Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Magazine and site talk

#1   Report Post  
    Old 08-14-2010, 08:05 PM

Default a warning on using paypal to pay with steam

Sorry how can this magazine keep supporting steam. A lot of people forced by developers to ue steam and this is what can happen to you through no fault of your own. Buy genuine software get ripped off. Bad enougth getting punished with draconian DRM but now punished for using paypal to buy genuine software.
    STEAM = No Support / No Customer service / No game.

And have supported pc gaming for years by buying genuine software, So I switched to steam as easier no boxes more convienet and i thought safter. I have over 130 games on my steam account and life was fine till today.
    For some reason paypal (i know stupid to pay steam with paypal) reversed a payment of £5.46 from steam (even tho ive used paypal countless times to buy steam games). So while playing just cause 2 purchesed from steam crash.

Then your accounts been disabled. Email regarding payment or email to say accounts been disabled no zero nothing. So tried and eventually submited question on steams website today no reply.
    To add insult to injury the conmen at valve let me purchess the doom pack from them last night. And ive also still got two copies of lead and gold to give away.

So now my hdd full of games ive purchessed and cant play. (this is a disgrace as steam have well and trully screwed me for over £1000)

My crime i used paypal. Even tho ive also got credit card registered with steam did they try take payment from that or contact me no.

So for my crime of buying digital distribution copies of games what do i get a bunch of worthless shortcuts.

So you support pc developers by buying genuine copies of their software and what happens you get screwed over and cant playanything.

Its almost impossible buy most pc games in the shop even when you do you end up needing to register with steam anyway. And then this happens.

So my reward for supporting the pc games industrie is to be screwed of £1000+ by steam.
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 08-14-2010, 08:13 PM

If you're in the UK take them to small claims court.

If you want to try out Eve Online, check out this thread, and give the PC Gamer Corp a shout.
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 08-14-2010, 08:17 PM
    Grand Inquisitor

Send a message via Skype™ to SAeN

Can you also please stop spamming this in every thread with a hint of 'Valve' or 'Steam'.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 08-14-2010, 08:18 PM
    Banned

OK two things really - we get you're pissed off with Steam, but please don't cross post across the entire forum with the same message. There's debate and there's spamming the place.

As for your issue yourself - I have to say I've always used PayPal to buy games on Steam since I could and I've never had a problem like that personally. However, I don't see how Just Cause 2 crashing can be anything to do with a payment being rejected by Paypal - Steam's systems are entirely seperate to PayPal.

As you've said you've submitted a ticket today and haven't got a response which is definitely the right course of action - but keep in mind it's a Saturday. Most things regarding banks and financial transactions rarely are open to sort out on a weekend, you should wait and see if they respond for a little longer rather than take your anger out here, in my opinion anyway.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 08-14-2010, 08:37 PM

They do pimp Steam a little too much, though...
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 08-14-2010, 08:46 PM

I didnt spam it but this magazine (and i buy it every month) Does really push steam and does give them an awfull lot of good press mabyee they could also inform of the poor customer service and the problems people face with steam. As just searcha bit and you will find this isnt a small problem.And this apears to be an issue with paypal thats happend a lot.

Instead of saying steam steam steam maybee they could do an article etc on poor customer service. And ask why Steam dosent email or contact customers first.

Biggest sickner was i bought doom pack last night.(when steam must have known they were going to disable my account) so they sold me goods with no intention to supply. Which is illegal here in the uk.
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 08-14-2010, 08:49 PM
    Grand Inquisitor

Send a message via Skype™ to SAeN

You DID spam the forum, and they cover it alot because they enjoy using it. Pcgamer feels that steam does a more than adequate job, as do the millions who use it.
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 08-14-2010, 08:52 PM
    Banned

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pandoraocicat View Post
    Biggest sickner was i bought doom pack last night.(when steam must have known they were going to disable my account) so they sold me goods with no intention to supply. Which is illegal here in the uk.
    I'd have to disagree with the 'known' to be honest. A lot of these systems are on a largely automated basis, and paying through a third party like Paypal means there's even more of a delay. For example, if I buy something from Steam, via Paypal, I'm not usually charged until up to a week later. So it's highly probable the automated bit just kicked in, the disabling of the Steam account done through an entirely different... area, I think may be the best way to describe it.
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 08-14-2010, 09:40 PM

steam support is quite good, but like 99% of support it is only open office hours. wait till Monday when support is in the office and it will get sorted out.
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 08-14-2010, 10:21 PM

OP has reason to be upset. But seriously???? You aren't out 1000$$$. You will get your games back. The system thought you were screwing it and locked you out.

Valve isnt stupid, they will look at your situation and reverse it. Just be patient. And wait for support.

You can be upset about being out a weekend of gaming, but dont rant about losing all your games.

Steam is the best thing that has happened to PC gaming (at least in my lifetime).