Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Games

#1   Report Post  
    Old 02-20-2012, 02:39 PM

Exclamation Guild Wars 2. Press Beta footage. (wow)

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-YKm20rPQY&feature=g-all-lik&context=G2c32bf3FAAAAAAAAAAA[/url]

dont blame you if you put that at mute, but it shows start zones and a little character creation.

And IGN PVP footage.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq1rneF2SWg&feature=g-u-u&context=G2b7defcFUAAAAAAAAAA[/url]

Last edited by Shriven; 02-21-2012 at 11:33 PM.
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 02-20-2012, 02:45 PM

Its looking so good!

the actual stuff by Total Biscuit will be up tomorrow, then we can see so much more of the content.

the mesmer looks awesome as a profession this time. Rather than what it was in the original(although it was still quite good)

Steam

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phil Savage View Post
    In the meantime, you'll just have to mentally rearrange each thread so that Vexus' comments are at the bottom.
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 02-20-2012, 03:07 PM

I don't see what is so special, also it is a start zone and nearly every MMO heavily focuses on the start areas, look at age of conan it came out the first 13-20 levels were great once you got out of that intro phasing there was nothing.

I still stand by what I've said about this since it was announced, it's nothing new and a lot of people are going to be disappointed when they get it, as they wont accept it for what it is and will over hype it to the point they wont be able to put up with it on launch. (same thing has happened with pretty much every MMO that has been labeled as "a WoW killer")
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 02-20-2012, 03:19 PM

Oh #*%) I wanna play that mesmer nooooooooow! Always my fave class in GW.

This looks really good in 720, the earlier vids I have seen seemed mid range graphically. The miniskirt/hooker boots outfit and giant gazongas are a bit much but at least the legs have muscles.

And congrats Bel, if it turns out you are right you win an exactly fucking nothing.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 02-20-2012, 03:24 PM

@Belimawr, Are you being serious, The combat and the way the quests are designed are total new to any MMO we are seen so far, the totally new way they have made it so it is very focused on "YOU" and your own way in the world totally blows me away.

The leveling up process looks actually amazing is well.

Stop trying to rain on peoples parade, No one here said "OMG ITS TEH WOW KILLER WOW IS DYING MAN THIS WILL BE THE FINAL BLOW" no one has said this here, we are merely talking about how we think this game is going to be really fun
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 02-20-2012, 04:04 PM

I'm just pointing out it has a lot more similarities to older games than people are making out, the questing isn't new, it's still just go here kill this, oh wait they added some cut scenes for discussions I've never seen that done before, they added a special camera trick/scripted event entrance for an important mob now I'm sure that has never been done before either.

the simple fact is you are all going to back here moaning when you get to play it, because "it's not what you thought it would be" my point is if you want to hype the game up at least point out something new and interesting rather than a few mechanics cobbled together from different games.

but as I've said every MMO has had a great start zone/event it doesn't prove anything, a few days/weeks in you could be bored out of your skull because they spent that much time polishing the early content to get people hooked in they neglected the later content, another trait that is in most MMO's.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade I'm trying to give some perspective to try to stop people doing the same as happens with every (and I mean every) MMO, people hype it up way way too much then they actually get their hands on it and it's not what they thought, so they comeback and complain their arses off but won't accept that people warned them before the game came out.

all I'm saying is wait till you play it, anyone can make videos of games look somewhat interesting and there is a well known practice in the gaming and movie industry where they always show the best bits ignoring the fact it's 90% filler. so all I say is wait till you play it and by play it I mean for an extended period not just the first couple of levels then come back saying OMG! it's epic.
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 02-20-2012, 04:23 PM

The concept art of this game is just so freaking awsome. Make me want to take up painting

Are there any micro transactions in this game? I would give more mmos a go but the sub or poor implementation of micro transactions put me of a lot of them. Always liked how guild wars followed the traditional pay for the game once and get access to all the stuff approach.
    “There has seldom if ever been a shortage of eager young males prepared to kill and die to preserve the security, comfort and prejudices of their elders, and what you call heroism is just an expression of this simple fact; there is never a scarcity of idiots.” - Ian Banks

Last edited by Daniel; 02-20-2012 at 04:27 PM.
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 02-20-2012, 05:26 PM

As much as I am looking forward to this game, I do agree with Belimawr. Regardless of how they make it look in the run up, it's not going to be anything new. It has some nice features and they've really given the traditional MMO crap a bit of a shake but it's still an MMO at the end of the day.
    This doesn't mean, however that it will be a bad game. If they keep to the same basics as GW1 then it's a game I'll get hundreds of hours on. I'm not excited because I think it will be anything new, I'm excited because it's giving me an updated version of GW (something old).
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 02-20-2012, 05:37 PM

Just looks like another boring MMO to me, people saying it will be different but it's the same old story, create a character, login and do standard kill,fetch or talk to quests....

I'll pass.
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 02-20-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scaramoosh View Post
    Just looks like another boring MMO to me, people saying it will be different but it's the same old story, create a character, login and do standard kill,fetch or talk to quests....

I'll pass.
    Guild Wars 1 excelled in it's tactical PvP element of creating a character and team that works well in situations.