Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Games

#1   Report Post  
    Old 02-15-2012, 10:33 PM

Angry Very pissed and frustrated with steam costumer support [LONG READ]

Okay folks Iím getting very frustrated with steamís costumer support. Hereís the story, I thought by posting about it here I might get some reaction/help from the community or PC gamer in order to get this issue solved or at least improve the quality of steam costumer support services.

I was in India a while back as an exchange student, while there I bought a copy of left 4 Dead 2 for about 15USDs when converted from ruppies to $.
    I left India a while back and few weeks ago I noticed that L4D2 has gone gray from white on my steam library list. Puzzled I right clicked and clicked install, suddenly an error message popped up saying ďThis game was activated with a product code that is valid only in a specific geographic region. Since you are not currently in that region, Left 4 Dead 2 is not available to play.Ē And it gave me a link to [url]https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?p_faqid=461[/url] . Afterwards I decided to contact steam support and letís just say itís been a horrible experience till now. This is my conversation with the fellow Tech support costumer rep called ďJesseĒ.

1 Message by you on Mon, 6th Feb 2012 12:04 am
    Hey,
    A while back I was living in India, and I purchased a copy of Left 4 Dead 2 there. It was a retail purchase. I've left India now, itís been a while. Looking through my game folders recently I saw that Left 4 Dead 2 is grayed out. Puzzled I tried re-installing it again. Immediately it gave an error saying I had purchased the game in a different region and since I had done that I'm unable to play it in a region other than the region I had made the purchase in. I thought the whole point of steam was being able to be able to play your games where ever you are, whenever you want... this sort if breaks the whole purpose doesnít it? Now I have to re-buy the game I had already paid money for? And it wasn't "cheap" you know I had bought it for around 20 USDs. Just look through my steam game folder I think Iím a valuable Steam costumer as I buy most of my games on steam, and I own every single valve game there is. Been a member since 2005? I would really appreciate it if I can get some assistance on this matter, I would even be fine with a discount coupon or something I can re-buy the game on steamÖ I feel kind of cheated you know, bought the game once and now I have to buy it again? The least I think itís fair that I donít pay full price for itÖAnd I havenít even been invited into DOTA 2 BETAÖ /cryÖ

2 Message by Support Tech Jesse on Fri, 10th Feb 2012 6:25 pm
    Hello Amir,

Thank you for contacting Steam Support.

The message "Steam Error: Game not available in your territory", indicates that the CD Key you have purchased is restricted to the territory where it was sold.

Territory restrictions are noted on the packaging of the game.

Please contact your reseller for a refund, as Steam Support cannot make changes to territory restrictions.

Note: Purchases made directly through Steam are not restricted by territory.

More information is available here:

Title: Game Not Available In Your Territory
    Link: [url]http://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=1266-QFZC-2141[/url]
    3 Message by you on Sun, 12th Feb 2012 2:52 pm
    WOW so after about a week this is the half assed reply that I get? Jesus Christ...
    Please contact your reseller for a refund? You do realize that I'm not living in India anymore... how the freak can I contact my reseller for a refund?... and how are they ganna provide me a refund exactly when the CD key is tied to my steam account? This is some sweet costumer support. BTW I can't even re purchase the game because it says I already own the game on my account. If you're not ganna help at all at least remove the game from my account so I I'll be able to buy the game from the steam store.
    4 Message by Support Tech Jesse on Tue, 14th Feb 2012 5:43 pm
    Hello Amir,

I can assist you in permanently removing the title from your account. However, this item will not be refunded and will not be accessible for future use.

If you would like to proceed with this process, please let us know.
    5 Message by Support Tech Jesse on Tue, 14th Feb 2012 5:44 pm
    Hello Amir,

Please describe why you are you an IP proxy or VPN software to contact Steam Support.
    6 Message by you on Wed, 15th Feb 2012 6:48 am
    Remove it please so at least I'll have the option to re purchase the game in future if i decided to do so.

PS. I don't think itís any of your right to ask that question. I'm behind a secure HTTPS connection itís neither a VPN... nor IP Proxy. If however you do have the legal right to know so, please provide me the TOS paragraph stating that you're entitled to that answer and I'll gladly provide you the information.

Fine, my mistake, I didnít read the fíing fine print on the package. But that doesnít give them the right to be an assÖ I own 121 games on steam, which includes every single valve game. It seems they hardly care about my issue as a costumer whoís been with them for 7 years now; I got my first reply after FOUR days and my second reply after two days. Now Iím just asking them to remove the game from my account so I can re purchase the game in the future if I decided to play it. I think Iím being pretty fíing reasonable. How is it any business of theirs that Iím behind a secure connection? How is me being behind a secured connection relevant to this issue? If they want to verify my identity they just need to ask, Iíll send them a scan of my Texas driverís license plus anything else they want.
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 02-15-2012, 10:37 PM
    Grand Inquisitor

Send a message via Skype™ to SAeN

You come off as an ass, they clearly stated their position.
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 02-15-2012, 10:42 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SAeN View Post
    And you';re being helpful? you sound more of an ass. At this point im just asking them to remove the game from my library so i can re buy the game. whats "ASS" about that?

ps its called frustration. look it up in a dictionary.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 02-15-2012, 10:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to Megazell Send a message via MSN to Megazell Send a message via Skype™ to Megazell

You can have STEAM remove the game from you if you wish. I've done it before when I activated a code and truly hated the shit out of the game. Just email support to remove the games you will get a confirmation code and once you click it is gone forever.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 02-15-2012, 10:54 PM

A couple of points here I suppose.

I'm a little confused why Valve region lock their own games, although that's more of an aside.

Looking at your exchange with Steam support, I would have to say you were quite aggressive and I suspect from Valve's support perspective, they felt you were looking for what you could get.

What I would suggest is writing to them again in a few weeks, hopefully you'll get yourself another agent or the current one will have forgotten the situation. I would then suggest using a more open and relaxed tone, keeping it factual and simply asking if there is anything they can do to help.

From memory they do have some FAQs around purchasing goods in one country but then moving to another to permanently reside, it may be worth exploring those also.

I can understand your frustration but you need to play the situation in the right way otherwise all you are going to do is get people's backs up.

Good luck.
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 02-15-2012, 11:01 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Megazell View Post
    You can have STEAM remove the game from you if you wish. I've done it before when I activated a code and truly hated the shit out of the game. Just email support to remove the games you will get a confirmation code and once you click it is gone forever.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sejm View Post
    A couple of points here I suppose.

I'm a little confused why Valve region lock their own games, although that's more of an aside.

Looking at your exchange with Steam support, I would have to say you were quite aggressive and I suspect from Valve's support perspective, they felt you were looking for what you could get.

What I would suggest is writing to them again in a few weeks, hopefully you'll get yourself another agent or the current one will have forgotten the situation. I would then suggest using a more open and relaxed tone, keeping it factual and simply asking if there is anything they can do to help.

From memory they do have some FAQs around purchasing goods in one country but then moving to another to permanently reside, it may be worth exploring those also.

I can understand your frustration but you need to play the situation in the right way otherwise all you are going to do is get people's backs up.

Good luck.
    Thanks for the wishes mate. I would like to point out a few things though, mostly I got frustrated on my second reply because their first reply came after four days and it sounded like a generic auto-reply. It seemed to me that they hadn't even had bothered to read what I wrote and the costumer service rep had flagged my ticket as CLOSED. How was my issue solved exactly? After being a loyal costumer of their services for seven years... it just yanked my chains you know? anyway thanks for the wishes mate
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 02-15-2012, 11:02 PM

yeah got to agree sejm, anything that looks like a rant support wont care about, they will look for key points and just send you the copy and paste reply so nothing gets resolved.

be calm and polite when send them information, you will receive a better reply and just keep up being polite and calm in all correspondence with them and you will come to an agreement that makes you happy.

just always remember when dealing with support "you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar" no matter how frustrated you are you have to try to remain calm and polite and never just vent or they will most likely ignore you.
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 02-15-2012, 11:10 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SAeN View Post
    Lets hope that when Scotland votes for its independence that valve don't suddenly decide that you need to purchase all your games again eh?
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 02-15-2012, 11:12 PM
    Grand Inquisitor

Send a message via Skype™ to SAeN

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JackRabbit View Post
    Lets hope that when Scotland votes for its independence that valve don't suddenly decide that you need to purchase all your games again eh?
    Rather, lets hope the morons don't get their way and I can hug my English friends in peace.

Besides, I'm polite when in contact with others over important matters. That's the difference here.
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 02-16-2012, 02:37 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JackRabbit View Post
    Can't see Steam doing that to be honest and anyone in Scotland knows that Independence is just another Alex Salmond power trip gone mad. He eventually beats Labour and the guy thinks he owns Scotland, lol.

NEVER GONNAE HAPPEN!

Quote from Scotsman.com- ALEX Salmond has claimed he could set aside £1 billion a year in oil cash over the first 20 years of an independent Scotland, despite claims by economists that he would need every penny from the North Sea just to pay Scotland’s way, an investment pot would hand Scotland a £30bn booty by 2035 to buffer itself against future economic storms.

A Billion? lol - The guy will be deed by then, lol

Tags

help me, horrible costumer service, left 4 dead 2, region locked, steam