Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Games

#11   Report Post  
    Old 03-19-2012, 08:21 AM

orkgutz: word on the simracing tonight says the Thrustmaster F430 (~£100) is the best wheel that's still cheaper than your GPU

Holy Cow - Warren Spector
    Life is too fucking short to hear or play Freebird - Isaac Brock
    I hope I see you later, where everybody's okay - Randy Brewer
      #12   Report Post  
    Old 03-19-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DuddBudda View Post
    orkgutz: word on the simracing tonight says the Thrustmaster F430 (~£100) is the best wheel that's still cheaper than your GPU
    Yeah it was reviewed in issue 233 (Planetside 2 cover) and got 86% so i'm probably going to go with one of those
    MSI Z77A-GD55
    VTX3D 7870 Tahiti LE
    8GB Crucial Ballistix 1600Mhz
    Kingston HyperX 120GB SSD
    Western Digital SATAIII 1TB x2
    Corsair GS700w

My Blog

My Steam
      #13   Report Post  
    Old 03-19-2012, 07:38 PM

I just found out I am rubbish at car racing games. Some tips for a beginner to realistic driving games?

Also the graphics are just amazing!
      #14   Report Post  
    Old 03-20-2012, 01:12 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Graydon View Post
    I just found out I am rubbish at car racing games. Some tips for a beginner to realistic driving games?

Also the graphics are just amazing!
    A common problem with realistic racing games is that without a triple monitor setup it is difficult to have a proper sense of speed so you often go into corners too fast because you think your going much slower than you actually are. In project Cars you can increase,, and decrease, the fov with the "[" and "]" keys. Try messing around with it a little to increase your sense of speed. It will start to distort your view tho if you go too high.
    You should also make sure you turn all of the driving aids off and try to manually change gears. It helps with braking in time if your thinking about slowing down and shifting into 2nd gear for a sharp turn. Also if you don't have a wheel the more realistic racing games are going to be much more difficult. I'm sure people can play them with a controller but it's definitely harder.
    Also at first you should just try to learn one track. Practice it by yourself without any AI and start off slow. The first lap or two you will have cold tires that don't grip a lot and make it difficult to brake. Start to gradually increase your speed as your tires warm up and as you become more comfortable with the track. It's very important to follow the proper racing line too and hit those apex's in turns correctly. Turning in too late or too early can throw everything off. Just keep practicing though and it will get easier and easier.
      #15   Report Post  
    Old 03-20-2012, 02:16 AM

[URL="http://youtu.be/7QySZ8Sd1Ls"]here's a 'gentle' lap for you graydon[/URL]

Last edited by DuddBudda; 03-20-2012 at 02:24 AM.
      #16   Report Post  
    Old 03-20-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Graydon View Post
    Break before corners, then maintain your speed or accelerate slightly as you go round them.

And as darkdeus says, practice on your own for a bit, and go slowly at first following the racing line then try to do it a bit faster as you get comfortable, rather than going as fast as you can from the beginning.
      #17   Report Post  
    Old 03-20-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orkgutz View Post
    Yeah it was reviewed in issue 233 (Planetside 2 cover) and got 86% so i'm probably going to go with one of those
    honestly i'd go with the logitech drivng force gt. you can get it for less than $100 on amazon, has 900 degrees of rotation, great force feedback(this is an important feature for sim racing), compatible with ps3, the pedals aren't the greatest but they will certainly do the job and you can get a set of say g25 or g27 pedals and use those with it. while thrustmaster does make good wheels i find that their 'budget' wheels are a bit cheap. logitech is the way to go if you're on a budget or if you spend just a bit more you can get a fanatech porsche gt3 wheel for around $170. fanatec really makes some quality wheels. check out a site called insidesimracing, this is where i get all my sim racing news and knowledge from.

ps oops meant to multiquote there

Looking 4 Indie bundles? http://steamcommunity.com/groups/IndieBundleTracker
      #18   Report Post  
    Old 03-20-2012, 07:17 PM

Today I was at the local computer store and saw that they had a refubished G27 for the low low price of $189 so I picked it up.

Having never driven a car in manual, it was fun learning to use a clutch to change gears as I was smashing into walls and into sand/grass.

I am slowly getting a bit better, and am sticking to one track and car to improve my driving to a competent level.
      #19   Report Post  
    Old 03-20-2012, 08:27 PM

As they are currently working on multiplayer, maybe when it is done and working. We could all arrange a race, i think it would be great fun?
    Corsair Vengence Red 8GB
    Coolermaster 690 II Advanced
    Seagate 500GB HDD
    Seagate 1TB HDD
      #20   Report Post  
    Old 03-20-2012, 10:07 PM

fo sho

since graydon is learning bologna in a 7 shall we agree on that? (I'm 8th on that leaderboard atm, so get practicing )