Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Games

#1   Report Post  
    Old 03-17-2012, 02:02 PM

Angry Thoughts on Battlefield 3

In the wake of the 50% off sale of Battlefield 3, I put aside my skepticism and went for it. Being a huge fan of Battlefield 2, I had high expectations.

My first match wasn't exactly the nirvana infused nostalgia I was hoping for. For starters, and I'm sure this is nothing anyone hasn't said before, I was disappointed by the lack of a defibrillator in the medic/assault class until it is unlocked. I'm sure this is to prevent the overuse of grenade launchers that far too many Karkand matches suffered from, but I religiously played medic in BF2 so I didn't appreciate seeing dead teammates whom I was helpless to revive.

In terms of map design, I prefer BF2. Although I did have fun in metro and some other tightly packed maps once I unlocked the defibrillator, everything seems less focused. Perhaps I'm just not playing with the right people, or on the right servers. I just miss when, no matter what server I joined (with a few notable exceptions), there was always at least one squad that was really serious about being creative with tactical decisions. Perhaps I'm wrong to say this, but I have a suspicion that the HUD, with all the control points and (sometimes) dozens of player triangles, is making it harder for me to just focus on the finer details on the screen.

I don't enjoy seeing A, B, C, D, etc. everywhere I look. I'd like to actually take time to look at the map and figure out which way to go and the best way to get there. Giving the player everything they need to know with a quick glance around 360 degrees just leaves me feeling a little annoyed. The only thing I can't see in my HUD is the sniper that killed from on top of some building or something, because I was too blinded by all the other icons.

Last thing. I hate kill notifications and the numbers that pop up on the bottom of my screen. I know you could say, "Go play red orchestra then," but I like the core game of Battlefield, I really do. There are just way too many things that get in the way of me actually looking around and thinking about the game. At the end of a round, I end up being happier with my score than what actually happened, because I'm constantly reminded of how many points I get for doing things that I would've done anyway. Instead of doing something really awesome and then being subconsciously forced to do the math of what that something awesome has awarded me with, I'd rather leave it as the fact that I did something awesome. Period.

So, I know there's probably a mod to turn the HUD off, but then I'm quite handicapped against anyone who has it on. The less the players know, the more they band together to figure it out.
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 03-17-2012, 02:19 PM
    Banned

I thoroughly enjoy BF3 now after months of hating it if I stick to exclusively BF2 maps.
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 03-17-2012, 02:30 PM

How ironic :P I managed to play Gulf of Oman and I can't lie, it was a lot more fun than most of my time spent in the game.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 03-18-2012, 07:14 AM

Lack of viop runied the game for me. Other than that its a glitch fest (still hav trouble jumping over stuff and getting stuck on little rocks lol)

beta game is beta.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 03-18-2012, 05:05 PM

Sounds like you should be playing ArmA2 - more tactical.
    BF3 is more of a polished version of BFBC2, not BF2's remake. And the fact that they've dumbed it down for your average console player doesn't make it any better.
    Stick to PC exclusives if you want more indepth experience, bro.
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 03-19-2012, 12:58 PM

One things for sure...

There is a community of players thoroughly annoyed at where the series has gone, including me.

[url]http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/battlefield-3/[/url]
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 03-19-2012, 01:06 PM

You do sound like you prefer realistic scenarios, you should try Hardcore mode in Battlefield to see if that works out for you, but yeah, ArmA 3 is what should you should ask Santa for, I personally cant wait for it.
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 03-19-2012, 07:46 PM

I love BF3, all the normal maps and B2K. The problems are that some maps are better-suited to a certain # of players or gametype, mostly thinking of Metro, which is better suited to Rush, and that it shouldn't have more than 32 players.

I'm sorry if BF3 is missing some of the features that the OP wanted, or that it pronounces all the pts that you get obviously. I think it is good that we get point reminders, and that it isn't as obtrusive as it could be, because it is a bigger reminder for people to help their team.

Right now hardcore BF3 has a great mix of teamwork, gunplay, vehicles, and strategy which I love. It scales from 4v4 squad rush all the way to 32v32 conquest well. Not many other games in 2012 can do that.
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 03-19-2012, 10:15 PM

i dunno about BF3, i've played 50 hours and nearly reached lvl45 but its got to the point that i seem to play the game just for the sake of it rather then having fun. Which seems to be the key problem, its highs and lows for me and it feels more like work then actually entertainment and the amount of aggro i go through with this game just isn't worth it any more.

Don't get me wrong, there were times that i felt that i was entertained (with moments being particulary memorable like taking an holding an mcom despite having 0 tickets left) and not being the receiving end of stroking someone's ego or as a victim for pubpwners, but for some reason this game doesn't make me want to play it. Most of the maps makes me groan and cringe when it comes up in rotation or i can probably play 4 matches before disappearing. I don't know why.

Maybe i hate competitive games and find more reward fighting against a greater evil that i can relate to fighting against and not some prick who's life revolves around playing this 24/7. Maybe seeing all the high ranking players who are colonels or something scares me off as i know i'm no where near their play time and experience and will get promptly slaughtered.

But having not played the game for a week, i'm feeling a lot happier and actually enjoying playing other games. I might come back to it maybe in the weekend, but frankly my attention to the game is at an all time low. Heres hoping the patch peaks my interest.
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 03-19-2012, 11:05 PM

I think the main problem people find with BF3 Multiplayer, is that its just not that fun.
    How do you solve this terrible problem?
    Play with friends / play in a clan.
    I myself already had a bunch of friends to play with on BF3, then I joined a clan. Here you meet fresh faces (Or should I say, voices) to play with, get a variety of people to play with, and situations open up.
    Plus, depending on the clan, you can have games nights. For example, my clan does things where we all just muck about on our own server. So for those who want fun you can play whenever, and people will play with you, and those who want games, you can kick back and do whatever on our servers.
    Games are MUCH for fun with friends. BF3 is one of those I insist on getting into a clan for - even if you don't play competitively.

Tags

battlefield 3, bf3, hud