Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Magazine and site talk

#11   Report Post  
    Old 01-24-2012, 11:29 AM

So you created a forum account just to whinge about a perceived failing of Steam, starting your post with an antagonistic "hate it or hate it"?

Why didn't you use your first post to try actually posting in the Tech Help or Games section with your problems and actually look for a solution?

Answer : Because apparently Trolling is Kewl...
      #12   Report Post  
    Old 01-24-2012, 01:40 PM

Steam is magnificent.

That is all.
      #13   Report Post  
    Old 01-24-2012, 01:58 PM

I find physical disks to be unreliable because they can break.
      #14   Report Post  
    Old 01-24-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jexx View Post
    I find physical disks to be unreliable because they can break.
    you mean like my original generals discs that just stopped working despite them looking fine. I really do think optical media got over hyped for indestructibility, that is before counting the amount of DVD's that go walk abouts bring back video cassettes I couldn't lose them under a sofa cushion or behind some draws.
      #15   Report Post  
    Old 01-24-2012, 02:24 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Belimawr View Post
    you mean like my original generals discs that just stopped working despite them looking fine. I really do think optical media got over hyped for indestructibility, that is before counting the amount of DVD's that go walk abouts bring back video cassettes I couldn't lose them under a sofa cushion or behind some draws.
    Tape drives are still alive and kicking in industry. Can't even begin to count the number of tape drives we have in the Data Processing Machine Room here. Untold number... They're an extraordinarily reliable data store, far more viable than ridiculous RAID arrays.

Eve Online username: Illuria Nari
    BF3 soldier: Illur1a
    LoL EU username: Illurian
    WoT username: Illuria
      #16   Report Post  
    Old 01-24-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Klatu View Post

The problem with your OP (and the post title) is that it runs the risk of turning this thread into a Steam sucks/no it doesn't mini-flamewar instead of actually helping you get your game working.
    and you successfully got the ball rolling in that regard

I think Steam is the best gaming platform since sliced gaming but I also agree that losing connection to all your paid for games when server connection is lost is bang out of order and requires sorting. As someone else pointed out the off line mode is redundant because there is no such thing as a crystal ball.
      #17   Report Post  
    Old 01-25-2012, 12:13 PM

Offline mode is not redundant, I've used it many times with no problems and I didn't "crystal ball gaze". I just read the instructions on how to set it up correctly. You don't need any foresight.
      #18   Report Post  
    Old 01-25-2012, 03:33 PM

To be honest I have had less trouble and faster launching with Origin than Steam. I would prefer to use neither, but Origin for me is smoother and quicker. Steam is really sluggish for me and sometimes the downloads seem to pause even though it claims they're active.
      #19   Report Post  
    Old 01-31-2012, 10:40 AM

Question

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dannyboyslim View Post
    Offline mode is not redundant, I've used it many times with no problems and I didn't "crystal ball gaze". I just read the instructions on how to set it up correctly. You don't need any foresight.
    If you prefer Steam in ONLINE mode you do. So I prefer ONLINE mode, I get home from work and find my internet connection down, I'm screwed ..oh unless I remembered my visit to the local clairvoyant the day before and I was therefore well informed of impending downtime.

Of course I may be missing something vital "in the instructions", in which case please impart some of your wisdom so I may understand where I am going wrong.
      #20   Report Post  
    Old 01-31-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Beak View Post
    If you prefer Steam in ONLINE mode you do. So I prefer ONLINE mode, I get home from work and find my internet connection down, I'm screwed ..oh unless I remembered my visit to the local clairvoyant the day before and I was therefore well informed of impending downtime.

Of course I may be missing something vital "in the instructions", in which case please impart some of your wisdom so I may understand where I am going wrong.
    I would like to know these special "instructions" as well. I love Steam, but the only problem I've ever had is the Offline Mode. Disconnected your network adapter never worked for me. I'd do that and it'd ask if I wanted to go into Offline Mode, and I clicked yes and it'd tell me that it cannot connect and to check my internet connection... duh it's not working, I disabled it.

Now the one time it did work very well for me, is when I put it in Offline mode while I was still Online and then disconnected and took my laptop to work with me.

Tags

hate it, steam, stupid, unrealiable