Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Games

#1   Report Post  
    Old 06-21-2012, 08:01 AM

Default City of Steam (an Industrial Fantasy MMORPG)

Note: My thanks go to The_B for discussing with me how I could go about presenting and talking about our new game.

Hi everyone, I'm Gabriel from an indie game developer, Mechanist Games, about to release the alpha of our first title: [URL="http://www.cityofsteam.com/"]City of Steam[/URL].

Now, I know some of you are already thinking about clicking on the "Report Post" button (some probably already have), but I'm also here to talk about our new game, answer some questions you may have, and discuss suggestions even (being indie, we developers do actually listen to feedback).

So, a little about the game? (Don't worry, I'll try to keep it brief)

City of Steam is an industrial fantasy/steampunk MMORPG, lightweight enough to play on even older computers and accessible straight from your browser. Even then, thanks to Unity 3D and a ton of in-house tools, we've managed to still make it look quite impressive, and all stored in mere megabytes of space!

For the setting, think "industrial fantasy", where although there are fantasy elements thrown in, everything connects to science and technology, which are prominent themes in the game. And this isn't just some average fantasy world with a few steampunk-ish elements thrown in, oh no! The entire world, called the World Machine, is a collossal mechanism of gears and spokes, with pipes and boilers as ancient as the world itself. Current civilizations are build upon the ruins of these; every aspect of daily life is connected to the World Machine. Races such as humans and elves do exist, but they live alongside dwarves that are part-machine, robotic toilers that roam the land, and both magical and mechanical monstrosities that threaten their existence.

What the World Machine looks like:
    [URL="http://www.cityofsteam.com/world/world-machine"][/URL]
    (Click the picture or [URL="http://www.cityofsteam.com/world/world-machine"]here[/URL] to see the World Machine in 3D animation)

We're about to start alpha testing in mid-July, and for any interested in joining in, simply sign up to our newsletter to get priority on alpha keys, here: [url]http://www.cityofsteam.com/[/url] (On the bottom right of the page, just type your email in the robot's dialogue box and click submit)

Ok, I'll stop there, but if any of you are interested in knowing more, feel free to ask me (and yes, I'll be glad to answer!), or go check out our site here: [url]http://www.cityofsteam.com/[/url]

Gab

Last edited by CoS_Gab; 06-22-2012 at 06:29 AM. Reason: Link
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 06-21-2012, 11:18 AM

I like the concept and the idea, the World Machine looks interesting but I can't help feel that ultimately the gameplay will be no different than other similar mmos.
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 06-21-2012, 12:14 PM

I'm a little turned off my the MMO aspect, but the world and history are very interesting.

| AsRock Extreme3 Gen3 | Intel Core i5 2500K (Stock Cooler) | 8GB G.Skill DDR3 | Sapphire HD 7970 | 1TB WD Caviar Green | 5 TB WD External | Corsair 750HX PSU | Asus Xonar DS | NZXT Phantom | Tt Ultimate Challenger Keyboard | Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | Windows 8.1 Professional 64bit | Logitech z623 Sound System |

Steam
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 06-21-2012, 12:56 PM

I think something is wrong with the sign up for the email subscription. I click the confirmation link on the email I got and it takes me to a page that states

Almost finished...
    We need to confirm your email address.
    To complete the subscription process,please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Which I have obviously just done, and which presumably makes it impossible to sign up as it won't confirm just telling me I need to confirm
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 06-21-2012, 03:28 PM

Looks interesting. I'll follow it and help you test if needed. But I'm having the same problem as Marleigh. I can't tell if the confirmation link is working.

Edit: I got an email with a confirmation link. But it took me back to the page saying "Almost done. We need to confirm your email address.." etc. I suppose I'll know if the confirmation happened when you send me a newsletter ?

Last edited by Kuros; 06-21-2012 at 04:34 PM.
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 06-21-2012, 03:36 PM

actually had an email a few minute after using the link, so i guess it just gives the wrong message
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 06-21-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marleigh View Post
    actually had an email a few minute after using the link, so i guess it just gives the wrong message
    Same happened for me. It said I needed to Confirm again, but a few minutes later I got another e-mail telling me I had confirmed it.

| AsRock Extreme3 Gen3 | Intel Core i5 2500K (Stock Cooler) | 8GB G.Skill DDR3 | Sapphire HD 7970 | 1TB WD Caviar Green | 5 TB WD External | Corsair 750HX PSU | Asus Xonar DS | NZXT Phantom | Tt Ultimate Challenger Keyboard | Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | Windows 8.1 Professional 64bit | Logitech z623 Sound System |

Steam
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 06-22-2012, 06:27 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rossrox View Post
    I like the concept and the idea, the World Machine looks interesting but I can't help feel that ultimately the gameplay will be no different than other similar mmos.
    That's part of the reason we're more community driven. We're pushing to make our own unique game, but player input is also a major consideration for us. If you get the chance to try the game out, be sure to let us know what you think!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PioneerRaptor View Post
    I'm a little turned off my the MMO aspect, but the world and history are very interesting.
    There's plenty of solo content in the game as well if you prefer not dealing with the MMO crowd

Quote:
    I think something is wrong with the sign up for the email subscription. I click the confirmation link on the email I got and it takes me to a page that states

Almost finished...
    We need to confirm your email address.
    To complete the subscription process,please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Which I have obviously just done, and which presumably makes it impossible to sign up as it won't confirm just telling me I need to confirm
    Hmm, that's odd.. I'll have our web design guy check that out. Thanks for letting me know! You can also sign up for the newsletter on the main page (bottom right corner, type your email in the robot's dialogue box and click submit): [url]http://www.cityofsteam.com/[/url]

I'll edit my OP for this, too. Thanks again!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kuros View Post
    Looks interesting. I'll follow it and help you test if needed. But I'm having the same problem as Marleigh. I can't tell if the confirmation link is working.

Edit: I got an email with a confirmation link. But it took me back to the page saying "Almost done. We need to confirm your email address.." etc. I suppose I'll know if the confirmation happened when you send me a newsletter ?
    I tested this out, you're right, the second screen should be changed to show that it was "Confirmed" rather than it needs another confirmation email... I'll have them change this too (we recently updated the website, obviously still a few more kinks to work out!) You should indeed be signed up now though, no worries, and thanks! Hope to see you in the alpha!

Quote:
    Indeed... I'll have them fix that ASAP!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PioneerRaptor View Post
    Same happened for me. It said I needed to Confirm again, but a few minutes later I got another e-mail telling me I had confirmed it.
    Hope they fix that soon then... this is getting embarrassing

Thanks to everyone for your interest! Remember, I'm available for any questions you may have, so ask away!

Gab
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 06-22-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CoS_Gab View Post
    Hope they fix that soon then... this is getting embarrassing
    we are Alpha testing the site

Seriously though it is a better looking site than a lot of already released games, and has a decent amount of info. Looks like it could be fun.
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 06-22-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
    we are Alpha testing the site

Seriously though it is a better looking site than a lot of already released games, and has a decent amount of info. Looks like it could be fun.
    Thanks Marleigh sorry to make you feel like alpha testers for the site rather than the game itself, though

Despite some of the flaws still popping up here and there, we're still quite proud of the new site, the Site Map design especially (seriously, worth having a look, especially if you like steampunk: [url]http://www.cityofsteam.com/site-map[/url] )

Last edited by CoS_Gab; 06-22-2012 at 10:09 AM.

Tags

mmorpg, steampunk, unity3d