Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Off topic

#241   Report Post  
    Old 01-29-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Burglar View Post
    Yeah that's fair enough. What did you think of the film? I don't think it's doing very well in the box office.
    I thought it was very good. not sure how close to the book they made it but i really enjoyed it. i especially liked the part where the old-timers broke out of that 'home' ...so funny.

Looking 4 Indie bundles? http://steamcommunity.com/groups/IndieBundleTracker
      #242   Report Post  
    Old 01-29-2013, 02:06 PM

Just started reading the autobiography of [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_courtney]Dave Courtney[/url].
    I hate anyone who revels in making other people's lives a misery and on principle I should have just thrown the book in a fire, but I opened it on a random page and as horrendous as it is, it's horribly compelling. Damn morbid curiosity.

Kind of bugs me how he uses the term 'naughty' so glibly; nearly killing a kid at eleven years old by throwing a slate roof tile at his head then covering his unconscious body up with leaves isn't what I would call childhood mischief.
      #243   Report Post  
    Old 01-29-2013, 02:54 PM

Certainly sound like a lovely chap based on his wiki. Something just doesn't ring true for me when people feel the need to brag and broadcast about what they've done or been involved in.
      #244   Report Post  
    Old 01-29-2013, 03:23 PM

That's what confuses me: He goes on about how many things he's gotten away with then proceeds to list them in graphic and often visceral detail. Couldn't the police just spend the weekend glancing through his book then try him for every crime listed?
    It's like OJ Simpson's "If I did it" book.
      #245   Report Post  
    Old 02-07-2013, 04:07 AM

rich dad poor dad.

Last edited by franky36; 03-14-2013 at 12:22 PM.
      #246   Report Post  
    Old 03-17-2013, 01:13 PM

Just started reading Solaris. taking a break from Ice and Fire series. So far, its really good. i haven't seen the movies[original or remake] yet so the story is new to me. not sure how closely the movies follow the story.

i also picked up a copy of Contact. saw the movie years ago and really enjoyed it. can't wait to read the book and see how similar or different it is.

Looking 4 Indie bundles? http://steamcommunity.com/groups/IndieBundleTracker
      #247   Report Post  
    Old 04-06-2013, 12:16 PM

Just read The Great Gatsby, apparently a "great American novel". Can't say I understand why. Unlikable and impotent characters, wafer thin plot, awful, awful dialogue. Unlike a Hitchcock film where the antiquated etiquettes and conventions of the time come across as charming, here they just seem baffling. It was more of a literary chick flick than anything else. What am I missing?
      #248   Report Post  
    Old 04-08-2013, 07:37 AM

I just finished Temple by Matthew Reilly.

Poor Matthew Reilly... bit too late with his novels I think. If he had been writing late 70s early 80s I could of seen alot of movies being made based on his books.

They are enjoyable, but must be read with out expecting anything serious.

Rediculously over the top writing, characters, twists and turns...

But I still enjoy it all! Temple is a great read with the most crazy boat chase in the history of boat chases.
      #249   Report Post  
    Old 04-08-2013, 08:00 AM

I'm trying to read Ender's Game, it's tuff going, I'm not a very good reader of novels.

I'll try an lie on the couch and get stuck into a good book but sooner or later I'll start to wonder 'what am i reading this shit for?' throw it across the room and reach for my F1 encyclopedia or some other non fiction tome on top of the pile.
      #250   Report Post  
    Old 04-08-2013, 08:18 AM

I finished Reading Ubik by Philip K Dick the other day. Was a bit of a mind fuck, kind of like the matrix in a way.
    “There has seldom if ever been a shortage of eager young males prepared to kill and die to preserve the security, comfort and prejudices of their elders, and what you call heroism is just an expression of this simple fact; there is never a scarcity of idiots.” - Ian Banks