Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Magazine and site talk

#1   Report Post  
    Old 11-27-2012, 05:11 PM

Question Porting to PC?

I think PCgamer should do an article about porting PC games from consoles. I personally believe that this practice is impossible due to the differences between today's modern PC hardware and the aging technology that the consoles run on (mainly Xbox360, I think PS3 is built on linux... but I'm not sure).

Anyways, the whole GTAVPC "thing" has stirred up alot of attention, anger, flame-wars and arguments. One of the big one's (besides the piracy issue) is that folks are saying that GTAV PC will be another crappy port! However, Rockstar Games hasn't done a PC Port in years... in fact, I think GTAIV was the last one and it took R* almost a year to get it running properly on PC (1st time Steam has ever issued a mass refund for only one game).

Some people say: "oh it's easy because Xbox360 is so similar to PC." but WE all know it's not...not even close. I don't believe that the 360 has anything to do with MS windows, so how could it be easy? I know developers were able to port maybe 4-5 years ago, but I don't think it's even possible anymore.

What do you guys think??
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 11-27-2012, 05:31 PM

I think, as a professional programmer, and having *LOOKED* at the tools microsoft provides for writing cross-platform games in the form of XNA...

That if you don't port your game to PC its because you don't want to, nothing more. Seriously, all you need to do is search replace "Gamepad.button.one" with "Keyboard.keys.one" virtually, the rest *should* more or less be done for you.

Also, if you code for ps3 and xbox you're already writing multiplatform code. Not porting to a third platform for a potential large number of sales is just plain dumb. There is *ONE* reason companies don't want their games on PC; PC gamers are used to the modding scene. Why buy Generic-FPS-3000 when you can just download a fan-made mod for Awesome-RPGFPSHybrid-2k and get 99% of the same experience for free?

Final thought: The 360 uses DirectX. MS Windows uses DirectX. Everything else is windowdressing and internal logic. IF you write your internal logic in such a way that a straight platform swap kills your game YOU ARE A BAD PROGRAMMER.

Followz me on ze twitterz - @ctrlphr34k
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 11-27-2012, 05:58 PM
    Grand Inquisitor

Send a message via Skype™ to SAeN

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FugetSudo View Post

Anyways, the whole GTAVPC "thing" has stirred up alot of attention, anger, flame-wars and arguments. One of the big one's (besides the piracy issue) is that folks are saying that GTAV PC will be another crappy port! However, Rockstar Games hasn't done a PC Port in years... in fact, I think GTAIV was the last one and it took R* almost a year to get it running properly on PC (1st time Steam has ever issued a mass refund for only one game).

Some people say: "oh it's easy because Xbox360 is so similar to PC." but WE all know it's not...not even close. I don't believe that the 360 has anything to do with MS windows, so how could it be easy? I know developers were able to port maybe 4-5 years ago, but I don't think it's even possible anymore.

What do you guys think??
    Max Payne 3 was an excellent port.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 11-27-2012, 06:06 PM

MaxPayne3 PC isn't a port. R* officially announced that it was built right along with the console versions as with LA Noire.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 11-27-2012, 06:09 PM
    Grand Inquisitor

Quote:
    MaxPayne3 PC isn't a port. R* officially announced that it was built right along with the console versions as with LA Noire.
    And how do you know that the eventual release of GTAV is any different?
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 11-27-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ctrlphr34k View Post
    I think, as a professional programmer, and having *LOOKED* at the tools microsoft provides for writing cross-platform games in the form of XNA...

That if you don't port your game to PC its because you don't want to, nothing more. Seriously, all you need to do is search replace "Gamepad.button.one" with "Keyboard.keys.one" virtually, the rest *should* more or less be done for you.

Also, if you code for ps3 and xbox you're already writing multiplatform code. Not porting to a third platform for a potential large number of sales is just plain dumb. There is *ONE* reason companies don't want their games on PC; PC gamers are used to the modding scene. Why buy Generic-FPS-3000 when you can just download a fan-made mod for Awesome-RPGFPSHybrid-2k and get 99% of the same experience for free?

Final thought: The 360 uses DirectX. MS Windows uses DirectX. Everything else is windowdressing and internal logic. IF you write your internal logic in such a way that a straight platform swap kills your game YOU ARE A BAD PROGRAMMER.
    sorry i'm having troubles understanding...So ports still exist and are still used today? I was under the impression that developers build their products based on the available hardware not for a wide variety of different "rigs." I know that 360 and PS3 are built on Dev PCs that have all the same hardware and OS installed... not actual Windows PCs. Furthermore, I know PC games must be built to run on a wide variety of different PCs... hence the reason they always seem to take a little longer to be released. With these facts, I would think the concept of "Ports" wouldn't exist anymore and the devs must build all PC games from the ground up for now on.

And I don't think mods have anything to do with whether or not a game comes to PC... most developers welcome it and feature a mod-installer within the menu system.
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 11-27-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SAeN View Post
    And how do you know that the eventual release of GTAV is any different?
    Well, that's what I'm saying. I would think if GTAV comes to PC, it would be a fully-developed PC title and not a Port from the 360 version. But many claim that it'll be another port like GTAIV and that porting to PC is still being used today. I disagree.... but I may be wrong... maybe porting is still a widely used practice. Understandably cheaper for the dev but at the cost of quality?
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 11-27-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:
    And I don't think mods have anything to do with whether or not a game comes to PC... most developers welcome it and feature a mod-installer within the menu system.
    What "most developers" are you buying games from?
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 11-27-2012, 06:51 PM
    Grand Inquisitor

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jon_hill987 View Post
    What "most developers" are you buying games from?
    Maybe he just woke up from a coma and he thinks it's 2001 again.
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 11-28-2012, 07:37 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SAeN View Post
    Maybe he just woke up from a coma and he thinks it's 2001 again.
    Word.

I think he's referring to mapeditors.

Er, wait...

Tags

auto, grand, ports, theft