Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Magazine and site talk

#21   Report Post  
    Old 06-15-2012, 07:26 AM

I too bought a single copy of the UK digital edition, this time via the iOS PC Gamer iPad App, primarily for the Planetside 2 key.

Upon realising it wasn't included, I did as instructed and emailed [email]pcgamer.giftageddon@futurenet.com[/email] days ago, but have yet to receive a response. Having now read your post, Funkosapien, I'm starting to worry.

I think it's misleading how, in the PC Gamer UK App, the cover image of the current edition boldly publicizes the beta key giveaway in bright yellow. But it's only when purchasing the magazine is the resolution high enough to see the tiny "conditions apply" disclaimer at the bottom. Needless to say, that puts your magazine at risk of breaching consumer rights.

So whether I get the key or not, it's in PC Gamers' best interest to make it more readily known that the digital edition is not of the same value as the print edition.

Should anyone from PC Gamer read this, the email I sent Giftageddon was from: andersw[at]adam[dot]com[dot]au
      #22   Report Post  
    Old 06-15-2012, 10:02 AM
    Banned

Hi guys,

To re-introduce myself: I'm Chris, I'm PCG's video editor, staff writer, and - most relevant to this - the guy who looks after the giftageddon mailbox. I'm currently doing my best to stay on top of hundreds of e-mails every day. This has been our most popular giveaway by a substantial factor, and I'm doing my best to make sure everyone gets their code: but as I'm only one person it does take time.

First up, Funkosapien - thanks for bringing that reply from the US store to my attention, as it explains why some people are concerned. Digital editions of the US mag traditionally have not included giveaways, but the UK edition does. If you've contacted the US store and received this response, please disregard it.

Second - XceL. I'm sorry that you haven't heard from us - I recognise your e-mail address, and thought I'd responded. Codes were sent out to iOS users earlier in the week, if you didn't get one please e-mail me directly at [email]chris.thursten@futurenet.com[/email].

To stress: if you've purchased the magazine, we'll do our best to get you a code: but we're dealing with issues manually and this takes time. Some people have expressed the concern to me that they're 'first come, first served', and that getting your code registered early will increase your chance of early access. As far as we are aware, this is not the case: you just need to submit it before beta begins.

Once again, the PS2 beta isn't due to start for months. As long as you get a code within the next few weeks, your chances of taking part aren't affected. And you will get a code.

This giveaway has really highlighted the things we need to change and clarify about how we present codes, particularly with regard to digital editions of the magazine. Believe me, I'm very keen that we improve this, and all your feedback is being taken on board.

Thank you for your patience. Please pass this message on to anyone you know who is concerned about this.

Cheers,

Chris

Last edited by Chris Thursten; 06-15-2012 at 10:16 AM.
      #23   Report Post  
    Old 06-15-2012, 10:27 AM

Thanks for your prompt reply, Chris. Very much appreciated!

I've just checked my inbox and spam box, and cannot see an email from you. I will email you directly shortly. I might have just missed the mailout as I bought the magazine earlier this week too.

The closed beta is actually due to start VERY soon -- within the next two weeks soon. I'm following the progress of this game very closely, and that's been the word from the developers.

If I may make a suggestion, it would be great if the cover page of each edition could be previewed in full resolution before purchasing.

Also, for digital giveaways, perhaps create a gift-reclaim submission form on PC Gamer's website, one that cannot be abused (obviously). I noticed in the log file, each user has a unique app ID. If they insert that ID into said form, it could perhaps check their current subscriptions and purchases and return them with a key or one-off download link to content if everything checks out.

I'm not sure how easily this would adapt to other forms of digital distribution, but it's a thought!

Thanks again Chris.

Edit: Email sent.

Last edited by XceL; 06-15-2012 at 10:54 AM.
      #24   Report Post  
    Old 06-15-2012, 12:23 PM

I know who you are mate, recognized your name, but of course others probably wouldn't of.
    I'll forward that to my homeboy, hopefully he should be able to cool it now.
    Thanks for that man.
      #25   Report Post  
    Old 06-15-2012, 05:17 PM

Hi Chris,

I wanted to give a bit of feedback that might be important for future giveaways. I bought the magazine from my local supermarket, saw the code and tried to register but found it was already used/expired (according to the PS2 website). I already sent an e-mail already and I'm waiting for a reply, but I thought it was important to bring up something else that I noticed after sending the e-mail.

When I bought the magazine, it was sitting on the stand with no plastic or anything around it, anyone could have just picked it up, open the page to the code and copied it/taken a quick photo and put the mag back which I'm pretty sure happened to me.

I don't know what could be done if anything to stop this, but it might happen again with other popular giftageddons.
      #26   Report Post  
    Old 06-18-2012, 08:47 PM

Hi, Chris.. I also bought the digital edition of PC Gamer UK 2012 issue, with the beta key included.. or i thought it was included. I was hoping I could get a beta key as well. I really appreciate it.

My username/login for zinio is [email]adavis3918@gmail.com[/email]
      #27   Report Post  
    Old 06-19-2012, 10:06 AM

hi Chris Thursten,

i also am one of the many people apparently who bought the digital version of the magazine for the PS2 beta key.

according to the instructions in the magazine i sent a email to [email]pcgamer.giftageddon@futurenet.com[/email] with my proof of purchase last week. but unfortunately i have not yet received a response.

after a lot of searching to figure out how to get the key i ended up in this thread and read your posts. i hope your able to give me a response.

if you need me to provide any more proof of my purchase, please ask me.

kind regards,

update:
    ==============================================

i don't know if chris read this post or not. but i have just received a key from pc gamer.
    for which i'm very grateful. cheers guys and keep up the good work

Last edited by Wh33L; 06-19-2012 at 12:48 PM.
      #28   Report Post  
    Old 06-19-2012, 12:01 PM
    Banned

Hey again,

Codes are going out to those who've e-mailed me or the giftageddon account today and tomorrow - keep an eye on your inboxes. If you've sent an e-mail but haven't had a code by Thursday let us know and we'll make sure you get one.

Thanks for your patience!
      #29   Report Post  
    Old 06-19-2012, 01:10 PM

Default more Beta Code Malarkey

Hey up - just eMailed the Giftageddon eMail address about the PS2 Beta Code.

I bought a copy of the publication via Zinio Digital Magazines today, but no sign of a code.

I'm not entirely sure what qualifies as "proof of purchase" and actually had to ask in the email I sent to the Giftageddon address, so I might have just gone and wasted someone's time.

Anyway, I hope someone can help out here.

EDIT: OH HAPPY DAYS!

Within minutes of sending my query, I recieved an eMail that didn't contain any help or information about how to submit proof of purchase.

Instead, I just got sent a whole new Beta key, no questions asked. I'm assuming PCG verified my purchase somehow.

You guys are awesome. cheers!

Last edited by DressedInRags; 06-19-2012 at 01:16 PM.
      #30   Report Post  
    Old 06-22-2012, 03:09 PM

I sent an email on 15th and 21st to [email]pcgamer.giftageddon@futurenet.com[/email] and still haven't heard anything from there :/