Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Magazine and site talk

#21   Report Post  
    Old 01-31-2012, 06:34 PM

I think the underlying problem is that you have paid money, that you have earned, on a Call of Duty game. Should we trust this strange man?

- Intel i5 2500k (3.3ghz, thinking of overclocking but need new mobo)
    - 4GB Kingston 1333mhz DDR3 RAM
    - Asus P8H67-M
    - GTX 560ti
    - Samsung Spinpoint 1TB hard drive
    - Corsair 650 watt powersupply
    - BenQ EW2420 monitor
      #22   Report Post  
    Old 02-01-2012, 09:49 PM

Steam is great.
      #23   Report Post  
    Old 02-01-2012, 11:16 PM

Problems I experience with Steam are as follows:

1 - Steam sales make me buy games at reduced prices, thus making me poor. Grr!
    2 - Steam does not sell Half-Life 3. Currently. Grr!
    3 - Steam exists in the world of PC gaming, so naturally, a certain percentage of PC gamers will complain about it. Often for no apparent reason than to be fashionably unfashionable. Grr!

This concludes the overview of my problems with Steam.
      #24   Report Post  
    Old 02-13-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by darthsteve333 View Post
    Problems I experience with Steam are as follows:

1 - Steam sales make me buy games at reduced prices, thus making me poor. Grr!
    2 - Steam does not sell Half-Life 3. Currently. Grr!
    3 - Steam exists in the world of PC gaming, so naturally, a certain percentage of PC gamers will complain about it. Often for no apparent reason than to be fashionably unfashionable. Grr!

This concludes the overview of my problems with Steam.

And then you've got the sycophantic Steamies grrrr
      #25   Report Post  
    Old 02-14-2012, 12:52 PM

i love steam. mainly its a great way to manage games, both steam and non steam, and a great way to manage friend (lol. singular). it also has some uttery ludicrous sales

BUT!!!!!

what i hate is steam itself is DRM. so why do games also come with their own DRM, what is up with steams offline mode, i have to go online to go into offline? hello. i want to use offline mode for a reason, and of course the famous old, if you get hacked or banned, then thats EVER game you own through steam gone, not just like with a console where online is blocked, but EVERYTHING dosent work
      #26   Report Post  
    Old 02-25-2012, 10:56 AM

alot of game designers are using their own GDC just becouse of the unreliability of steam. ea games disagreed with steam on battlefield 3, becouse they wanted to help their gamers directly, instead of through steam, on which steam disagreed. so now its available on everything but steam. mass effect 3 is available on everything but steam becouse steam asks for a small percentage on the dlc's that me3 will bring, which ea games disagreed. ubisoft has the ubistore, on which ubisoft is already placing 3 future games, that wont be on steam.

steam might seem great to its users, but beneath this cover of 'great service' and 'awesome game collection' lies a company thats getting more greedy with the minute.

last saints row the third went offline for over 20 hours, becouse steam failed to extribute a patch correctly, and volition Inc got the blame for it.
      #27   Report Post  
    Old 02-25-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sollitdude View Post
    alot of game designers are using their own GDC just becouse of the unreliability of steam. ea games disagreed with steam on battlefield 3, becouse they wanted to help their gamers directly, instead of through steam, on which steam disagreed.
    and this is why steam support tells you to contact third party developers directly for support on their games?

the reason for EA not putting BF3 through steam was they wanted to run it with the most horrendous html front end possible and they saw how big steam was and wanted a piece of that action so when they released their own "steam" type program they dropped support for steam on the grounds that people who wan't EA games will pay more than retail price if they are the only digital download option.

so it would seem you are very misinformed on why EA pulled out of steam, since you seem to think it's got nothing to do with the fact that games sold over origin (despite costing more than retail) has 100% of the money go to EA, where with steam and retail that is cheaper the vast majority of the time would take a cut from the sale. EA pulled out of steam and setup origin purely so they could try to dictate prices and not have to share the money for their extremely over priced games with anyone.
      #28   Report Post  
    Old 02-25-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sollitdude View Post
    steam might seem great to its users, but beneath this cover of 'great service' and 'awesome game collection' lies a company thats getting more greedy with the minute.
    its not unreasonable to expect payment for anything going through their servers. as it stands, steam make reasonable money to maintain their 'great service', publishers get reasonable money to publish, devs get reasonable money to develop, we get games/excellent sales........ everybody gets something they want.

people(namely EA) don't have to make 'as much as fucking possible!!!!!' they just need to make more than they spent...... which they do anyway.

and as you mention 'great service', i can download every game i have on steam every day for months if i wanted, for no extra cost(my ISP bandwidth not withstanding) i seem to remember i could only download an assasins creed copy from the ubi store 3 or 5 times(may have changed now but shitty drm AND shitty service don't make me want to attempt it again.)

Quote:
    last saints row the third went offline for over 20 hours, becouse steam failed to extribute a patch correctly, and volition Inc got the blame for it.
    is this the 'exception' or the 'rule'?

1500 games on steam as of january 2012, i expect you to list at least 750 that have been patched wrongly because of steam, before i believe its the 'rule' anyway

Last edited by RLR149; 02-25-2012 at 12:02 PM.
      #29   Report Post  
    Old 02-25-2012, 11:55 AM

I enjoy threads about Steam being bad.

If you look at the games list of people who don't like steam it's usually very small. They got like 9 games and half of them come in the Orange box.

I just bought Deus Ex HR for a tenner....Fuck you steam you suck!
      #30   Report Post  
    Old 02-25-2012, 11:59 AM

why did you reply about the patch thing it is the most pointless thing to try to make him understand, since he doesn't understand the developer makes the patch then steam just distributes what they are given the same as any other digital service, so steam has literally nothing to do with patching anyway. (more proven by the number of games that now come with launchers on steam and update through the launcher instead of steam)

Tags

hate it, steam, stupid, unrealiable