would be a help.

Gray
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 06-23-2012, 01:19 PM

As it stands Firefox is a bit behind on html 5, chrome is the best since it is google pushing to make the net html 5 (part of the reason they disabled all their sites on ie6) the newest ie is also decent at html 5 as ms are pushing to take out flash.

so you could change or your just going to have to wait for Firefox to catch up, Firefox has had its day, but the old Netscape it is built from will always hold it back.
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 06-24-2012, 01:08 AM

Argh, it's just always a pain to migrate browsers after you get comfortable with one though. =P I've looked it up though and I guess most of it can be moved over/apps can be redownloaded fairly easily.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 06-24-2012, 12:29 PM

most of the Firefox addons are now on chrome anyway (ported by the people who made the FF versions) so a quick look in the chrome market/extensions will find you pretty much anything you have on Firefox.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 06-24-2012, 10:32 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Belimawr View Post
    most of the Firefox addons are now on chrome anyway (ported by the people who made the FF versions) so a quick look in the chrome market/extensions will find you pretty much anything you have on Firefox.
    Does Chrome have adblock plus?
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 06-24-2012, 10:45 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DivineFallacy View Post
    yep, like I've said nearly everything is on chrome, then you have some other biyts that are only on chrome, if you want to see if your extensions/addons are there just check the [URL="https://chrome.google.com/webstore/category/home"]chrome store[/URL]
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 06-24-2012, 11:31 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Belimawr View Post
    yep, like I've said nearly everything is on chrome, then you have some other biyts that are only on chrome, if you want to see if your extensions/addons are there just check the [URL="https://chrome.google.com/webstore/category/home"]chrome store[/URL]
    Is there any single extension/feature that makes it worth switching to, because I already have Firefox heavily customized so there would have to be something major for the switch to be worth it.
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 06-25-2012, 01:39 AM

Quote:
    Is there any single extension/feature that makes it worth switching to, because I already have Firefox heavily customized so there would have to be something major for the switch to be worth it.
    [URL="https://chrome.google.com/webstore#"]Browse the store then.[/URL]

I like chrome because it's quick, light/ minimal and things get fixed quickly on it due to google being awesome and full of talented people.

Also, there's always the latest and greatest being tested on the platform.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    I think the real reason we're a dying breed is because we have trouble breeding.
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 07-01-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:
    Yup, but according to the team behind AdBlock Plus, it's still inferior to what Firefox has.

Last edited by FutureSuture; 07-04-2012 at 07:36 PM.
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 07-01-2012, 07:24 PM

I dropped Firefox a year and a half ago and when I now use Firefox again, I immediately groan at the weaknesses. That's not to say Firefox is a bad browser - far from it - but it's obvious that it's trying to mimic Chrome and is lagging behind.

Tags

flash, html5, youtube