Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Magazine and site talk

#1   Report Post  
    Old 01-24-2012, 08:02 AM

Default STEAM hate it or hate it

ive got a new topic for pc gamer magazine.
    steam, how reliable is it these days? how many people have suffered from not beeing able to play games online becouse of the steam server failing to connect.
    how realible is other download software? more than steam, i can tell you that. im trying to play modern warfare 3, but every 2 hours my steam seem to be disconnect happy. where the games i purchased via gamestop or ea origin never seem to disconnect becouse they lost connection to the main server. it might be a big download program, but does that mean we, the downloaders, should suffer under it? they got multiple servers across the globe, how is it possible that the server you are playing on always goes down?
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 01-24-2012, 08:37 AM

how reliable is it these days? - very, anecdotally.

how many people have suffered from not beeing able to play games online becouse of the steam server failing to connect. - who knows, I'm sure you don't either.

how realible is other download software? - anecdotally, worse.

more than steam, i can tell you that. - you got hard facts to back that up?

im trying to play modern warfare 3, but every 2 hours my steam seem to be disconnect happy. - is it just this one Steam game that d/c's or do lots of them? If only MW3 disconnects maybe its their servers?

where the games i purchased via gamestop or ea origin never seem to disconnect becouse they lost connection to the main server. it might be a big download program, but does that mean we, the downloaders, should suffer under it? - do we suffer? I don't, once again thats just my opinion.

they got multiple servers across the globe, how is it possible that the server you are playing on always goes down? - once again if you are referring to MW3 then you don't play on Steam servers, all Steam does is launch the game.

Feel free to flame some more in this post, we usually get one or two of these "OMG1!!!111 Steam sucks balls!11!!!" posts every month, I'm sure you must feel better getting all that hate off your chest.
    "...people who personify and love corporations to the point where they can actually feel betrayed by them - well, roll over and take it. You're in for a lifetime of abusive imaginary relationships."

(Blyth Jon, September 2011, PCGamer UK, p90)

Steam id: feersum
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 01-24-2012, 08:45 AM

no, im not gonna to let it by this easily. mw3 starts via steam, but also their servers go through steam. all if my friends find it annoying that whenever steam disconnects, modern warfare 3 disconnects
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 01-24-2012, 08:51 AM

The only significant problem I've ever had with Steam was one time my internet connection went down, which was a fault on my ISP's side, and so I wasn't able to load up any Steam games. Fortunately the problem only lasted a few hours.

This is the major design flaw with Steam's offline mode. You have to set it up in advance, but you can't predict when this kind of problem will happen. Fortunately my ISP is really stable more than 99% of the time. (Of course I just guaranteed with this post, that it will die again shortly )

Maybe you should take it as a sign that MW3 is crap and you shouldn't be playing it anyway
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 01-24-2012, 09:01 AM

Yeah, I agree offline gaming needs some more work, but further I've had no issues with Steam. Was in France, where nobody has a decent internet connection, and I discovered I hadn't made New Vegas available offline correctly. Had to find an Internet connection that worked before I could play.
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 01-24-2012, 09:05 AM

Never had a problem with steam, I have had problems with most other download services does this mean some one should do an article on why steam is great?

The fact is if it only happens with mw2 your problem is the game and not the service providing it, the servers are all still hosted by activision and other people but not steam.
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 01-24-2012, 09:17 AM

Have you tried the solutions on these pages - [URL="http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/34604/modern-warfare-3-crashes-on-launch-how-can-i-get-it-running"]check integrity and turn off game overlay[/URL] or [URL="http://crashfixes.com/fixing-call-of-duty-modern-warfare-3-cod-mw3-pc-crashes-crash-to-desktop-errors-freezing-cannot-install-black-screen-no-sound-and-poor-fps/"]one of these [/URL] if they don't help maybe you could post your problem here [URL="http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1191&order=desc"]Steam MW3 forum[/URL] or even ask if anyone in the PCG forums has had a similar problem to you and have they got a solution.

The problem with your OP (and the post title) is that it runs the risk of turning this thread into a Steam sucks/no it doesn't mini-flamewar instead of actually helping you get your game working.

But if it makes you feel better to think that Gabe Newell is personally unplugging your Cat 5 cable with his chubby little fingers then who am I to spoil your fun.
    "...people who personify and love corporations to the point where they can actually feel betrayed by them - well, roll over and take it. You're in for a lifetime of abusive imaginary relationships."

(Blyth Jon, September 2011, PCGamer UK, p90)

Steam id: feersum

Last edited by Klatu; 01-24-2012 at 01:33 PM.
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 01-24-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Klatu View Post
    But if it makes you feel better to think that Gabe Newell is personally unplugging your Cat 5 cable with his chubby little fingers then who am I to spoil your fun.
    I did a rofl out loud at this.
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 01-24-2012, 11:22 AM

I can't honestly remember the last time Steam stopped me playing anything. If you want offline mode, disable your network adapter before you run Steam. It will offer offline mode if no network interface is available.
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 01-24-2012, 11:25 AM

Your problem's in the title.

Tags

hate it, steam, stupid, unrealiable