Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Tech

#21   Report Post  
    Old 04-06-2012, 01:26 AM

Default notsureiftrollingorjustverystupid

as in, the CPU needs to be cruchy enough to handle all the non-graphics stuff in the game, so the GPU can get enough infos to make a frame every 0.016 seconds

either that or I spent £400 on a pair of GPUs just to keep my room warm...

Holy Cow - Warren Spector
    Life is too fucking short to hear or play Freebird - Isaac Brock
    I hope I see you later, where everybody's okay - Randy Brewer
      #22   Report Post  
    Old 04-06-2012, 01:31 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ch1ck3nch4s3r View Post
    I don't understand this. Why would you bother buying a graphics card if your processor could play the games at a decent frame rate? If I take my GPU out I can barely run Windows Aero (I have an AMD FX 4100. Yes, a horrible card but I didn't fancy buying a new mobo after my old CPU asploded), so by that logic my processor is bottlenecking my GPU (GTX 570).

I'm a n00b, I'll be the first to admit, but this really doesn't make sense to me. Bottlenecking must be absolutely inevitable and GPU's must make about as much difference as a sound card.
    You don't understand what he's saying, he says your CPU could be bottlenecked by having A very good GPU but A poor CPU, so if you're going to play A CPU intensive game your CPU can't dish out what is needed to perform well (whilst your GPU can). Vice versa you could have A game that makes A fair amount of use of both your CPU and your GPU, and you for instance have A very weak GPU (your GPU now becomes your bottleneck, because if you had A better GPU you would have been able to play the game better). If you look at A bottle's upper part you would see that it is much more narrow than the lower part, thus not enough can get through there.
      #23   Report Post  
    Old 04-06-2012, 05:44 AM

The myth here is that if your CPU is running at 100% load on a game and you're only getting, for example, 40 FPS, you can simply upgrade your video card to get 60 FPS and then your CPU will run at less than full load. I found out through a $250 upgrade that this isn't how it works. If you are getting a low framerate, and your CPU is running at full load, you should look into upgrading your CPU. I should elaborate more on that in my post.

An FX-4100 is plenty good for gaming right now. This is how I see it:
    If a game can run at 100 FPS on minimum settings, your CPU is good. If you max the game out and get 60 FPS, then your CPU will drop to however much it takes to run the game at 60 FPS, while your graphics card strains to run the game at that framerate. This is, of course, just a theory, and not backed up by anything

This only applies if you are getting unplayable framerates at low settings. While running a game, use Windows Task Manager in graph mode to see what your CPU is running it.

<EDIT> Also, LOL @ the name ch1ck3nch4s3r. I get the reference

Intel Core i5 4670K ♠ Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB
    MSi Z87 Mpower Max ♠ 1x8GB A-DATA DDR3 1600 ♠ 1TB Samsung Spinpoint
    Nuforce Icon HDP Amp/DAC ♠ AKG K702 Headphones
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 ♠ SilverStone Temjin TJ04-E ♠ ASUS MX239H

Add me on Steam

Origin: BetaWolf7
      #24   Report Post  
    Old 04-06-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tr4656 View Post
    I would say "Headsets sound just as good as headphones for a similar price" as a myth but some people are going to disagree with me.
    Agreed, for the price you pay for what is a cheap mic attached to some cheap headphones with a bit of plastic you can go out and buy some nice headphones and a mic that sits above your screen that will be much more effective.
      #25   Report Post  
    Old 04-06-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    The myth here is that if your CPU is running at 100% load on a game and you're only getting, for example, 40 FPS, you can simply upgrade your video card to get 60 FPS and then your CPU will run at less than full load. I found out through a $250 upgrade that this isn't how it works. If you are getting a low framerate, and your CPU is running at full load, you should look into upgrading your CPU. I should elaborate more on that in my post.

An FX-4100 is plenty good for gaming right now. This is how I see it:
    If a game can run at 100 FPS on minimum settings, your CPU is good. If you max the game out and get 60 FPS, then your CPU will drop to however much it takes to run the game at 60 FPS, while your graphics card strains to run the game at that framerate. This is, of course, just a theory, and not backed up by anything

This only applies if you are getting unplayable framerates at low settings. While running a game, use Windows Task Manager in graph mode to see what your CPU is running it.

<EDIT> Also, LOL @ the name ch1ck3nch4s3r. I get the reference
    Ah, I think understand now. So if I ran a game at 20 FPS on low without a GPU, but with a GPU it ran at 60 FPS my CPU would be at a higher load than it could deal with and as such would make the framerate drop even though the GPU is capable of more. A GPU is confined to the amount of load on the CPU, and a better CPU gives it more breathing room. A GPU is like a turbo and the CPU is like the actual engine in a car, the turbo could be the best in the world but it's still restricted the base power of the engine.

Also, thanks about the name! My friend used to always call me it after he played Fable, and it kinda stuck!
      #26   Report Post  
    Old 04-06-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tr4656 View Post
    I would say "Headsets sound just as good as headphones for a similar price" as a myth but some people are going to disagree with me.
    I have a pair of Skullcandy Hesh headphones and on Counter Strike: Source I can practically pinpoint were someone is within decent radius.
    For the mic I just use my laptops built in mic, it works just as well as any other.
    I have used a headset before, I found that otherwise having a microphone simply attached, it wasn't all that impressive. Also with headsets I couldn't exactly walk down the street listening to songs that require nice sound quality to enjoy.
      #27   Report Post  
    Old 04-06-2012, 09:28 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ch1ck3nch4s3r View Post
    Ah, I think understand now. So if I ran a game at 20 FPS on low without a GPU, but with a GPU it ran at 60 FPS my CPU would be at a higher load than it could deal with and as such would make the framerate drop even though the GPU is capable of more. A GPU is confined to the amount of load on the CPU, and a better CPU gives it more breathing room. A GPU is like a turbo and the CPU is like the actual engine in a car, the turbo could be the best in the world but it's still restricted the base power of the engine.

Also, thanks about the name! My friend used to always call me it after he played Fable, and it kinda stuck!
    "Without a GPU" is kind of a funny statement. Your system won't run at all without a GPU. The thing is, on low settings, the GPU is barely used, and your framerate can be as high as your CPU can run it.

Intel Core i5 4670K ♠ Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB
    MSi Z87 Mpower Max ♠ 1x8GB A-DATA DDR3 1600 ♠ 1TB Samsung Spinpoint
    Nuforce Icon HDP Amp/DAC ♠ AKG K702 Headphones
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 ♠ SilverStone Temjin TJ04-E ♠ ASUS MX239H

Add me on Steam

Origin: BetaWolf7
      #28   Report Post  
    Old 04-08-2012, 08:50 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by M3RV View Post
    Should I Crossfire/ SLI my current card or buy a brand new, faster single card?
    Just as a quick note, I recently compared the performance of two overclocked GTX 570 GPUs (running @ 950 MHz with water blocks doing the cooling) vs. a stock GTX 580, and the GTX 580 won hands down on all tests.

It is still possible that one highend card can crush two lower-end cards, especially if your system has other bottlenecks removed.

I'm not saying this is always the case, but depending on what is being compared to what, you can get a "nice surprise" from some of those more expensive puppies!
      #29   Report Post  
    Old 08-10-2012, 03:33 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jon_hill987 View Post
    Agreed, for the price you pay for what is a cheap mic attached to some cheap headphones with a bit of plastic you can go out and buy some nice headphones and a mic that sits above your screen that will be much more effective.
    For the cost of what Razer or any other joke of a "headset" company charages for their MEGA-L33T UBER KEWL LED OMG WTF BBQ BOOM HEADSHOT SERIEZ headsets, one can get infinitely superior cans from companies that are actualy, honest-to-Flying-Spaghetti-Monster audio companies. Companies like Audio-Technica, Beyerdynamic, or Sennheiser. People mightn't have heard of the first two, fair enough. That's because they don't really need to court the consumer market: they make most of their scratch through making sales to the professional field where standards are far, far higher (and they don't have to worry about shoving pointless crap like LEDs or pseudo-carbon fibre trim into the cans).
      #30   Report Post  
    Old 08-10-2012, 03:47 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lith View Post
    For the cost of what Razer or any other joke of a "headset" company charages for their MEGA-L33T UBER KEWL LED OMG WTF BBQ BOOM HEADSHOT SERIEZ headsets, one can get infinitely superior cans from companies that are actualy, honest-to-Flying-Spaghetti-Monster audio companies. Companies like Audio-Technica, Beyerdynamic, or Sennheiser. People mightn't have heard of the first two, fair enough. That's because they don't really need to court the consumer market: they make most of their scratch through making sales to the professional field where standards are far, far higher (and they don't have to worry about shoving pointless crap like LEDs or pseudo-carbon fibre trim into the cans).
    Isn't that what hes saying?

Don't forget AKG, Ultrasone, Fostex, etc for headphones.
    ASUS Rampage IV Formula || G.SKILL 32GB Ripjaws X || NZXT Hale90 1000w
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM 2TB || 2x128GB Plextor M3
    2x 27" Yamakasi Catleap + Dell Ultrasharp
    Zowie AM || Too many keyboards. (Using reds atm) || ARTISAN VE White
    Steam Profile