Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Magazine and site talk

    Reply
     
    Thread Tools Display Modes
      #1   Report Post  
    Old 11-27-2012, 05:11 PM
    FugetSudo FugetSudo is offline
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: Feb 2011
    Location: Portland, OR
    Posts: 6
    Question Porting to PC?

    I think PCgamer should do an article about porting PC games from consoles. I personally believe that this practice is impossible due to the differences between today's modern PC hardware and the aging technology that the consoles run on (mainly Xbox360, I think PS3 is built on linux... but I'm not sure).

    Anyways, the whole GTAVPC "thing" has stirred up alot of attention, anger, flame-wars and arguments. One of the big one's (besides the piracy issue) is that folks are saying that GTAV PC will be another crappy port! However, Rockstar Games hasn't done a PC Port in years... in fact, I think GTAIV was the last one and it took R* almost a year to get it running properly on PC (1st time Steam has ever issued a mass refund for only one game).

    Some people say: "oh it's easy because Xbox360 is so similar to PC." but WE all know it's not...not even close. I don't believe that the 360 has anything to do with MS windows, so how could it be easy? I know developers were able to port maybe 4-5 years ago, but I don't think it's even possible anymore.

    What do you guys think??
    Reply With Quote
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 11-27-2012, 05:31 PM
    Ctrlphr34k Ctrlphr34k is offline
    Senior Member
     
    Join Date: Aug 2011
    Posts: 837
    Default

    I think, as a professional programmer, and having *LOOKED* at the tools microsoft provides for writing cross-platform games in the form of XNA...

    That if you don't port your game to PC its because you don't want to, nothing more. Seriously, all you need to do is search replace "Gamepad.button.one" with "Keyboard.keys.one" virtually, the rest *should* more or less be done for you.

    Also, if you code for ps3 and xbox you're already writing multiplatform code. Not porting to a third platform for a potential large number of sales is just plain dumb. There is *ONE* reason companies don't want their games on PC; PC gamers are used to the modding scene. Why buy Generic-FPS-3000 when you can just download a fan-made mod for Awesome-RPGFPSHybrid-2k and get 99% of the same experience for free?

    Final thought: The 360 uses DirectX. MS Windows uses DirectX. Everything else is windowdressing and internal logic. IF you write your internal logic in such a way that a straight platform swap kills your game YOU ARE A BAD PROGRAMMER.
    __________________
    Programmer, Gamer, Livestreamer (on occasion), and I draw pictures sometimes.
    My wife makes cute things (link)

    Followz me on ze twitterz - @ctrlphr34k
    Reply With Quote
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 11-27-2012, 05:58 PM
    SAeN SAeN is offline
    Grand Inquisitor
     
    Join Date: Jun 2010
    Location: Dundee
    Posts: 2,957
    Send a message via Skype™ to SAeN
    Default

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FugetSudo View Post

    Anyways, the whole GTAVPC "thing" has stirred up alot of attention, anger, flame-wars and arguments. One of the big one's (besides the piracy issue) is that folks are saying that GTAV PC will be another crappy port! However, Rockstar Games hasn't done a PC Port in years... in fact, I think GTAIV was the last one and it took R* almost a year to get it running properly on PC (1st time Steam has ever issued a mass refund for only one game).

    Some people say: "oh it's easy because Xbox360 is so similar to PC." but WE all know it's not...not even close. I don't believe that the 360 has anything to do with MS windows, so how could it be easy? I know developers were able to port maybe 4-5 years ago, but I don't think it's even possible anymore.

    What do you guys think??
    Max Payne 3 was an excellent port.
    Reply With Quote
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 11-27-2012, 06:06 PM
    FugetSudo FugetSudo is offline
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: Feb 2011
    Location: Portland, OR
    Posts: 6
    Default

    MaxPayne3 PC isn't a port. R* officially announced that it was built right along with the console versions as with LA Noire.
    Reply With Quote
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 11-27-2012, 06:09 PM
    SAeN SAeN is offline
    Grand Inquisitor
     
    Join Date: Jun 2010
    Location: Dundee
    Posts: 2,957
    Send a message via Skype™ to SAeN
    Default

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FugetSudo View Post
    MaxPayne3 PC isn't a port. R* officially announced that it was built right along with the console versions as with LA Noire.
    And how do you know that the eventual release of GTAV is any different?
    Reply With Quote
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 11-27-2012, 06:18 PM
    FugetSudo FugetSudo is offline
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: Feb 2011
    Location: Portland, OR
    Posts: 6
    Default

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ctrlphr34k View Post
    I think, as a professional programmer, and having *LOOKED* at the tools microsoft provides for writing cross-platform games in the form of XNA...

    That if you don't port your game to PC its because you don't want to, nothing more. Seriously, all you need to do is search replace "Gamepad.button.one" with "Keyboard.keys.one" virtually, the rest *should* more or less be done for you.

    Also, if you code for ps3 and xbox you're already writing multiplatform code. Not porting to a third platform for a potential large number of sales is just plain dumb. There is *ONE* reason companies don't want their games on PC; PC gamers are used to the modding scene. Why buy Generic-FPS-3000 when you can just download a fan-made mod for Awesome-RPGFPSHybrid-2k and get 99% of the same experience for free?

    Final thought: The 360 uses DirectX. MS Windows uses DirectX. Everything else is windowdressing and internal logic. IF you write your internal logic in such a way that a straight platform swap kills your game YOU ARE A BAD PROGRAMMER.
    sorry i'm having troubles understanding...So ports still exist and are still used today? I was under the impression that developers build their products based on the available hardware not for a wide variety of different "rigs." I know that 360 and PS3 are built on Dev PCs that have all the same hardware and OS installed... not actual Windows PCs. Furthermore, I know PC games must be built to run on a wide variety of different PCs... hence the reason they always seem to take a little longer to be released. With these facts, I would think the concept of "Ports" wouldn't exist anymore and the devs must build all PC games from the ground up for now on.

    And I don't think mods have anything to do with whether or not a game comes to PC... most developers welcome it and feature a mod-installer within the menu system.
    Reply With Quote
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 11-27-2012, 06:25 PM
    FugetSudo FugetSudo is offline
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: Feb 2011
    Location: Portland, OR
    Posts: 6
    Default

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SAeN View Post
    And how do you know that the eventual release of GTAV is any different?
    Well, that's what I'm saying. I would think if GTAV comes to PC, it would be a fully-developed PC title and not a Port from the 360 version. But many claim that it'll be another port like GTAIV and that porting to PC is still being used today. I disagree.... but I may be wrong... maybe porting is still a widely used practice. Understandably cheaper for the dev but at the cost of quality?
    Reply With Quote
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 11-27-2012, 06:46 PM
    jon_hill987 jon_hill987 is offline
    Senior Member
     
    Join Date: Jun 2010
    Posts: 3,873
    Default

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FugetSudo View Post
    And I don't think mods have anything to do with whether or not a game comes to PC... most developers welcome it and feature a mod-installer within the menu system.
    What "most developers" are you buying games from?
    Reply With Quote
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 11-27-2012, 06:51 PM
    SAeN SAeN is offline
    Grand Inquisitor
     
    Join Date: Jun 2010
    Location: Dundee
    Posts: 2,957
    Send a message via Skype™ to SAeN
    Default

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jon_hill987 View Post
    What "most developers" are you buying games from?
    Maybe he just woke up from a coma and he thinks it's 2001 again.
    Reply With Quote
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 11-28-2012, 07:37 AM
    BadRix BadRix is offline
    Senior Member
     
    Join Date: Jul 2012
    Posts: 117
    Default

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SAeN View Post
    Maybe he just woke up from a coma and he thinks it's 2001 again.
    Word.

    I think he's referring to mapeditors.


    Er, wait...
    Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Tags

    auto, grand, ports, theft

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off

    Forum Jump